Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Microscope Recommendations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

I have searched the archives but can't seem to find anything on what to look for when purchasing a microscope. I thought MacBeth had reviewed some once. Am I dreaming?

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2006 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

No time right now, Rebecca, but I did buy a microscope based on Macbeth's recommendation when I saw her at NACHE in 2003(?). It's a Premiere microscope that I think cost us $120 at the time. Just wanted to say we love it!!! (Thank you again, Macbeth!)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2006 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

I found a telescope store in town that rents lab quality microscopes. Just another option to purchasing.

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

Resurrecting this thread...

Rebecca - did you find a good microscope? My little one had so much fun with the 10 Radio Shack version that I thought I might splurge for a real one for christmas. Problem is, the whole one eye piece thing...still a little tricky for 4 year olds.

I saw this Digital Blue QX5 microscope that looks like a LOT of fun...and not just for dd . Comments?

Anyway, anyone else want to throw in a few recomendations?

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

No, I did not buy one. My inlaws want to get one for the kids for Christmas.

I will wait to see what is recommended here.   
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Here are the ones we have:
Our dissecting scope (steroemicroscope):Stereoscopic microscope
This is a 20/40X combo. It is on permanent loan from the local university. A stereoscope is great for looking at bugs, plants, leaves, etc. Anything where you want a greater depth of field than a compound scope. We use it alot.
and our field scope:
Wolfe Wonderscope
This has a nifty prism for a light source so no electricity or batteries are needed. Great for the field as it has solid brass constuction and no knobs. Very well made and excellent optics for an excellent price.40X.

They are a good combination.

I would like to get a higher powered compound scope soon, but the cheaper ones have such cruddy opticals that they end up being more trouble than they are worth. I'm going to have to save up and get a good one or else just take the kids into the university one day and use their labs (good to have friends in high places LOL!).
Hope this helps.

edit: can't seem to make the link to The Wolfe Wonderscope to work. Just go to the Carolina catalog website and search for it by name. It is only 69 bucks, so really an excellent scope for the money and easy for little hands to use.
Carolina catalog

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

On Theresa's recommendation (though now I think that she meant to recommend a different one...) I asked my mom for a Brock Magiscope for my b'day this summer. We LOVE it--take it everywhere. We saw plankton with it (the larger zooplankton) last month! Super cool and it has a lifetime warranty against everything-including accidents. It also has a prism thingy for light so not batteries needed. I keep it in a backpack and we just grab and go! I took it on a girl scout hike 2 weeks ago and we looked at tree grubs up close.

Michelle
Back to Top View MichelleW's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleW

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

The Brock Magiscope is very similar to the Wolfe Wonderscope. Basically the same scope, just a different company, and I believe the brock is 20X while the Wolfe is 40X. Can't go wrong with either.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Cici wrote:
I saw this Digital Blue QX5 microscope that looks like a LOT of fun...and not just for dd . Comments?

My brother gave me the Digital Blue scope for Christmas last year. I had never heard of it before. The kids just love it (especially my little ones)! It plugs into the computer and can take snapshots and videos of the specimen. It also comes with nifty sound effects and a "paint" feature that allows you to scribble and paint all over the snapshots. These "features" aren't in the least bit "scientific," but my boys would play with them all day if I let them! I've had fun with the scope too. The other day we killed a velvet ant in the house. (No, I didn't let it go, since we have tender toes and she wasn't the first I'd found indoors that day.) Anyway, her stinger (which is incredibly long, btw) was still moving in and out, and we were able to record the movements using the microscope. The boys were glued to the computer screen (It was sooo nice that they didn't have to take turns!), and dh was able to see the recording when he got home. So I think that it's a great scope, though it's nice to have a "real" microscope too.

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

We bought the first generation QX3 digital scope, and the kids had a blast with it.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2006 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I just posted a review of our new microscope on my blog, if anyone is interested.
microscope review

z2_mom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 27 2006 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote z2_mom

I would like to reopen this topic, if I could. I am needing to buy a microscope for my daughter. We will be doing junior high school level science next year. I am planning on doing a life science study and adding in some dissections--a worm and a frog. My daughter is fascinated by the insides of things. I want to get her a good microscope that will get her through from now until she is at college level. I would like it to be durable enough to last through the years for my younger children. Any recommendations would be appreciated. If possible I would love to spend under $250 but can go higher if it is necessary. (this is why I am planning now!)

thanks
lynda
Back to Top View z2_mom's Profile Search for other posts by z2_mom

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 29 2006 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Oh Rebecca,

I should read the archives before posting I found the absolute best microscope (and this comes after three years of searching) and I posted about it here or you can check out my blog!!

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version