Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: card games,board games, games games games Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 24 2008 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

i am trying to get some early christmas shopping done.

we love games.   we have lots of games, and I am looking for some ideas to add to our game collection.

good for multiple ages/family games? (especially ones that the 6 year old can play and the adults can enjoy too?)
good for just 2 players (either parent/child or 2 adults)?

please share your favorites!

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 24 2008 at 11:45pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Do you play dice games?

I grew up playing a dice game called 5000. I think it's called a variety of names.. but my mom swears I learned to count from that game. I'd be in my footed jammies being slid up and down the table so I could help whoever had the dice

here's some of the rules.. I'd have to think through which varients we used.
5000/10000 or Farkle

But since it's all on the table you can provide as much help as anyone needs so if you can shake a cup and roll the dice out (preferably keeping them on the table) you can play.

there's also yatzee for dice games

Do you have Uno yet? I would think that would be one the younger kids could manage but it still fun for older ones. There's a lovely older man at our church that will play Uno with the kids during coffee hour after mass.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2008 at 11:58pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

My boys love card games and also playing with chips, so they like Kazink! It's good because you can play with 2 or more players.

I like Stratego. I picked it up at Big Lots a couple months ago for $10 and my boys play it (ages 6 & 7). I loved it as a kid. It's a 2 player game. (Also love Risk. Can't wait until they're old enough for that one. Used to play for hours and hours in college)

I also like backgammon. I was a bit older than Colin when I learned to play - but he's learning.

I'm ridiculously competitive when it comes to games, but at least DH lets them win sometimes. I always make them earn their win.   

Pictures of our Life
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

JodieLyn wrote:
Do you play dice games?
<snip>
Farkle

Love dice games!
Yep - we got Farkle last year from my Uncle. My poor Sarah, she has the absolute WORST luck I have ever seen anyone have at dice games.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

mellyrose wrote:

I'm ridiculously competitive when it comes to games, but at least DH lets them win sometimes. I always make them earn their win.   

Oh, I haven't heard of Kazink!

I am so competitive too. My Dad was the same way (my Mom totally isn't!) Anyway - my Dad also did really hard crossword puzzles all the time - and he was my main Boggle opponent - he used to crush me but I kept playing. Now, NOBODY wants to play Boggle with me, because I get all these obscure words.
They will play Boggle with me on my birthday, and that is like the only time.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 1:56am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

My 7yo dd loves her new game "Feed the Kitty", which is a dice game, very cute. She also likes "Perfection".

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We just ordered some games from FAmily Pastimes through a co-op. I haven't played them yet, but they are really popular with the families in the co-op. They are in Canada, but I think you can find retailers here.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Phase 10 is a nice dice game which is fairly easy for younger children to play.

We recently ordered some golden dice with silver dots, from www.unclesgames.com to make dice games like Yahtzee extra special. BTW, you can find free online score charts for Yahtzee and other games. I just googled free Yahtzee score charts.
http://www.centralconnector.com/GAMES/scorshet.html (scroll down to bottom of page)

We're really into cribbage in our family. Younger children pick up on it fairly well if you pair them up with another family member. www.unclesgames had a nice large cribbage board with spaces to keep track of ongoing games. The same website had some nice silver Bicyle brand playing cards and they sell extra cribbage pegs quite inexpensively (we're always losing ours).

Family games are our favorite gifts for Christmas and birthdays, and one of our favorite family pastimes.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

There's a game that is called Can't Stop. It has a board but is essentially a dice game. My dh and ds 8yold are so addicted...it's not even funny. They play that game an average of at least (NO exaggeration) 10 times or more PER day!!!. I tried to play with them, and they are so practiced now, I had no chance! Ds nows his addition facts like that!

The funniest thing about this game is that when I was about 10, my mom collected enough UPCs code from our cereal boxes to send away for a free game, and this is what we got. I think when I hit high school we got rid of the game. But then I found it again last year when I went looking for board games for my dh for Christmas. Anyways...this is way fun!

Also, a great card game is Queen's Necklace. It is harder and longer, so I wouldn't say a 6yold could do it. But I'm betting your 18yold would like it...my dh likes it a lot even though it is all about buying and selling jewels

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

We recently picked up Sequence and Last Word, both are lots of fun and good for some of the younger ones.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

KackyK wrote:
There's a game that is called Can't Stop. It has a board but is essentially a dice game. My dh and ds 8yold are so addicted...it's not even funny. They play that game an average of at least (NO exaggeration) 10 times or more PER day!!!. I tried to play with them, and they are so practiced now, I had no chance! Ds nows his addition facts like that!

The funniest thing about this game is that when I was about 10, my mom collected enough UPCs code from our cereal boxes to send away for a free game, and this is what we got. I think when I hit high school we got rid of the game. But then I found it again last year when I went looking for board games for my dh for Christmas. Anyways...this is way fun!

Also, a great card game is Queen's Necklace. It is harder and longer, so I wouldn't say a 6yold could do it. But I'm betting your 18yold would like it...my dh likes it a lot even though it is all about buying and selling jewels

I have seen Queen's necklace before and wondered about it. And I hadn't heard of Can't Stop! - which looks great!

I guess I can share a suggestion too - a really fun card game is called The Great Dalmuti - it is best played with at least 5 people, and so we don't get to play it often enough anymore. But it is a blast...

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Oh - and if you have suggestions for harder two player games - for like just the adults - that would be good too!

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

We really enjoy Blink

We've also enjoyed Monopoly - The Card Game

and Rack-O

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Also

Pass the Pigs makes me laugh everytime. (It was called Pigmania when I was a kid)

Apples to Apples Jr. (My kids don't know any of the pop culture references lol, but there are many other cards besides those)

Milles Bornes - A classic!

We've just started playing Settlers of Catan and we really like it. It has rave reviews from people on this board - MacBeth I think is one of them :-)

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Okay I have a few more (can you tell we love games too?)

SET card game is good for all ages or adults alone

Ticket to Ride is on my wishlist

Blokus is on my wishlist too

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

We are huge Ticket to Ride fans! I would start with just Ticket to Ride and then move on to Ticket to Ride Europe. We also like TransEuropa and TransAmerica. We like Settlers of Catan, but maybe we should go visit JenL and get some pointers.

My kids love Apples to Apples.

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

This is too funny. I just picked up a game last night to begin our new tradition of "Family Game Night" and I was going to come over here and tell you all about it!

It is for little ones primarily, but my big kids were cracking up too! It is called I Can Do That and it was so much fun. My 4 year old loved it and the older kids had fun coming up with creative ways to do the activity they had chosen. It might get old after a while so I think we will save this one for special occasions and minimal use but it was definitely worth it!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

The Professor Noggin games are great - there are all kinds of topics, everything from ancient history to Canada to marine life - and there are easy and hard questions, so multi-age groups can play and not get bored. Rainbow Resource has a good selection right now.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jen L. wrote:
Also

Pass the Pigs makes me laugh everytime. (It was called Pigmania when I was a kid)
Wow, you must be old ... it was called "pigmania" when I was old enough to be married!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2008 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

lol, Mary - well I was in high school at least :-)

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version