Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: School names Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mavmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote mavmama

I am wondering if you would share your school names and how you chose them. Here in NC, our home school must have a name, and I'm stumped on this. Need some food for thought!

Thanks in advance,
Liz

Back to Top View mavmama's Profile Search for other posts by mavmama

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Our "school" is named for Our Lady of Knock, an apparition of the Blessed Mother in County Mayo, Ireland. The short story (there are a few more details to it) of why we chose it is that I first felt called to home educate when praying at the shrine of Our Lady of Knock in East Durham, NY.

Our Lady of Knock is also called, "Golden Rose, Queen of Ireland," so I always stock up on beautiful gold foil rose stickers for use all over (envelopes, crafts, projects). The children view the golden rose as our family symbol!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

It is not required in MN, but I needed to have a name in order to fill out the tax-exempt form. Being the unoriginal, uncreative person that I am, I went with "The Listerud Homeschool".

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Ours is "Holy Family Homeschool". I reluctantly agreed to look into homeschooling when dh asked me while we were dating. I loved all I read on the subject. I am hoping we can grow in love and holiness during our homeschool journey/adventure using the Holy Family as our model.

I tell you I can never say never b/c then God always makes the never happen!!!

I am happy He does b/c otherwise I wouldn't be married to my dh or homeschooling!!!

Great thread!

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Great thread!

Last year I was given the most beautiful image of the Immaculate HEart of MAry, which I placed in our school room. Her eyes look directly at me with such love and compassion! It is the sweetest image of Mary that I own. One day last summer while I was in prayer for our new school year, I heard the name of our homeschool whispered in my heart.."Sweetest Heart of Mary Academy"

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I don't know if this counts, but...when I was at Barnes & Noble filling out the form for the educator's discount, it asked for the school name. I really didn't want them to hassle me (I didn't have my hs group membership card with me) so I put down "Holy Rosary Homeschool." We don't use the name much, except at B&N, but there it is.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I have always loved the idea of a name for our homeschool. Years ago when I was exploring Waldorf education, "Little Acorns Homeschool" seemed a good fit. This was when my youngest was 6-7 yo, though, and I figured it would no longer seem a good fit when he grew older. (Would he move onto Tall Oaks Academy? )

We don't have one now, but I would *love* to figure one out. Something more reflective of our Catholic faith.

Neat topic, Liz!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote amyable

We don't need an official one, so I keep changing my mind.

I think we started out as Good Shepherd Academy. I really love the image of Jesus as the Good Shepherd and I was trying to shepherd my own sheep.

I think there was another one after that (I know, I'm being SO helpful

Right now I like "Mater Amabilis," yes, stolen from the curriculum but I like how its for Mary under the title "Mother Most Amiable"    Alice had mentioned this recently in another thread, but I had actually been mulling it over for awhile.

My favorite "joking" name for our homeschool is the "(Lastname) Academy for Wayward Girls" This is actually quite a good description for any given moment in our school

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Marybeth wrote:
Ours is "Holy Family Homeschool".I am hoping we can grow in love and holiness during our homeschool journey/adventure using the Holy Family as our model.

Ours is "Holy Family Academy" for the same reasons Marybeth stated. I put this description on our blog as well and it's also the name of our blog.

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Adventure Academy

We have stationary and labels (made by me). I use the logo on the forms we send in for reporting grades and such.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote folklaur

Morning Star Academy
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Lorri
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote Lorri

We are The Eagle's Wing Academy, from the scripture:

"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40:30

Back to Top View Lorri's Profile Search for other posts by Lorri

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

When I first started to homeschool, there were several Catholic families that also began at the same time. One of the members of this group had been homeschooling for awhile, and she insisted that we all choose a name for our school. The other moms came up with names quite quickly, but it took me longer.
I finally decided to name our "school" Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Homeschool. We had prayed a novena (written by a priest for us) to help us discern if hs was the answer for our family. When we told our pastor, he was quite disappointed. I decided I needed all the help (and graces) that I could receive, and choose Our Lady to watch over our school.

I have never regretted the decision to hs. In fact, I have only become more convicted with each passing year. After we choose the name, we searched for a full length figure of Our Lady of Guadalupe. She hangs above our mantle in our living room. We have a 2-foot statue of Our Lady that another priest brought us from the shrine in Mexico. She resides in our "school room" for the most part although she travels to our prayer table at certain times of the year.
There are only a few Catholic hs families left here--none of the ladies I originally started to hs with are hsing anymore. One of the newer families calls their school Academy of the Blessed Kitchen Table. They do not take the name seriously.
But I have felt that the name gave us an identity. And even though we are small, we have great plans (thanks to you lovely ladies, even greater plans).
So now I have rambled long enough.

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Ours is Our 'Lady of Wisdom' which is the statue in my avatar. She is my favorite. (Actually, the Latin on the statue translates to 'Our Lady Seat of Wisdom'.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

"Our Lady of Guadalupe"

I have been blessed with 2 special gifts given to me a few years ago. One was given to me by a priest and the other by my Aunt. One is an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, which he bought in Mexico, and my aunt bought me a Statue of our Lady, also from Mexico. What amazing is, that they never even knew we had named our school after our Lady.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Now that I have been reading all of your wonderful names, I am just going to have to pray for some creativity and find a new name for us!

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Lorri, I love your school name and that Scripture!

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Ours is "The Academy of The Eternal Word"

My dh came up with the name. My dh says he chose it b/c he admires Mother Angelica's (of EWTN) stubborness and her willingness to stand up for what she sees as right regardless of liberal political pressure...he also says that 'academy' sounds better than 'school'.

I happen to really like the name and I think it fits our family well. We did an enthronement of the Sacred Heart a few years ago and I have a distinct sense of being 'watched over' by our Lord. He's probably crying over us a lot, but we keep trying.

Dawn

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

A few years ago I was up late one night with a babe in the rocker and just trying to rest when the title "Our Lady of Confidence" popped in my head. I sleepily thought, "What?" It came to me that was to be the name of our "school". As I sat there & pondered my name for a school we did not have, my children were 3 1/2, 18 mos and I was expecting, I wondered if more families quit homeschooling due to lack of confidence? So, I took Our Lady's Title for our homeschool. Sorry about the long post, but I do not know anything about the site I got this information from...

Our Lady of Confidence

On June 25, 1697, a Catholic home in the Eternal City celebrated the birth of a daughter! Little did the happy parents know that Divine Providence had destined this little girl to be a noble instrument in His hands to introduce into the Church one of the most beautiful invocations to the Holy Mother of God: “Madonna della Fiducia” -- Our Lady of Confidence.

While still a youth, Clare Isabella Forani became a religious and eventually became the venerable abbess of the convent of Poor Clares of Saint Francis in the city of Todi, Italy. She courageously adopted a severe life of penance from the outset and bore unspeakable trials for many years. Her sacrifices purified her soul and prepared her to receive the highest of mystical graces, and her visions and ecstasies were numerous. Such was the intensity of her participation in the suffering of Our Lord Jesus Christ that she received the Holy Stigmata of His Passion.

Sister Clare also nourished a very special devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary, a devotion represented in sacred pictures which the talented servant of God painted with her own hand.

Many of Sister Clare’s pictures of the Madonna, either copies or originals, circulated widely due especially to her confessors who gave them to friends and acquaintances. The recipients always found succor in their needs.

Until her death in the odor of sanctity in 1744, Sister Clare always kept with her an oval picture portraying the maternal figure of the Virgin Mary with the Infant Jesus in her arms. Most extraordinary graces are attributed to this picture, which remains in the city of Todi. Especially benefited were the sick who had recourse to the intercession of the Blessed Mother before it.

My Mother, My Confidence

A copy of the picture is venerated today in the Major Seminary next to the Basilica of Saint John Lateran. It gave rise to a devotion to Our Lady under the title of Mother of Confidence. This renowned reproduction of Our Lady of Confidence arrived at the capital of Christendom accompanied by a copy of a document written by the Servant of God with a promise to those who venerate the picture. The parchment is conserved today in the archives of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, which is examining the case for Venerable Sister Clare Isabella’s beatification.

The seminary has always held the picture in great esteem. The students, having recourse to the miraculous image in their most pressing needs, always had their prayers answered by Our Lady. Noteworthy was the complete protection granted by Our Lady of Confidence to the seminarians against the scourge of Asiatic Cholera that claimed thousands of lives throughout Italy in 1837. When a new outbreak devastated the south of the country thirty years later and reached the City of the Pope, the protective mantle of the Madonna was again felt, granting immunity to the students of the seminary. During the First World War, the Blessed Virgin watched over the more than 100 seminarians who had recourse to her with redoubled confidence. Many seminarians were sent to the war and there are numerous letters written from the battlefield recounting the marvels worked by the Madonna for those who had sought her intercession.

The Promise

The greatest graces reserved for all those who have this devotion are contained in the promise of the Blessed Virgin Mary to the venerable Sister Clare Isabella. Below is a translation of this marvelous promise taken from an old parchment containing the consoling words of the Blessed Mother to Sister Clare:

“The divine Lady deigned to reveal to me that every soul that confidently presents herself before this picture will obtain from her Divine Son the general pardon for all her sins. Moreover, my divine Lady assured me with the love of a true mother that she would grant a special tenderness and devotion toward her to everyone who contemplated this picture.”

With the ejaculatory prayer, “My Mother my Confidence,” explains a pamphlet published by the Roman seminary, Mary offers everything but asks for nothing. It is a most ardent and efficacious expression of complete abandonment and confidence in the hands of the Blessed Mother. Just as the Apostle Saint Thomas at the feet of the resurrected Redeemer exclaimed with confidence, “My Lord and my God!” so also should devotees of the Virgin, before this miraculous picture, repeat with heartfelt confidence those sweet words, “Mater mea Fiducia mea!” (My Mother, my Confidence!).

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

alicegunther wrote:
Our "school" is named for Our Lady of Knock, an apparition of the Blessed Mother in County Mayo, Ireland. The short story (there are a few more details to it) of why we chose it is that I first felt called to home educate when praying at the shrine of Our Lady of Knock in East Durham, NY.

Our Lady of Knock is also called, "Golden Rose, Queen of Ireland," so I always stock up on beautiful gold foil rose stickers for use all over (envelopes, crafts, projects). The children view the golden rose as our family symbol!

I love this, Alice!! My father's people are from Mayo, and the only thing I have from my paternal grandmother is a rosary she gave to my mother that was from Knock!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version