Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Horse movie recommendation? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but here goes:

My youngest daughter's birthday is coming up and she has chosen a horse theme. We have recently enjoyed some non-animated movies together like Singing in the Rain, Pride and Prejudice, Anne of Green Gables and I wanted to find a movie about horses for us to watch on her birthday that is not a cartoon. It has been too long since I have seen National Velvet to remember what it was about and I know there is a new movie out called Flicka but that is all I know.

Does anyone have one they could recommend and kind of give me a heads up on? She is turning 7 and is on the sensitive side. No Old Yeller surprises please!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Matilda,

We weren't keen on Flicka...there's Spirit - animated horse movie, but might be seen as PC. It's narrated by Matt Damon and soundtrack by Bryan Adams.

There's always Black Beauty, the American girl movie Felicity has a horse story, My Little Pony (we've not seen these so it's just a suggestion).

Our all time favorite was Black Stallion - my children loved this...and we watched it after I read the story aloud to my then 5, 4, 3, and 2 year olds - it's hard to believe that was nearly 5 years ago!

Hope that helps, Matilda!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

ladybugs wrote:
We weren't keen on Flicka...

Sorry I don't have any recommendations for you, Matilda, but I just wanted to say that my husband and I weren't fans of Flicka either. I don't have children old enough to watch movies, so I can't say how a child would react, but I just didn't like the message of the film. The usual teenage angst kind of thing, I thought.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

There is the movie Dreamer. (the link provides a Catholic review and they give it a general patronage)It is a good movie, however, there is one scene where there is a race track accident. I guess it would depend on the child. Also, the little girl is a bit mouthy and disobedient but nothing that can't be discussed.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

Well, I really loved the Black Stallion as a child. Black Beauty is also a good one. I enjoyed Hidalgo but that's probably not suitable for a 7 year old. My 7 year old liked Spirit, but my dh thought it was pure twaddle.

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

What about the American Girl movie - Felicity while it's not "about" horses there is a thread running through it about a horse.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I don't have any movies to add , but if your daughter is sensitive Black Beauty has many sad parts. He basically goes from the best life to the worst with many harsh masters--I'm remembering the alcoholic who whips him when there is something wrong with his foot, the fire, and Ginger dying--but there are happy parts too. Just some thoughts to help... I hope....

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

Spirit is the only one I can recommend..as we haven't seen any of those other since I was young... lol

my girls, 7 and 8 love that movie and the music. the will sing for days afterward.
I don't find it that PC... just the white man expanding across the US....

we thought is was cool that it was narrated from the horse's point of view. and it has realistic horse sounds.... youngest (almost 3) loves to imitate the horse.

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

aiereis
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote aiereis

I haven't seen Black Beauty since I was a child, but I remember being disturbed by it. I remember liking the Black Stallion when I was young, but it has been too long for me to remember if there are any objectionable parts. There is a movie called The Miracle of the White Stallions which I remember enjoying quite a bit. It is a Disney movie about how the famous Lipizzaner horses were saved during World War II. I don't remember any scary parts and it has a happy ending.

Christina
Back to Top View aiereis's Profile Search for other posts by aiereis

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I'd nix Spirit. Here's a review I thought was pretty spot-on.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote SallyT

What about National Velvet? It's been a looooong time since I saw it, too, but my daughter read the book several years ago and loved it. I don't think there's anything nearly as sad as parts of Black Beauty -- just a girl who loves a horse and wants to ride him in the Grand National. It's a classic movie (Elizabeth Taylor, Mickey Rooney) . . . I remember loving it. If there's anything objectionable, I don't remember it.

Sally

Leocea
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Leocea

Okay, maybe I am in the minority, but I enjoyed Spirit.
Now that I read the review, of course, I feel bad about liking it so much! The PC part never occurred to me. I mean, if you look back in history, Native Americans *were* more like horse whisperers than the average pioneer. At least, that's what I have always believed. Hmm. Uh-oh, is that really true???
Okay, is the point -that not all Native Americans were that in-tune with nature, that it is a misconception? I was always under the impression that the Native Americans were very in-tune with nature, and when the *white men* came, we pretty much messed things up for them. As far as killing millions of bison and cutting down trees for the railroad. Also, moving them to reservations, calling them savages, etc. (Lots of stuff to feel bad about now, of course!) Does this movie make the *white men* seem TOO bad? I'm just not sure where it strays too far from what I have always thought historically happened. Maybe that the Native Americans are shown in too perfect a light? Is this it? I'm thinking that I have been misled by my local public school system!
I was just so happy there was no sex in it, and Spirit's mother was alive, unlike so many of Disney's movies.
I also <blush> like the music, and the scene where the horse misses his family always makes us cry.

I agree that Flicka is about a lot of teen stuff, but my daughter still likes it.
What is it with the theme of... Father says NO! Daughter sneaks out, *repeatedly* *unsupervised* *at night!* to meet with a horse. It happens in Felicity and in Flicka, the father tells her not to do things, and she constantly disobeys. She then gets what she wants, in the end.

Back to Top View Leocea's Profile Search for other posts by Leocea

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2007 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I second the suggestion for "Miracle of the White Stallions" -- very cool movie. Another Disney is "The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit" with Dean Jones -- a classic from my childhood !

"National Velvet" with Liz Taylor and Mickey Rooney is really good as is the "Story of Seabiscuit" (with Shirley Temple doing a really bad Irish accent, but otherwise it's good).

"Black Stallion" from Francis Ford Coppola is GREAT as is the classic "Misty" (from Marguerite Henry's book).

I disagree on "My Friend Flicka" -- my whole family loves it and we watch it at least once a year! But re-reading what y'all are saying, I think I'm talking about the old one with Roddy McDowell.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I second (or third) the suggestion for National Velvet. Thanks for the suggestion of Miracle of the White Stallions. I had never heard of it and was just able to reserve it from my library.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Irene, here's the book, White Stallion of Lipizza, if you can find it at your library .... it is a GREAT read! And here's another more "documentary" type book ... The White Stallions.

They are beautiful horses. When we got back from Austria, for JP's first birthday we got him a blond rocking horse that we named "Lipizzaner" (and call Zaner) so we'd always remember those gorgeous horses!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

SallyT wrote:
What about National Velvet? It's been a looooong time since I saw it, too, but my daughter read the book several years ago and loved it. I don't think there's anything nearly as sad as parts of Black Beauty -- just a girl who loves a horse and wants to ride him in the Grand National. It's a classic movie (Elizabeth Taylor, Mickey Rooney) . . . I remember loving it. If there's anything objectionable, I don't remember it.

Sally

We just watched "National Velvet" a few months ago so it's fresh in my memory. I LOVED the role of the mother in the movie & watched it a 2nd time to get a better sense of her. The oldest sister is boy crazy (such an unnecessary addition) & my 2 oldest sons thought she (i.e. Elizabeth Taylor) was idolizing the horse & putting it above God. Still, I'm not sorry we watched it.

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and I really appreciate the "reviews" as well. That is what I don't have time to do right now.

I am not sure if we have enough time to get anything from Blockbuster online so I might have to go with what is in the store.

We have seen Spirit (it was what inspired her love of horses in the first place). While it's true that there is a bit of an agenda, I didn't think it was as bad as some people made it out to be (and who doesn't love Bryan Adams?). My kids don't see color, so they didn't pick up on any kind of statement about white man vs. natives. Their history lessons have also provided us with the opportunity to discuss the fact not all Indians were peaceful nature lovers, ergo not all white men were cruel.

Any agenda they might have intended went right over their heads. All they saw was a horse who got taken away from his mommy and friends and he tried to get back to them.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version