Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Best laptop and why? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Forgive me if this has been discussed here recently, if it has, please direct me and I'll go read.

I'm just wanting opinions on the best laptop and why?

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

no clue.. but I have to admit I've been wondering about the netbooks.. bitty little things meant mainly for getting online. I think that would be stupendous.. small enough dh could take it when he travels for work.. and I could still get online for things when the kids are using the main computer.. plus I was considering higher math that's done on the computer and this would be good for working around someone needing to be on when I might need to get to something (if you notice in the housekeeping notebook thread, I keep all my info on the computer)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

All these terms are new to me, I'm just so behind on tech things! I'm looking for something small and portable to replace our main computer completely, my computer cabinet (which is lockable, needs to be my beading cabinet)

There is alot of talk about macbooks etc, does anyone have any thoughts on that considering my needs mentioned above?

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

IBM Thinkpad due to the feel and how solidly it is built. This is my second Thinkpad and I really like it. My husband was given a Dell laptop and he wishes he had a Thinkpad.

I've never used a Macbook, so I cannot comment on it.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I wasn't going to jump in until you asked about macbooks specifically because they're so expensive and most people don't consider them an option. I love the portability and useability of the macbook. I'm on a macbook laptop I purchased *used* from a local mac store for half the cost of new with the same warranty.

Some things you can expect from a mac:

** ease of use
** stability - no more crashing in the middle of programs
** pretty - i know...this shouldn't be a consideration...but i'm a girl, what can i say...it's pretty.
** plug and play - from the moment you turn on the machine, any download, any software upgrade...macs walk you through the process or just take care of it all for you. no need to figure out which directory and which file and what goes where...
** intuitive and clean organizational options. i keep a lot of information on my computer...i organize and manage A LOT from here...i like the options for viewing, finding, organizing, sorting, moving, rearranging and holding all of the information/files in ways that make sense and are visually easy to find.
** UNIX platform - my dh is a computer guy so this was important to him
** iCal!!! Need I say more? Really, so many other amazingly helpful programs come standard on the mac!

now...all that comes at a very steep price tag, but the stability and years of use we have gotten out of our macs has been the payoff. For example, we still have what we affectionately refer to as "the Mothership"!    This is our very first mac...from 10 years ago! She's still chugging along beautifully. It's a desktop, not a laptop, but we've been able to update operating systems, etc (in other words, make the machine work like a newer machine even though it's 10 years old). There are no bugs or quirks...it's just a workhorse! Our laptop was purchased from a mac store secondhand...it was part of a lease agreement deal. A company leased several macbooks for 2 years and turned them in for new ones...the old ones were refurbed and resold for half the cost. They come with a great warranty so any problem I have is fixed locally and free of charge.

Though we buy locally, and our store does not offer the homeschool discount (they do offer other sales and discounts to us though), if you buy on the Apple web site I believe you still get a homeschooler discount.

HTH...and happy computer shopping whatever you decide on!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 5:20am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Wow Jen...I've read longingly your iCal post on a few occasions..I'll have to show dh what you have so kindly shared!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version