Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Winter and energy release Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Well, here starts our third winter in Ohio. Blech! We have had snow flurries twice already and I am dreading what comes in the next month or so.
Yes, we sled ride-if we can find a hill in this VERY flat state, build snow stuff(if it is packable) and try to get outside daily--even though it takes more time to get dressed than we might actually spend out there
I have 2 high energy kids(and a puppy) and need more suggestions for inside and outside energy release for these cold, wet and snowy months. Those in the wilds of Alaska perhaps might have ideas. Moving from VA has been soooo hard
Last year, we did join the Y that was 25 minutes away but I have a hard time driving that far and we didn't really connect with anyone so the kids got bored with no one to play with.
What do you do to get through winter and stay sane?
Anne
Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Does your Y have an indoor pool? An hour of hard swimming and water play would make the drive worthwhile! And think of the books on tape/CD you could listen to on the way!

How about one of those mini-trampolines? 15 minutes on that should burn lots of energy.

For the puppy-nothing to suggest there but LOTS of walks. 3-4 per day.

Where in Ohio are you? We lived near Dayton 2000-2004.
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh... it's hard.. but we buy kid sized snow shovels.. and yes, they're put to work doing just that.. even send 'em to neighbors to help out.

how about a hopscotch rug (or masking tape)

And games.. how about Twister? there's one out called hmmm... had to go look "Hullabaloo".. there's also dancing things out where you have spots on the floor you have to touch as you jump and hop and stuff.

And good old fashioned calisthenics.. jumping jacks, sit ups, push ups, running in place and the like.

And sometimes it's worth it to let 'em outside even in the worst weather (unless even a few minutes is actually dangerous) just to let them blow off the cabin fever.. here.. that can be as little as 10 min. when it's real cold (close to 0*F not including wind chill)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Anne I struggle with this SO much with four VERY active boys and bitter wind chills here.

Try to get them outdoors as much as possible. If you're kids are like mine, they lack the motivation sometimes to find their shoes, get their coats, etc.

I'm going to try to set up a little hook station by the front door that has their coats on it and under that I'm going to make them put their shoes there so no excuses!

I have also had them put their shoes on first thing in the morning so they can run out here and there throughout the day.

Dancing to music, an obstacle course with pillows & stuff, and running through the house are great at desperate times.

I also had the older boys in charge of firewood.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Hey! Where in OH are you? Seems there are lots of us from OH here!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

We have a video called Kick To Be Fit that the kids like.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I grew up in Ohio but now I'm in Michigan. I think it's funny how things are different. When I was a teacher in Ohio, I remember many indoor recess days because it was too cold to go out. (I also remember more snow days because the roads weren't cleared!) I taught here in Michigan before we started homeschooling and the rules were a little different. If the temperature was 0 or below, we stayed in, otherwise everyone went out for recess. I follow that rule with my kids. FIRST, I make sure they have really good winter clothes, boots, snowpants,gloves,,,the works. Then I tell them they have to go outside for 15 minutes. If they want to stay longer they can. Usually, even if they wanted to stay inside and watch TV, once they are out there they find something to do and don't want to come in after the timer dings. I hope I don't sound harsh by making my kids go out. I just know the fresh air is good for them, they get along better, and life is more peaceful when they've had some good exercise. I came up with the 15 minute rule to avoid all the complaining that happened when I wanted them to go out. Now there are no complaints or excuses because "it's only 15 minutes".
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Anne,

Great thread! I am ready to move to Arizona, and it is only October in Chicago.

Our Y offers a homeschool gym class..does yours? Are there any park district open gym or roller skating rink homeschool days by you? Are you in a homeschooling group which could organize something like this? Is there a hotel near you were you could get a pass and let the boys swim there during the week?

My Mom had the 15 minute rule like Becky suggested..worked everytime...we always stayed out later.

Can you pull your car out and open your garage door? We do this on windy days and ds will play in the garage with cars, trucks, big wheel, etc. for quite a long time.

Ds also likes to take a long afternoon bath every couple of days..gets him clean and very tired!!

What about a mall play place or a fast food play place..you don't have to get food maybe just drinks and let them climb and such for a bit. We do this (with food) probably too much in the winter....it is were most Moms want to meet.

Hope you get some more suggestions!

God bless,

Mb

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Boy, for some reason I missed a lot here. Thanks for the suggestions and sorry I have been MIA.
First, I am glad to know I am not the only one who has to be "creative" to get through 5-6 months of the year. We are in the Northeast area, between Cleveland and Warren. Pretty much 20 minutes in the car to "anything." Right ON the snowbelt-sometimes we get a lot of snow-depends how the wind blows(I think that is how it works)..and it seems to blow all winter..I really don't like the wind much...maybe we'll try flying kites this year, in January!
I like the 15 minute rule and while my kids are usually more inclined to get out than I am--all those hats, gloves, snowpants,coats and arghhh, BOOTS!!--I may need to use it this year since ds seems to be a little cranky about going out in even the warmer weather   
I LOVED Homeschool Gym and Swim for ds but it really doesn't fit our schedule this year.
Hoping and praying for a mild winter doesn't hurt, right?

Anne

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

It snowed today and is bitterly cold. Isn't it a little early???? At least it didn't stick. I'm in a bitterly cold part of Nebraska where the wind never stops blowing.

My kids are playing what they call "base in the base" which is like kick soccer/baseball in the basement. The ball is one of those soft big balls you get a the grocery store for a dollar and the bases are pillows.

The only drawback is that its hard on the cheap drop ceiling tiles.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Sarah wrote:

The only drawback is that its hard on the cheap drop ceiling tiles.

I am SO sorry about the snow Sarah! We had a few decent flurries last week-nothing stuck here either, but it was cold and I was so depressed. I know what is coming!
I would(and will) gladly pay for more ceiling tiles in my basement. Lately, my dc aren't getting along all that well ....they are 5 years apart and so different...and ds is a very low patience person. Sigh. I am hoping this phase passes before we get stuck inside.

Anne

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

One all-time favorite tip for beating the cold...have the kiddos wear plastic grocery sacks underneath their boots (over thick, warm socks). Their feet will stay much warmer and drier. Ski masks are great for keeping little faces warm and protected from the wind. We pick up extra hats, gloves, scarves, ski masks, snowpants, boots 'n such at end-of-season clearance sales, garage sales, and Goodwill. We keep a huge laundry basket full of winter gear, so there are extras when the first round haven't quite dried out (on clothesline strung around the basement), or if friends come un-prepared. Our driveway actually makes a great sledding hill which runs right outside our side door...we have to park at the top of the hill and hike down most of the winter, which is wonderful exercise for everyone, and makes for GREAT wintertime fun for the kids! They're already making plans for their first sledding adventure (checking how many sleds we have and making sure we're stocked up on hot chocolate)! Another fun outdoor winter activity...making snowmen and snow angels. The adults in this household have even been known to make snow angels on the back deck, in PJs and bathrobes (although that's not likely to be repeated...once was enough for each of us)! Have a blessed and joyous winter everyone!

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I second the plastic bag trick Servant! It also helps boots slip on easy. I can't say enough for good outdoor gear! I know it can get expensive, but for us, it's cheaper than paying for all kinds of indoor activities the kids could do.
Our kids get sleds and the like for Christmas but we learned the more expensive ones are not necessarily any faster than the cheapies!
Taking nature hikes in the winter is great!!! Everything is so quiet (except for the crunch crunch of hiking boots).
Another thing we did that was a huge success was to flood the lower part of our yard so it made an iceskating rink. It was a little bumpy but the kids loved it. My dh actually ran a hose from the inside sink to the outside and pumped water at night when it was in the single digits! Next morning it was frozen solid. The thrill lasted at least a week before it got too messed up to skate on.
My husband and I decided a few years ago that since we were here in Michigan we might as well "embrace winter". Changing our attitudes about it has helped but I have to admit, when the snow is still falling in March I'm a little grumpy!
Blessings!
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2006 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Oh Becky, This is too funny "My husband and I decided a few years ago that since we were here in Michigan we might as well "embrace winter" "...my husband and I are both lifelong Michiganders, which has truly formed our outlook on Michigan winters! I love the idea of a skating rink! If you can't beat the snow, why NOT enjoy it and embrace it! Although, I may not be quite so optimistic when we're trekking up the drive on a blustery, sub-zero day, just to make it to Mass or transport a month's worth of groceries home!!! Ah well, the pioneers had it much worse.
I'll say a prayer for you come March, as the snow is STILL flying outside! Perfect time to pour over gardening books & catalogues, as we yearn for an early Spring!

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2006 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Just lost my post! Will give it another go!

Having lived in MI forever, as Servant has, we just don't know anything different. The boys are outside everyday, unless there are dangerous wind chills.

They pray for snow! Last year, in our little area of MI b/t Detroit and Ann Arbor, we had the best sledding snow before Christmas. I was so glad I set all aside to take advantage of the sledding! We went a number of times, just around noon, so it is warmer, and before the schools let out (so we have the hills to ourselves.)

When I was younger, I skied all the time, but it is a $$ sport. The skating idea is great. We have enjoyed many days skating at our local rinks, or more fun, at the Michigan ice rink, Yost Arena.

We always get the boys into basketball for winter. My younger who plays (8) does so at the Y. That is two days he is out and running, albeit, only for 1/2 an hour or so. My 11 does CYO. Boys really need to run!

Do you have a basement, and is it large enough to accomodate some physical activity? Scooters, trikes, skates?

We always try to have a beach night! Shorts, small sand box on large plastic sheet, picnic in front of the fireplace, and a fun movie.

We have a rec center that has a nice *indoor* pool and slide and lazy river. We try to go once a month in winter. Some in my hs group have organized long weekends to indoor water parks (last one was in OH, I think.) They can be $$, though.

We also try to do the zoo a couple of times. When it isn't too cold, it is great, because there is no one there, and the animals are soo much more active than in the heat of summer.

If you can get away, FL is great in Feb.! My dh is a CPA and can't travel then, but I have made the drive to FL a few times now, solo. September seems the best month to go, but FL is soooo nice in Feb., when you really are craving some warm weather. Early in Feb. is better to avoid "spring/winter break" crowds.

I am looking forward to reading "The Long Winter" to the boys, this year. We have read "Little House in the Big Woods," "Little House on the Prairie," and are halfway through "Farmer Boy." We should get through "On the Banks of Plum Creek," and "By the Shores of Silver Lake," by Christmas, so it will be great in Jan. to read.

Everyone has made great suggestions! I am looking forward to the white stuff!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI

Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2006 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

stacykay wrote:

If you can get away, FL is great in Feb.! My dh is a CPA and can't travel then, but I have made the drive to FL a few times now, solo. September seems the best month to go, but FL is soooo nice in Feb., when you really are craving some warm weather. Early in Feb. is better to avoid "spring/winter break" crowds.

I need to rub elbows with some of you--what great attitudes about the cold weather that is coming. I am not used to it, just moved here and not aware of many options(like where to sled and ice skate), etc. We went to FL last January(to stay off season and save a few $$) with a family from Erie, PA. My best friend and her family have been going for years and it helps them get through the winter. Even if it is only 60 or 70 there it is so nice to get rid of winter coats for a whole week!! My kids are already looking forward to it.
I may "flood" my yard this year, sounds like fun!! I wish for a few dump trucks of dirt to make a sled riding hill on our 6 acre field, but dh won't approve it :(
Anne

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2006 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

you can get snowshoes fairly inexensive (Little Bear brand, check Sierra Trading Post) and nordic (cross country) skiing can be done without a lot of the expense of alpine/downhill and right now we're eyeing a "kick sled" you push it rather like a scooter.. but you can also hook up 1 or 2 dogs to it for a small dog sled. It's a bit pricey but we're thinking one for the whole family.

with 6 acres you could use lots of this without needing any hills.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MamaJen
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Oct 23 2006 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote MamaJen

I grew up in Michigan, and lived in Minnesota for 8 years before moving here to Georgia. I have to admit, I just don't miss the winters! That said, 8 years in Minnesota with very little boys did teach me some mom winter survival skills!

I agree with what others say - make a committment to go outside for 15 minutes every day that the temps are above 0. Of course, if your kids are really young the way mine were, getting ready for those 15 minutes will take 30 minutes, lol! Still, it really is worth the effort, and will make everyone feel better. In particular, definitely make the effort on sunny days, and try to leave a little bit of skin exposed - I really found I needed the sun/Vitamin D in those long winters, and felt infinitely better when I got as much sunshine as I could.

The other thing that was simply a must when I had little ones, was bringing the outdoors in sometimes. I'm not sure the ages of your children, but when I had toddlers/preschoolers, I created a "sandbox" inside (use a large, shallow, rubbermaid container that can be sealed back up when not in use) - this does bring sand onto your floor, so try to use it on a hard floor of sorts (we used the kitchen with its vinyl floor), but truly, it was worth the trouble. Also, on really cold days when going outside was just not safe, I would bring some snow indoors. I pulled out some pots and pans and loaded a few up with snow, put everything on a bunch of towels, gave the kids some utensils, and they were occupied until it all melted. Yes, again, it's a fair bit of mess - but definitely a sanity-saver when you're on your second week of sub-zero temps (happened more than a couple times during our "Minnesota years").

Another sanity-saver - set aside a certain time, or a certain spot in your daily routine, where you relax your indoor/outdoor rules. If the kids know you have a time set aside where they can run and yell inside the house, they will be less likely to go crazy all the time, so you will mostly retain your indoor peace while your kids still have a chance to get their energy out.

And when all else fails, my former-Army dh would come home and play drill sargent! Forcing the kids to get their excess energy out was sometimes the only thing that worked! If you're not comfortable with the "drill sargent" concept, try a game of Simon Says where you do jumping jacks, touching toes, marching in place, etc. Good for mom, too! :-)

Best of luck to you - and remember, winter doesn't last forever, how ever much it might seem to! :-)

-MamaJen
mommy to 4 boys (9.5, 7, almost 6, and 4)
Aquinas Academy Adventures
Back to Top View MamaJen's Profile Search for other posts by MamaJen

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2006 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

You can also create a winter bird-feeding statiom. If you place it further away from the house your children will have to trek to it for taking care of things. A fun thing to do is decorate a tree, your used Christmas tree or a large branch will work. Coat pinecones with peanut butter and birdseed. There are lots of books or websites with such information. If your children make a winter project of tracking the birds they see, it could be both fun and educational!

During the winter we love to read "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening", by Robert Frost, illustrated by Susan Jeffers...It's a simple picture book, with delightful, fun illustrations, including images of a dear old man who feeds the wildlife on a snowy winter day! We have a bookstore copy with a wonderful vellum dustcover, which is my favorite, and a used library edition...both are very well-used around here! Susan Jeffers shares a personal insight into her experiences with winter, which may help alleviate some dread of the season!

Our boys have thought of making their own snowshoes, using ideas from "Camping and Wilderness Survival, The Ultimate Outdoors Book", by Paul Tawrell, and "The Field and Forest Handy Book", by D. C. Beard. Both books contain some great ideas for outdoor winter activities. This thread has gotten us more excited about the approach of winter! Thank you ladies for all the inspiration! Even though I suffer terribly in the cold, I am now looking forward to delicate snowflakes and blustery days!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version