Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Christian Heritage Art Program Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 26 2007 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Is anyone familiar with the Christian Heritage Art Program that CHC sells? It was made by the Dominican Nashville teaching sisters. It teaches art and art history from a Catholic perspective for grades 1 through 8.

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I want this program so BADLY! It looks fantastic and altho it is a bit steep, at $150 for the entire course, but it does cover all art (from a VERY Catholic perspective), has suggested project for each period (at the appropriate age level) and covers from K-8.

Seems the lovely Dominican of Nashville sisters rec'd a grant to update an old video series and this is the result ... The Christian Heritage Art Program by Sr. Marie Vianney

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Can anyone describe the art projects and how the lessons are arranged?

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 01 2007 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

I too have been looking at this, but I've never seen it and can't seem to find anyone who has used it. I'm hoping someone here will have more information.
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

sunnyviewmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 12 2007 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote sunnyviewmom

Now that more time has passed, I'm wondering if anyone is using this and can share her experiences with it. It looks quite interesting. Thanks.

Dana
Back to Top View sunnyviewmom's Profile Search for other posts by sunnyviewmom

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2008 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I am still interested in what others think of this program, but here goes my limited review:

I purchased this program at the end of January - the entire set.

I do like the ideas presented - very age appropriate for the levels I've opened and reviewed thus far (K, 3, 6) - and interesting as well. The teacher's manual is laid out quite well for me (it's on adobe acrobat on one of the discs and covers the entire set). The DVDs of course are individual for each grade level and are easy to use, watch, follow... but were disappointing in their presentation. The contents lists a certain number of images per section/lesson - there are no moving pictures in this set and the images do not jump quickly at all (which is excellent), so I anticipated many examples of the form of art being discussed. There are SOME - and it might be substantial enough for others, but again, I was disappointed. There are several images of school children (Catholic school children, in uniform) doing the art project associated with that lesson - the narrator has comments such as "see how she holds her brush (ie at a particular angle) to create this particular design." I don't mind that, but I feel there could have been a better narration to begin with, as well as more applicable images.

An example: the first lesson for Kindergarten is on cave paintings. They tell the story of a group of boys in France falling into a hole and finding these perfectly preserved cave paintings from early days of human history. They show some countryside, but there are black cutouts in the shape of children in several of the scenes. The narration itself is a bit on the boring side, so I would prepare for each lesson ahead of time by reading something else on the topic (which I think defeats the purpose of this "complete" curriculum). But perhaps tie-ins are not bad anyway, right?

I expected to see several different kinds of cave paintings - perhaps from other areas of the world, as well as a bit more on the style itself (I did learn some things, so it was useful). I also would have expected to see less of the schoolchildren (though it is good to see not just hear methods of doing artwork).

It was similar in the other ones I previewed.

I still plan to watch the entire set in sequence and see if my opinion improves.

I like it, yes, but I see a large leeway for improvement.

If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to post (I just now notice that I can click on the box to receive e-mail notifications of new posts, so I know when to log in!) - I'll go check it all out and come back with what information I have.

God Bless!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2008 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Martha: I'll check on your question and post again probably Monday or Tuesday with more specifics.
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Does anyone else own this program? I'm still interested in hearing other people's reviews!

As a sidenote, when I purchased it, I bought the whole thing... including the teacher manual on CD-rom... my son had apparently taken all the inserts out of the cases as I opened each one and I just found them tucked away inside of a game box today... EACH LEVEL has its own teacher manual for that level, already with it. HOWEVER, it is not as detailed as the one that they sell on the CD-rom....

If you just wanted to get started, you could probably figure out how to present the art lesson (it lists the needed materials), but the CD-rom includes discussion questions, as well as additional activities, etc (basically, it lays each lesson out into 3 sessions).

Regardless of all that, I like the computer version myself since I can just print out the sections I want - I have an Adobe that I paid for, so I can edit things, add my own notes, feedback for myself for doing that lesson again, add lists of books that we explored during the lesson, various children's responses, etc - then print it out for our portfolios.

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2010 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

UPDATED:

We are using additional levels now and my opinion has definitely improved. I DO supplement with books on the same topic, for a wider array. And the art experiences are improved by following the teacher's guide fairly closely (it includes discussion questions and follow-up ideas for further projects when desired).

The materials needed are inexpensive/readily-available enough. And with this being my 3rd school year of using it, not just viewing segments at various levels but actually USING them, I like it more and more.

But I don't think it will meet everyone's needs. Anyone who asks, I will provide more specific responses :)

Stacy Y
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 12 2010 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Stacy Y

This program is cheaper at Sacred Heart(127.50 for the whole set) and for those of us in CA, no sales tax at Sacred heart saves another $12... just to let you know! Blessings,Stacy

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2010 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

Ok - I was just coming to the forum to search on this program today! I am tempted, this type of art is one of those things that just does not get done around here. So, Catholic Mommy (or anyone else who has this), how many lessons are each level? How long does one lesson take if you follow the teacher guide closely? I was thinking of doing this this summer, we don't homeschool in the summer but this year I want to plan some of the things we just don't get to during our school year (art, music . . ). Would the kids get bored or tired of it (now 1st and 6th grader) if I did this say 3 times per week during the summer?

Just thinking aloud as I come up with questions!

barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2010 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

There are 6 lessons for each level.

Within each lesson there are 3 sessions.

If you did 3 sessions a week, you could finish it all in 6 weeks. If you add in more supplements, you could extend it out further or be doing something every day.

Some of the projects require that dry-time between steps; mostly I think the program was set up the way it is because it was designed for use in schools where they might only have half an hour of art every week.

My son likes to do the entire lesson in a day or two (if it needs the dry-time, he just has to wait). So we do other art in between (otherwise he'd do the whole thing in a few days!). As we go further with it, I like it more and more

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2010 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

So, I have a 1st and 6th grader. DH says to get the whole program (I just might since my younger can then go through it all over the years). I am thinking of starting my 6th grader at the 6th level and going back to earlier levels if she is interested in that time period or topic.

Thanks for the info!

Barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version