Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: can you explain the Karaoke machine Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 07 2009 at 10:21pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I think I understand what Karaoke is. However, I don't "get" what the machines do. I saw a standing one/podium one, whatever it was called, at Costco recently. I always have some dc with me so I can't stop to read it to understand it or they ask a bazillion questions, mainly can we get it, can we get it?

So I thought I'd see if anyone here has had experience with any karaoke machine. Are they obnoxious? Worth it? How do you get the music for it? I was thinking about it for my oldest dc for Christmas.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 07 2009 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

you get special cd's for it.. they're no harder to get than regular cd's.. check out amazon.

they play the music with or without someone singing the words and show the words on the screen so that you can be the singer.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2009 at 11:21pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

karaoke machines are obnoxious when they belong to the neighbors down the street who croon along, loudly, off-key and FOR HOURS AT A TIME.

but for YOU, I imagine they could be a creative, enjoyable family experience! (our neighbors certainly love theirs!)

dunno if that helps, but I had to chime in. they really are very popular around here. unfortunately I don't have any insight on the mechanics, just the acoustic capabilities.

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Viviane

Yep we'd have some serious volume controls.

And good to know Jodie you can get those CDs at Amazon.

Still pondering...

Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote JenPre

My sister has one and has had one for a few years and it's fun! (Of course it can get a little obnoxious at times but it's all in how one goes about using it!!) None of us can sing well but we have fun every once in awhile when we're all together using it...just like we're in a real karaoke place!

And the cd's are easy to buy like Jodie said.

It really can be a fun family time if your family is into singing and being a little silly at times!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

our extended family has several magic mics which is what i would get if we ever decide to get one. at parties when people start to get bored they just take out the magic mic and the fun begins again. it usually goes on until everyone leaves, since there's ALWAYS someone wanting to sing something else!

here's their FAQ section

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

stefoodie wrote:
our extended family has several magic mics which is what i would get if we ever decide to get one.

This looks like the one my in-laws have--must be a Filipino thing! They love karaoke, and it's always out when family or friends are over. (Luckily, they have finally accepted that I am just not a karaoke person and don't try to persuade me to sing anymore! ) For the one they have, the songs are uploaded into the microphone/receiver, and you just dial in the numbers of the song you want and up it pops on the screen. It also gives you a "score" when you're done.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

DominaCaeli wrote:
stefoodie wrote:
our extended family has several magic mics which is what i would get if we ever decide to get one.

This looks like the one my in-laws have--must be a Filipino thing!

It IS.   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

They are not so obnoxious after the second glass of red.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Lisbet wrote:

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 08 2009 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

We get our week's worth every Thursday night when the bar the next block over has karaoke.

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

There's a couple of different types of karaoke machines. Some have a built-in screen and some are just hooked up to your television (or both). Karaoke discs are widely available, even places like Wal-mart/K-mart sometimes have a small selection. Your best bet is the internet, though. Some places will even let you make your own disc, although it's a bit more expensive.

We've had machines for about 10 years. (Ours get a lot of wear and tear.) Lately we've been doing more Rock Band with the Wii, though. We went out to karaoke for the first time in a few years, and the technology has changed so much to where it is now mostly on computers.

We've had a lot of fun with our own machine. We used to go out quite a lot, too, (pre-kids) and used our machine for practice in addition to party fun. Since the kids, it has scratched our itch when we couldn't go out. And as the kids have gotten older, they have started singing now, too. I used to joke that my oldest was going to learn to read by singing karaoke.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

It sounds like fun!!! We have the American Idol board game which comes with a dvd. That is the closest thing we have to Karaoke here. My dc love it and it's a fave, boys and girls, when friends are over. I think we will invest in something. I can see how it would carry us through the teenage years!

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 13 2010 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

My daughter is interested in a Karaoke machine for her birthday. I don't know what to look for or what to expect to pay. Can anyone recommend a reasonable one?

Also, she sings in the choir at Mass and loves the songs she's learned. Can you get Catholic music CDs for the Karaoke?
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2010 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't know if you can get the Catholic music on CDs but you can sing along with any cd.

And a "new" thing that's sorta simliar.. you can get it for the PS2 (maybe PS3?) but it's called Sing Star I believe.. but the graphics are really nice and you sing with the artist.. and it shows you if you're too high or too low types of things. But it's fun because it's more a game than a performance. My sister has it and we've played it a few times.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Lisbet wrote:

I know that kids really enjoy them. I like the ones that are like CD players that hook up to the TV.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version