Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Your easiest dinner recipes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 16 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Okay, I would love to get some ideas on really quick and easy recipes for dinner that you all like and use in your families.
I am 7.5 wks pregnant and by 4 o'clock I am EXHAUSTED these days. I can't stand to be around and smelling and looking at food for too long. And my poor husband just can't make dinner every night, since he has so much work to do once he gets home, often late.

So, aside from boxed dinners (which we try not to eat often because of the wheat in them) or hamburgers and hot dogs (which are getting overused), what can I make that will take me the minimum amount of time in the kitchen?

Oh, and not too much pasta. My dh isn't really into pasta.

I'll go first and share my one easiest staple dinner:

OVEN FRIED CHICKEN
1/2 c. flour
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Shake together in a plastic bag

Melt a whole stick of butter in a 9 x 13 pan in the oven at 425.

Throw skin-on and bone-in chicken pieces (about 8-10 thighs and/or wings and/or drumsticks) into bag of flour etc. Shake around till coated.
Place skin side down in melted butter. bake 425 for 30 min. Turn chicken over. Bake another 30 min.

The skin is really good and crispy and the chicken turns out so moist. (I know, totally NOT low-fat or anything. )

Thanks for any ideas! i just avoid the thought of dinner all day long because I know I'll be too tired and gaggy to start anything. Short quick ideas will so help -- at least with the tired part!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 16 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Okay, another chicken recipe:

chicken breasts, pounded thin, or sliced into thin strips
dijon mustard
flour or bread crumbs
oil for pan frying.

dip the chicken breasts in the mustard, then the flour/bread crumbs and pan fry.

you can also bake this -- spray the pan and chicken well with cooking spray. and bake at 400 degrees for 10 mins or just until cooked through.

this also works with thin pork chops (boneless) or thin slices of pork tenderloin.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

This is really easy...

Tater Tot Hotdish

1 lb ground beef (can also use turkey or venison)
1 lb bag frozen tater tots (or hashbrowns)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can evaporated milk

Brown the meat and place in 9x13 pan. Cover with tater tots. Mix soups and milk together and pour over top.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

One of our favorites!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

These are my two staples that I throw together very easily: One Chicken and one Lamb dish

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

We have started eating Mexican casserole a lot. I make a quick chili from ground beef or pork, a can of black beans, and taco seasoning. (Could also add tomatoes - fresh or canned - or other beans, chilis, corn, hominy, etc.) Then I layer slices of polenta (comes in a tube, like sausage) in the bottom of a 2.5 qt casserole, add the chili, and then grate cheese over the whole thing. Bake on 350 for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melty. Serve with avocado slices, salsa, and sour cream.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Very easy kielbasa-potato bake:

Cut small red potatoes into quarters and some bell pepper into rings. Toss with olive oil and some garlic salt to taste. Pour into sprayed 9x13 pan. Cut up a kielbasa and place chunks over top of vegetables. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes (test potatoes for tenderness).

We've never tried it, but I've thought of tossing the potatoes in a honey-dijon dressing instead of the oil and garlic.

Add crusty bread and you're done!

Congratulations on the pregnancy!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 16 2007 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well anything will work if you pop it into a crockpot. Then you can do all the prep while you're feeling good and just serve it when it's cooked that night.

Burritos are easy.. just heat up beans and possibly brown some hamburger (seasoned or not) and have lettuce and salsa and such to add to it. Sauted veggies are also very good on burritos.. which will give you everything wrapped in a tortilla which is can be served on cheap paper plates too.

Brown the hamburger in a large skillet.. then add the refried beans right into it to heat up.. then you only have one pan to clean.. piles of veggies (lettuce, tomato, onion, avacado, broccoli etc) also possible to put on paper plates, some shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa.. Heat up the tortillas.. either on a griddle or steamed in the oven or micro.

In the heat of summer also remember to plug in your slow cooker outside or in the garage or such and then you won't heat up the house with dinner either.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

+JMJ+

Eggs and Hash browns are a staple when I am scrambling for dinner.

Sloppy Joes are good too! Here
is a good home made recipe. I use tomato paste instead of sauce and I have never put in mushrooms (but I am sure it would be delicious).

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2007 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

This one takes time, but very little labor. Really, put it in the oven and go lie down for half an hour. The house will smell great and your feet won't hurt!

Roast beef:

Crank the oven as high as it will go (usu. 550 F).

Place a roast on a rack in a pan. (Well, I don't use a rack, but you're supposed to.) Sprinkle seasoned salt on a roast. I use Lousiana brand cajun seasoning. (If you want you can poke holes in the roast and insert cloves of garlic.) Sirloin roast works well. Use a cut that isn't too tough.

Put the roast in that hot hot oven and immediately turn the heat down to 350. Cook about 18-20 min per pound for medium rare. Let stand a bit before carving.

You can bake potatoes on the oven rack at the same time. (Scrub 'em, poke 'em, throw 'em in the oven.) Serve with a salad or quick veggie of your choice, bread if you've got it.

Leftovers are great on sandwiches or on a green salad.

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

very easy cop out? Cook rice and a can of chili. Mix together. Sprinkle on cheddar and serve with tortilla chips.

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

This is one of my favorites that I learned to make when we lived in St. Louis.

Mostacolli (not sure of the spelling)

Italian sausage 9about 1 lb.)
Penne pasta
Large can of crushed tomatoes
motzerella cheese, grated
tomato sauce

Cook the pasta. Brown the sausage. Mix together in a large bowl adding the crushed tomatoes and cheese. Add tomato sauce if the mixture is too dry. Place in a 350 oven and bake until cheese melts.

This is one of my favorite dishes to take to people. I also bake a bread, bring a salad, and either green beans or brocolli. It is always a hit.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2007 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Stir-fry's are pretty easy. Just put some oil or chicken broth in a skillet, toss in some boneless chicken strips, fry it up, add some veggies and fry a little longer, season as you like (soy, teriyaki, or just garlic and salt) serve over rice.

I agree crock pots are the easiest.Put in a whole chicken, season and forget about it. Serve with rice or noodles.

At Easter time I was surprised to find how easy leg of lamb is to cook-just rub with oil and garlic and roast away! I add a pan of new potatoes, peppers, and onions, oiled and salted, and roast them right along with the lamb. So yummy!

Tacos are pretty simple, too.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 16 2007 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

throw boneless skinless chicken breasts in crockpot and cover with bbq sauce. put on low for a few hours. then shred and serve on buns.

ds '08
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 17 2007 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

One we just tried:

Chicken or turkey cutlets (.8 lb fed two hungry adults and we could have done with half the meat), pounded to about 1/4 inch thick

2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly

1 onion, same

2 cans diced tomatoes (or crushed if you prefer)

about 1/2 cup chicken broth or white wine

a little garlic if you like, and some basil

balsamic vinegar

Rub a little balsamic vinegar onto the chicken breasts, then sauté about 2 min. on each side in some olive oil. Remove from pan. Add a little more olive oil and the potatoes and onions. Cook about 15 min., turning occasionally, until they are browning and crisping. Add the wine or broth and cook for a moment. Then add the tomatoes, herbs and chicken breasts. Cover and simmer about 15 more minutes. Enjoy!

(And laugh...only one pan to wash!)

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2007 at 7:01am | IP Logged Quote mary

all of my kids love cabbage and chicken/apple sausage. melt some butter, add sliced sausage to a large wok type pan. top with shredded cabbage (we use one head red and one green.) cover with al foil and cook on stove (med/low.) turn occasionally. we serve this with whatever bread i can find - usually some alexia garlic rolls from the freezer.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 17 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

This is what we had last night after a long day:

In the morning I put some chicken breasts in the crockpot with 3 T lemon juice, 2 T white vinegar, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tsp tarragon, 1 tsp thyme and 1 T rosemary. I cooked this on high until dinner (mostly because I use the term "morning" loosely, it was more like noon by the time I got this started).

When we got home the house smelled great! I opened and drained two cans of green beans, one can of black olives and dumped into a large bowl. I chopped and added two celery stalks and then poured a little lemon juice over all. Serve at room temperature.

In another bowl I made a salad. Greens were from a bag and the chopped veggies were leftover from lunch (carrots and bell peppers this time).

That's it. Seriously, it took me less than 10 minutes to put this on the table after we got home (and that includes telling everyone to wash up and set the table). Dh said, "Wow! What a great dinner!" and I just grinned...

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 17 2007 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

We eat lots of meatless meals. The quick fix around here is this:

brown (already chopped, from a jar) garlic in olive oil (not giving exact amounts because how much garlic anyone uses is strictly to personal taste )

add 2 16-oz cans of diced tomatoes

add 2 16-oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed

add one 16-oz can of corn, drained.

Cook until it is heated through and serve over rice (we use brown rice, but you can use white if that's what your family prefers).

Serve with a salad.

Good thinking to look for simple recipes to see you through the yuckies!

Peace,
Nancy

Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2007 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I invented an easy meal last night though I don't know if it'd work for you, you mentioned avoiding wheat?

Top a precooked pizza crust (Boboli style) with
fresh salsa
shrimp scampi
red bell peppers
black olives
shredded cheese

Warm on grill or in oven till melty.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2007 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

marihalojen wrote:
I invented an easy meal last night though I don't know if it'd work for you, you mentioned avoiding wheat?

Top a precooked pizza crust (Boboli style) with
fresh salsa
shrimp scampi
red bell peppers
black olives
shredded cheese

Warm on grill or in oven till melty.

Mmmm. That sounds so yummy! Jennifer, I just love all your recipes! They are always so creative! I guess necessity really IS the mother of invention!LOL!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Lorri

I've got this one going today:

Italian Roast Sandwiches

Put a roast (size appropriate to your family) in the crockpot. Sprinkle a packet of Italian Dressing mix on top. Add several pepperoncinis (I add half the jar) on and around the roast. Pour some juice from the pepperoncinis on top. Cover and cook "all day." If I remember early enough, I cook on low until we're almost ready to eat. After lunch, I'd cook it on high. Remove the roast and the chilis. Add a packet of brown gravy to the juices in the pot. Shred the meat and return it to the pot, mix well. Serve on hoagie buns and sprinkle with cheese.

My dc love this, but if they don't eat it as a sandwich, it is too spicy for them. The bigger the roast you make, the more left-overs you get! You could even freeze half of it for another time.

Back to Top View Lorri's Profile Search for other posts by Lorri

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version