Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Discover Your Child's Learning Style Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 10 2007 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Has anyone read this book written by Mariaemma Willis and Victoria Kindle Hodson?

I am currently reading it, and have done the profile for my dd(10.5). By a far gap, she falls into the "Relates/Inspires" disposition, with "Thinks/Creates" 18 points behind.

After I completed the scoring, my first thought was,"What are we doing HSing her?" Most of the description (in my mind) would point to a child who really needs to be in a group setting-school! Now, I do understand that the way I teach her needs to be centered around *humans*. But how I do that will be a challenge.

Anyone BTDT? Input? Advice?

Thankyou!

Warmly,
Christy
Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I used this book when I first homeschooled my youngest sister to get an idea of where she's at with her learning style. She had only just started 8th grade when my mother and I pulled her out (not forcefully I can tell you!). It was dead-on for her - she returned to public school the following year, but have supplemented at home during times she just couldn't handle school with projects developed from her textbooks using her particular styles. She always returned to school ahead of her peers.

I forget now which areas she's in - we just automatically know what is most likely to work with her - AND she's more willing to try other ways now that's comfortable knowing that her style is still being respected.

I am sure there are ways to incorporate 'humans' into your home learning, depending on the subject area: visits to senior citizens, homeschooling groups (helping with little ones, projects with those at her level), field trips to visit professionals in various fields... just some ideas.

:)
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

nicole-amdg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 10 2007 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote nicole-amdg

Christy,
I just put this book on hold at my library--my dd sounds exactly the way yours does. Something I've noticed that helps her is to have a "study buddy. She's done a few things with the co-op in our area--she loves a class setting, especially when she's got someone next to her, working with her. And anything she can pair up with a friend to do seems to be more fun, and she's more motivated in it.

Just $.02 off the cuff--I can't wait to read this book.

Back to Top View nicole-amdg's Profile Search for other posts by nicole-amdg

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2007 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

blessed2Bmom wrote:
Has anyone read this book written by Mariaemma Willis and Victoria Kindle Hodson?

Yes! My review is here

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Joelle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 11 2007 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote Joelle

I am going through the book right now! My almost 11yo ds and 7yo dd have gone through assessments and it has been a joy to see how they see themselves! It didn't tell me much more than I could have guessed, but I love that it goes deeper than the visual-audio-kinesthetic modality. I plan to use it to help me decide how and when to have them do their work, what environment will work best and how I can present material to them. My dd is also pretty high on the relates/inspires disposition as well. I think it's important to keep in mind that this a piece of the whole assessment and we don't have to make the whole curriculum center around that area exclusively (overwhelming ). An idea that I had was a homeschool group of girls meeting once or twice a month to cover a topic they are learning about. For example, on an older level, some of the high schoolers in our Catholic HS support group have a Shakespheare group that meets 2X/month at a coffee shop. They read and study (and see, if possible) the plays, and a knowledgeable parent leads the group. Something like that for even one of her subjects may help.

Bella
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Bella

Thankyou for your replies!

I have now signed her up for a science camp, and am planning on keeping her in dance. Another group setting she is in is 4-H. But I do think she needs a study buddy. Our HS group is super small, and pretty divided, so our choices are limited. One thing I am thinking about is putting her into our PS for both music and art class. The music thing would have to be watched very carefully, but this is more of learning how to play an instrument and play in a band.

I have cried over the fact that she would rather spend time with her friend than her family-wondering what we've done wrong. We now understand that is just her personality. Liike right now-DH has taken ds,dd, and one of her friends fishing. Before, I would have said no to the friend, that she needs quality time with the family. And I do agree that there is more to this assessment than the #1 disposition, but because she scored so high and beyond the others, I fell I do have to give it much thought and planning.

Before this, all that I had read was the info by Gardner and Armstrong. They gave me no more info than what I already knew. This does reveal much more.

Anyway, anymore insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou!

Warmly,
Christy
Back to Top View Bella's Profile Search for other posts by Bella

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version