Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: 3rd Trimester - Barely functioning Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 12 2008 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

From previous pregnancies, I know the 3rd trimester to be a time of slowing down, sleepiness, discomfort, swelling, etc.

Maybe it's been a bit too long since my last pregnancy, but I am feeling so awful these days, and I'd appreciate your insights on how to manage these typical symptoms.

These are symptoms that I have nearly 24/7:
- headache
- nausea
- light-headedness
- overall/general weakness
- nearly no appetite
- heartburn

I have tried side-lying, sitting, standing, moving, not moving. I feel so terrible that I have to really, really push myself to do the littlest things and then physically feel like I overdid it just accomplishing such a little task.

I am trying to stay hydrated, but drinking water makes the symptoms worse (flavored water makes it even worse than worse). My iron was a *little* low when tested several weeks ago, and I am taking an iron supplement. When I eat, I sometimes feel a little better while I eat, and the relief, at times, lasts up to a half hour afterwards.

I'll see my doctor next week and plan to ask him about how I can manage these symptoms better so I can function. Knowing how typical the symptoms can be, I wouldn't bother planning to talk to him about it or asking about it here if the symptoms weren't getting worse and my ability to function wasn't continuing to decrease.

FWIW, I'm 33.5 weeks according to the doctor's wheel, and 34 weeks according to my own calculations.

Thank you for sharing what's worked for you and for any prayers you might offer for me.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2008 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I'm 34 weeks today actually. All of my last trimester issues are a bit different than yours (having some yucky hemorrhoid issues, I know tmi )

But several weeks ago when they did my blood I was told I was anemic too. I started to take their iron supplement and it made me feel worse! I had all of those symptoms you listed, whereas before I was just extra tired. I thought the no appetite one was weird too.

So I have cut down on the supplement and I only take it (it is that Slow FE) once day. Now, I still get a bit of heartburn several hours after taking it, but I take two Tums and that seems to manage it. And that extra sleepiness seems to have gone away too. It is at least accomplishing that.

My dr had wanted me to take it 2X a day...that would kill me. So I hope I'm okay in doing this. But I figured anything that was making me feel all those things you listed (plus I would get diarrhea too, again tmi, sorry!) that that couldn't be good either.

And hey, it can be good to know we are both in this uncomfortable time...but we are rounding the bend too!!!!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2008 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I can only commiserate. I am in my first trimester, and I have all of the above except the heartburn - to add to that I have sick children and the AC is down. I wish there were some magical cure!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 12 2008 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I dealt with anemia in some form or degree in all of my pregnancies. Here's what I found helpful. First, those iron pills would rarely stay down and when they did, they didn't work very well. So, I found getting iron through food sources worked best. Cereal is a great way to get extra iron. They're all fortified. I started eating 1-2 bowls in the evening. Follow it with a chaser of orange juice because eating citrus with iron helps the body absorb iron. You know the obvious stuff like eating red meat and green leafy's so...just try to follow with citrus as it helps with absorption.

The headaches could be stemming from your anemia or from the increasing estrogen in the last trimester of pregnancy. I deal with them frequently whether pregnant or not. Hydration is key, but it doesn't help that you can't deal with extra water right now. I took Tylenol - mine were migraines - and the ability to function for the other children outweighed my dislike of medicating while pregnant.

I dealt with terrible, awful, extreme acid reflux this past pregnancy. I was used to heartburn, but not acid reflux. It caused a great deal of pain and angst, and like you I tried every imaginable position to relieve the pain and discomfort. I'm sure there might be some herbal suggestions that are safe, and hopefully JodieLyn will jump in here with some of her knowledge. I just avoided foods that were known triggers and offered a lot up for the health of the baby.

Your nausea is likely returning because of the increase of estrogen in the last trimester. I suffer from extreme hyperemesis in the first tri, and then nausea starts rearing its ugly head again in the last tri with the return of higher estrogen. Red raspberry tea maybe? I'm sorry to say nothing helped me - I just offered up again and started counting down to the end of the pregnancy. Sorry. Lots of empathy prayers, though.

Hopefully, if you can manage the low iron you will feel at least capable of handling the day. Prayers for you on the last stretch!    

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2008 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Dear Kelly,
No words of wisdom but plenty of prayers for you. Like Lisa, I am in my first trimester and have many of your symptoms. At least your end is in sight, though I know 6 weeks seems like an eternity in your last trimester! Offering my day for you!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 12 2008 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

And here I am Jennifer

iron supplements can be part of the problem. I would use alfalfa.. I know people who could not get their iron raised with regular supplements but the alfafa does the trick. It's also good for milk production for when the baby is born. And it's just generally good for you.. very mineral rich, plus all the known vitamins, the minerals are balanced so you get better absorbtion. And can help in healing all sorts of things like hemorrhoids, high blood pressure, anemia, constipation, bleeding gums.. and a whole list of other things.

For the heartburn, during pregnancy your digestion is slowing down which often seems to be the problem. So I have three alternatives.. increase the acid.. I've heard but haven't used, that a teaspoon of regular prepared mustard will do the trick for that.. or use something that promotes digestion like papaya.. or.. my extra calcium (plus other minerals) supplement is a liquid and it can settle it as well. Most OTC heartburn remedies are for extra acid in your stomach which is not generally the problem during pregnancy so you end up slowing digestion even more with them causing your body to attempt to produce more acid.. and the calcium isn't typically a form that is readily absorbed either.. Also try eating less more often.. that helps keep you from being overfull.

Adding a pinch of salt to the water can buffer it some and make it easier on your tummy (not enough to make it taste salty though). I've used a gatorade type sports drink with the electrolytes.. when I have really bad nausea I often will have to use it alone.. but it's so sweet (I understand the sweet helps the nausea too) that I wean off it as soon as I can, so when I can handle less I will dilute it with water to the point that my tummy doesn't object.

And yes, Red Raspberry Leaf, will not only help your body prepare for labor, it also will help with iron levels, and it helps normalize hormones so that can help if the nausea etc is caused by hormones (the headache too).

The headache, lightheadedness, etc may also be from dehydration since you're struggling with that. I know my blood pressure can get on the low side and if I'm not really pushing the fluids I will be light headed and such..

Oh and a great thing when you can stay hydrated enough.. you have very little "normal swelling".. my midwife says swelling isn't normal it means you need to drink more.. and I normally like drinking water so don't have much problem.. but she's right.. I push water more if I notice any swelling and it does go away.. I had "normal swelling" with my first 3 pregnancies.. and virtually none with the last 5 (the ones I've had her as a midwife). I'm 38.5 weeks or so pregnant right now.. not dealing with hot temps though.. but I'm wearing my wedding ring and can take it on and off without even getting it wet or something.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2008 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

This is the only thing I could tolerate the last trimester of my pregnancy. My midwife brought it over and it saved me. I drank it as a fruit smoothie. I was still 3rd trimester worn out, but I could think clearer and had some energy during the day.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version