Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: learning language arts through literature Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mamalove
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2007 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote mamalove

has anyone used this program from common sense press?
Back to Top View mamalove's Profile Search for other posts by mamalove

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2007 at 6:29am | IP Logged Quote Erin

I haven't used it but my irl friend has. She says its good for the younger years but you have to watch the older grades (I think from the tan colour books onwards) as they are Protestant.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2007 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Yes--we are using the yellow book. What info do you need?
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

mamalove
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2007 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote mamalove

i am just wondering if you like them, if they are easy for mom to use, engaging for the children, and not anti catholic (which was posted above that they are protestant)are the protestant elements workable into our faith?
just give me some feedback if you can on how workable they are.
Back to Top View mamalove's Profile Search for other posts by mamalove

ann@home
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2007 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote ann@home

mom2mpr wrote:
Yes--we are using the yellow book. What info do you need?
Anne

Not to hijack the thread.....but how did you like yellow? I have the current teacher manual for this and have been debating about this for next yr. We have other things we're doing now (Spectrum phonics, HWT, copywork, reading, and sporadic grammar at best) that work OK but I don't feel like his LA is pulled together at all and I know we have gaps.
Gaps don't bother me that much except that I know he is behind in grammar and reading to some extent.
I wondered if LLATL for 3rd grade might make it more cohesive and help with retention.
Thoughts on any of these ideas?
thanks!

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2007 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

We have found it....OK.
For me it is fairly easy to follow and scripted. My only issue is at times it is hard for ds to figure out what I want him to do--he gets lost in the outline format and it is all mashed together--there is not a lot of white space on the page. So, occasionally I do have to take the section I want him to work on and retype it in Word on its own piece of paper. The pages are black and white and while he prefers color this hasn't been a huge problem(in math it is!!)
I haven't hit anything anti-Catholic. We are in lower levels though.
Ds enjoys it most days. It is pretty easy for him though.
We came from Sonlight LA and really enjoyed that. I didn't feel ds was ready for SL2 so patched this year together with LLATL. I thought it was closest to SL. One thing that does bother us is it uses a quote from literature but you usually aren't reading that poem or passage from a story in whole. We are going to try to find the stories at the library in the future.
Overall it has been an OK experience. Not awful, not WOW!
Hope that helps--oh, and ds is not a workbook person so that might be another part of the fact is wasn't steller in our book.
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 26 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here are discussions in a couple previous threads.

Learning Language Arts Through Literature
Learning Language Arts thru Lit

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

ann@home
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 27 2007 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote ann@home

Thank you Anne and Mary for the links, that was helpful. I'm still not sure what we're going to do but at least it gives me more concrete info to work with.

I love the IDEA of the program, just wish some of the work was more fleshed out and organized a bit better.....sounds like a godd thing for someone to create

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

I just bought the Gold book (High School American Literature) after previewing some samples online. From the samples, I did not notice anything anti-Catholic in this particular volume - the 7th and 8th grade volumes, as well as the Gold British Lit. volume DO contain some very slanted, Protestant viewpoints and/or make use of Evangelical Protestant novels (e.g., Adam and His Kin, God's Smuggler, Eric Liddell Biography), that as a Catholic would not interest me. I purchased the Am. Lit. book because 1) it uses some very good works of literature (novels, short stories and poetry, as well as some composition instruction in the last unit) 2) I am expecting a new baby in August and do not have the time or energy to chase my 9th Grader down (at almost 6'1", he can be quite hard to catch, even without the "baby belly" slowing me down!) and am looking forward to having a guide from which I can use as a lesson plan for him and a list of pertinent points of discussion for the two of us to talk about later and finally, because the lessons look complete and seem to cover much of what I learned as a high school student in honors English. I have not yet received it, so as soon as it arrives and I have the chance to actually go through it, I will post more.

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2007 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote time4tea

I also wanted to add that I first became aware of the series because Laura Berquist recommends the LLATL (I believe it is the)Purple book in Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum. Cathy Duffy, also a Catholic, has also selected it as one of her "Top Picks" in her curriculum guide, so I figured it must be worth something just to have a look.

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version