Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Can a Mac and PC co-exist peacefully Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

in the same house?

I want to get a Mac but my dh is a straight PC guy. I want a Mac after reading raving reviews about them here and hearing one of my brothers rave about them also.

My dh is fine with me getting a Mac and thinks it is a good idea since I am rather computer challenged. I hear the Mac is easy to operate.

So my questions if you have a Mac do you REALLY love it? Are they as good as the commercials promise?

Do you also have a PC? Can they talk to each other? What do you recommend looking for in a Mac, I guess which one do you have? What programs did you add to it, if you added any?

Thank you

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

We have both. I have no idea how they are set up though. I only use the mac (an eMac) and yes, they are easy to use.

My husband is a mac guy. He was devastated recently when one of the children didn't know it was a Mac, but called it the white computer. He has failed them.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Yes! I really do love mine, and Yes! they really are as good as the commercials promise.

We do have a PC, it is a Dell that I keep in the learning room. We bought it because sadly, many of the computer educational programs (Mavis Beacon, Phonics Tutor, etc) only function on a PC.    There are software ed games for Macs, but there are not as many.

Our PC and Mac do not "talk" together, but they really don't need to (we don't have the learning room PC hooked up to the internet.) Why would you need your PC and Mac to communicate? Email? That works fine between the two. Ichat or instant chatting type applications work fine as well. You can share applications just fine - like a Word doc from a PC reads just fine in Word on a Mac, and vice versa. I think you'll be fine with communications between the two. Now, if you're asking if they can share software - nope. You will need software specifically for Macs.

Your new Mac will come with a lot of cool stuff already loaded onto it, and it will be so intuitive and pretty and easy to use, you'll be blown away.    The only software we buy is Microsoft Office for Macs. Apple gives a substantial discount to homeschoolers!    And these discounts apply to software and your computer purchase. Be sure to look into that.

I am typing to you on a MacBook Pro. It was VERY expensive, and in hindsight, I think I would have been happy with something not as "snazzy." But my dh might not have.    He really wanted the bigger screen, and laptop. I like the laptop, I prefer the white plastic case (believe it or not the white plastic is more durable and "softer" to touch than the other options.) I like the laptop for its portability - if we're studying something in the learning room, and I'm using an online resource, I can just park it in there for a while. Or in the morning, as I cruise the 4Real site, it sits here in my lap as I sit in my rocking chair.

Let me check to see if I answered all of your questions....yep! Good luck. We went to the Apple website when we were shopping, and from there you can add or subtract, apply your homeschool discount and just generally look at options without ever really purchasing. It was helpful in narrowing things down.

I promise, once you get a Mac, you'll never look back.    You might even convert your dh! That's exactly what happened to mine!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Jennifer,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

The plan is, I will have a laptop Mac, I guess that is the MacBook, and we will still have two PC's in the learning area. My dh is going to get a new laptop PC before he deploys. I think one of the reasons he doesn't want a Mac is the software issue.

We have an Apple store nearby we just have not made it over there yet, maybe this weekend.

Do I need Microsoft Office for Macs? I guess I need it for Word....did I mention I am computer challenged

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

My husband and I could be a Mac commercial. Picture us sitting on the couch, me with my Mac and him with his PC. Now, he actually is a Mac guy, but still has to have a PC for work. He actually jokes that it is his mission in life to convert the world to Macs. He has convinced so many people to switch they should pay him a commission. I know he knows tons about how they operate and communicate so I will have him take a look at your questions when he gets home.

As far my opinion goes, I love my Mac and wouldn't go back!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Bridget wrote:
My husband is a mac guy. He was devastated recently when one of the children didn't know it was a Mac, but called it the white computer. He has failed them.

Mine were amazed recently when they found out that a mac is a edible thing. They had only ever heard of them as raincoats in Brit lit. Sadly, no mac computers here, but we did have a really fun time in the produce section of the commissary that day.

Good luck, Mary Chris! I hope you love it!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mary Chris wrote:

We have an Apple store nearby we just have not made it over there yet, maybe this weekend.

Definitely try the Apple store, ours was really helpful, and our last purchase, they honored our homeschool discount and added a bit more of a discount to the price. So, just so you know, the price isn't necessarily set, but it is helpful to know sort of what you want ahead of time and about what you'd pay online if you ordered it that way. Gives a bit more leverage when bargaining.   And with a Mac, you need all the $$discount help you can get! You can find some nice software there too! I forgot to mention that we did purchase Quicken for Macs. That might be important if you need to keep up with the finances while your dh is deployed.

Mary Chris wrote:
Do I need Microsoft Office for Macs? I guess I need it for Word....did I mention I am computer challenged

You do need Office for Macs if you are accustomed to using Word and Excel. Your Mac doesn't come with another word processing program, and since "Word" is sort of the industry standard, I sort of find it essential. I'd buy it with the computer, they might give you a bit of a package deal. If my memory serves, the Microsoft Office package (which comes with Word, Excel and Powerpoint) with your homeschool discount, is about $150.

How fun! a new Mac!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Ok, my dh has a theory that diehard Mac users are more likely to be left handed than PC users.
So, are you left handed?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote Tami

lapazfarm wrote:
Ok, my dh has a theory that diehard Mac users are more likely to be left handed than PC users.
So, are you left handed?

Is that because he thinks they're right-brained?   

Dh is a Mac diehard, but right handed! But he's strong in right and left brain characteristics.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

We are both righties although my husband calls me a "closet lefty" because of certain things I do like a left hander.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Theresa,

My dh is a die-hard Mac fan, and he is right-handed. When he had to use PCs at work, he would rant and rave about how awful they are. We currently have five Macs of varying ages.

I must say that I do prefer the security of using a Mac as well as the ease. As my dh has explained it to me, PCs are just not secure because of the underlying software structure. (Please note that my dh has also enhanced the security of our Macs and also the network that ties them together. Btw, NSA has a special (and free IIRC) seventy-five page ;manual on security for Macs.)

In Christ,
Deborah

Back to Top View mom3aut1not's Profile Search for other posts by mom3aut1not

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

hmmm....my dh was a lefty that was forced to be a rightie.....

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

LOL! It's just a theory he has because most of the folks we know who love their Macs are lefties. I'm sure it is just an odd coincidence, but you never know.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Macmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Macmom

I must brag here_
Apple gives a discount to homeschoolers because of MY husband!

He was an Apple distinguished educator of the year at one time, and since then, he has been sent to many conferences to speak on their behalf (he went to Vienna in October and will be going to Holland on Apple's nickel in May!). He asked them to give homeschoolers the same discount they give schools. No PC company does THAT!!!

That being said, we are a Mac family- 4 imacs and 2 laptops. (Did I mention no stupid viruses and constant crashes?) Can a Mac and a PC exist together? Of course! But I think the Mac user gets the better end of the deal. Our Macs can even run Microsoft junk... um... I mean software... when we need them to. I like how intuitive the Apple system is, easier for an idiot like me to figure out. Macs are also for the more artistic- most design schools use them, as well as computer art classes. Worth every penny to buy a Mac over a PC!

Peace,
Macmom

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

We have a mac laptop (which is what I use primarily) and we also have a PC laptop and a PC desktop.

I love my mac .

Oh! for word processing, etc, you can download Neo Office. It opens word docs, etc, and it is free. It is the Mac version of Open Office.

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 10 2007 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Well friends....... I am writing to you from my new Mac!

I sent this thread to my dh, when he read it in the USO at the airport, he caused quite a stir when he burst out laughing. Now really, I cannot for the life of me imagine why    

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. Dh also found your answers very insightful.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 11 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Congratulations, Mary Chris! I was at a silent auction the other night, and they had a Vera Bradley laptop bag. I thought of you.   

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 11 2007 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mary Chris wrote:
Well friends....... I am writing to you from my new Mac!   

Yay Mary Chris!!! How fun and shiny a new Mac is!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version