Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Something new to drink Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 29 2007 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I am feeling so dehydrated with this pregnancy already. Water makes me nauseous and I am searching for something new and refreshing to drink throughout the day. Iced Tea is a staple around here, just plain, Lipton. But even that has lost it's ability to refresh.

So, let me hear it: what do you drink? what makes you say "Ahhh!"?

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2007 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

For my last pregnacy I drank Vitamin waters, they are really good, and they did'nt make my blood sugar crazy.
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Alot of the ladies on my twins board drink Propel or something like it. Not too meny calories, but vitamins, and some have some flavors.

Also, some ladies find adding a squeeze of some citrus juice (most notably lemon) and find that to make that alot more palatable, and easier to get down (plus, the lemon flavor helps some ladies across the board with nausea--lemon drops, etc.).

HTH

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 29 2007 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

I do a 50/50 water/gatorade. Dilutes the sugar, flavors the water, and helps keep things - ahem - moving.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 29 2007 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

what about changing the flavor of your iced tea? for one thing caffiene in regular tea won't help with hydration.. but what about a lemon peppermint herb tea?

and if you want to go to helpful herbal teas.. red raspberry leaf (leaf not flavor) with some nettle and spearamint or peppermint for flavor is good.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryatHome
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 29 2007 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote MaryatHome

Here's something that worked for me--homemade gingerale.

Make a simple syrup (equal parts water and sugar) made with slices of peeled gingerroot as it boils. Strain, and keep in the refrigerator. Mix with plain seltzer to taste, and add ice.

Mary
Back to Top View MaryatHome's Profile Search for other posts by MaryatHome

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote mathmama

There was a point in my pregnancy that I just couldn't stand water. I would put a little squeeze of lime juice in and that helped for a while.

Beth
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Nettle tea is my staple. I added RRL at the start of the second trimester. Sometimes I throw in a bit of red clover or alfalfa or peppermint. The first trimester was super rough on me this time, and Bolthouse Farms Chai protien drink sustained me during the rough days. I still drink it once in awhile, that and their veggie juice.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Essy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 30 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Essy

I used to not be able to stand water at all. I now add some lemon to it and it is great...very refreshing. I also add a little bit of cranberry juice to it once in a while if I want something different.

Back to Top View Essy's Profile Search for other posts by Essy Visit Essy's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 30 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Great minds think alike, Molly! (I just posted at Loving the Little Ones that we needed to start a mommy hydration topic )

Here are a few tips from the desert...

Purchase an iced tea maker (under $20), buy bulk tea herbs (chamomille is yummy, peppermint, other mints, even herb blends), and train your 8yo to make lots of tea. Stevia is a natural sweetener.

Use straws. I have purchased acrylic straws for water based drinks (not smoothies.)

Keep a water chart. Know how much each person in the family should drink during the day and keep track of it with a simple grid. (Once again, 8yos are the perfect people to keep track.)

Freeze it! Make popsicles out of different beverages.

Check out www.allrecipes.com for new beverage ideas.

Welcome, Mary! I love gingerale and can't believe that I hadn't thought to make my own syrup. Thanks for the suggestion .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Oh that gingerale sounds good!

Wow, Angie! I need to print your suggestions. I have an iced tea maker, but my dd dropped the pitcher the other day, so I am waiting for a replacement from amazon.

I can't do anything real sweet , which is unusual for me. The thought of any mints makes me nauseous at this stage. And with our new budget, I am trying to avoid buying bottled drinks. Although, I really like Snapples' Red Tea with Mandarin and I will pick it up for baseball games sometimes.

I will try adding a little lemon or lime to some water. The gatorade idea sounds good too. I actually hate Gatorade, but I was drinking my kids' this weekend at baseball and it was helping. I am sure diluting it would make it a little better.

Is RRL good for you the whole pregnancy? I have some pregnancy tea that I could put over ice as well.

Angie, why straws?

Popsicles sound good, too. One thing that I have been wanting is a Slurpee, believe it or not, even though the thought of a soda is not appealing.

Off to make a chart!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

When I was dehydrated in my third trimester I filled up a pitcher every morning with eight 8 oz. glasses of water (64 0z.) (the rec. amount of water to drink a day) added a squeezed lime to it (which, apparently helps your PH balance) and told myself I had to drink the whole thing before I went to bed. If I spaced it out into small cupfuls it was more bearable and then I wasn't in the bathroom 50 times a day (just 30 ).

I know that isn't any help with the hating water thing (I totally had that problem! ) but it helped me to make sure that i got enough liquid in the course of the day.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I normally dislike gatorade too.. but it sure helps me in first trimester.. and then in summer.. my dh as a firefighter has learned you want about 2 water to 1 gatorade.. and that really works well.. the gatorade lets you drink more so you can stay hydrated. I followed that for a swim meet in my midwife's town.. so I was there from early in the morning until 3:30pm in July.. outside the whole time.. and then went to my midwife's for an appt. And amazingly enough I was hydrated sufficiently.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I'll second the lemon water. Lots of ice, very cold. I actually enjoy a cold, watered-down glass of orange juice first thing in the morning as well.

Ugh! This is such a difficult time for me, although I've been feeling a bit better than usual. I'll be thinking of and praying for all you gals who may be feeling yucky this next month or so!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh and pinch of salt (not enough to make it taste salty) can make water easier on the tummy too.

-Sir Walter Scott

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

MaryatHome wrote:
Here's something that worked for me--homemade gingerale.

Mary

ooh, that sounds good!!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 30 2007 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote helene

I remember at night in those first trimesters I would dream about polar bears swimming in the bluest coldest water on earth and I just could not get enough of that water! I would wake up totally dehydrated with dry eyes and a parched tongue. My husband bought me several flats of Poland Spring and I drank every last bottle! They were the small bottles which somehow appealed to me more. Pregnancy can be so weird!

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

I like to drink sparkling water with a little fruit juice mixed in for color and flavor. Right now I'm having cranberry and sparkling water.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

I also find sparkling water more palatable in the beginning and in the end (sipping some right now)...and I can not drink water without lemon or lime...in the hot Lousiana weather, I often freeze the slices in a ziploc bag and then just pop them in...ice and citrus all at once! Iced tea is another favorite here...my iced tea pot has been broken so many time I refuse to buy another. I brew it hot in my coffee pot then pour it over a pitcher full of ice which immediately melts and dilutes it properly, then I add ice again! If I could walk across the kitchen without being exhausted, I'd brew a pot right now!
Colleen
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote amyable

One pregnancy Gatorade was my staple, I could drink almost nothing else without . This time nutrition drinks like Boost and Ensure are it... but we did find that Gatorade now makes many different kinds of drinks - my favorite is "Gatorade Rain" which is not as strong tasting as the others, and comes in several flavors.

Hope with all these ideas from these great ladies you can find something you like!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version