Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Arm’s Reach Co-Sleeper question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Hi all,
Elizabeth mentioned the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper at one point, and I have been seriously thinking about getting it for this new baby. Now my parents have offered to get it for us as a baby gift, so I am making purchase decisions.

Can all of you who have used this tell me if the mini co-sleeper might be large enough for a child up to a year old? The mini model is quite a bit less expensive and is available locally at Babies R Us in a good neutral color that would match my bedroom. It would also take up a lot less space on my side of the bed.

It is definitely smaller than the original -- 34 inches long, as opposed to 40 inches, and also somewhat narrower. Our babies tend to be about a year when they stop nursing at night and are ready to move to a big crib in another room, so the 23 pound weight limit for the mini might not be a problem. But I am concerned about the 34 inch length. Wouldn't a large one-year-old be pretty squished in a 34 inch bassinette?

Do you think it would be worth the extra money and space to get the original model? What do you think, Elizabeth? Anyone else?

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 5:22am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I think it's too small, Irene. I have the original Co-Sleeper, which we set up this weekend only to discover glitches in the new cover and leg extensions. Long story, but I have to put in a plug here for the Arms Reach people--they were amazingly nice and very helpful.

Anyway, it is set up (though uncovered). Come by and see it. If you decide to order, don't mess with a vendor--order directly from Arms Reach.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

We also have the Original and love it! We got the Natural color and it is is very neutral. I second Elizabeth's opinion on ordering directly from Arms Reach.

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Irene,

What sleeping arrangements did you have with your other babies? I ask this because, I purchased the regular size with our second baby. It was new in the package, never used at a re-sale baby goods store. I nursed our babies in our king size bed, often while they slept and I was half awake. By the time they were finished nursing, I was too sleepy/lazy/(afraid they would wake up!) to move them into the co-sleeper.

Our co-sleeper became a great place to quickly plonk a pile of folded clothing waiting to be put away. Our older toddlers thought it was a super place to be when they first woke up.

I really wanted to like (and use) the co-sleeper, but it never happened. When I had it set up for our third child and did not really use it, I decided to save space in our smallish bedroom and I re-sold it on eBay for double what I paid for it, which certainly removed my buyer's remorse.   

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Thanks so much for the feedback. I just ordered the original size one with leg extensions. I had about an hour and half of real contractions this afternoon (about 1 minute long every minute or two by the end of that time!) and was starting to wonder how long to wait to call the doctor when they began to subside. That experience got me moving on my ordering in the hope that the co-sleeper might be here in time for the baby.

And thanks for the other perspective, Kristina. I appreciate it. I had the first four in a bassinette a few steps away from my bed and the last one slept mostly in bed with us. But we only have a queen size bed and my husband is a lousy sleeper with a long commute; he can't afford to lose much more of his limited sleep due to a crowded bed. I am hoping that this is a good thing for us -- and it doesn't end up as our laundry hold-all too.

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 31 2006 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Chiming in late...

I got the mini co-sleeper with this baby. He is 7 months old, and I took the co-sleeper down last month, and he's just in bed with us now. I was really glad we had it while he was little, and I felt better about him being in it as a newborn, since our 2 1/2 year-old is in our bed, too. However, by 6 months old, he was over 20 lbs, and just too long for it. He'd wake himself up knocking into the sides of the co-sleeper.

I think it would be fine for a smaller baby, for up to a year, but smaller babies are something I don't have

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 01 2006 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Hey I just ordered one of these too! Just yesterday in fact. I got the original not the mini - my last baby was 10 lbs. and who knows how big this baby will be and I would like to use it for a year. I did get mine through a vendor though. I figured it was worth it for the savings as I only paid $139 and the shipping was free.

We have used a crib open on one side for thel ast several babies and it's works great but the crib is not looking too lovely these days and Matthew is still sleeping in it and I don't think he's ready for the toddler bed. Well, let's put it this way, WE aren't ready for him to be in the toddler bed yet because although he can climb out of his crib he doesn't. In a toddler bed I know he would not stay in it and I am too tired these days to be chasing him at night!

Anyway I orderd the natural color to match my comforter - and in keeping with the elegant simplicity theme of the room.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 02 2006 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

More questions here as we've been considering one of these- Are the sides high enough to keep an older baby or toddler safe? Would they be able to dive over the edge? And why do you think it is better to order direct?
thanks!

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Sept 02 2006 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

They are not high enough to keep an older baby from diving over the edge.

I ordered a liner and leg extensions from Baby Bungalow. It said clearly on the page that it fit all co-sleepers. When they came, they didn't fit mine. I called Arm's Reach directly and the woman who helped me was very kind. She said that the leg extensions and the liner were different for sleepers made before 2002. She said they'd "encouraged" Baby Bungalow to be clear on that, to no avail. She also noted the BB was more expensive.

Then, she offered to take the ill-fitting liner and extensions (even though I hadn't purchased from them) and to send out new ones. Then, since they didn't have the exact color I'd ordered (it doesn't come in the size for the older sleeper,) she said she would send me two liners and that I could just hold onto to all the return merchandise and I could return the liner I didn't want with the one that didn't fit. She never asked for a credit card and really seemed more concerned that she get it all to me before the baby is born. I can't say enough good things about the company!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 02 2006 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Elizabeth wrote:
I ordered a liner and leg extensions from Baby Bungalow. It said clearly on the page that it fit all co-sleepers. When they came, they didn't fit mine. I called Arm's Reach directly and the woman who helped me was very kind. She said that the leg extensions and the liner were different for sleepers made before 2002. She said they'd "encouraged" Baby Bungalow to be clear on that, to no avail. She also noted the BB was more expensive.

I can defiinitely see the advantage of ordering direct if you need to add something to what you already have. FWIW I didn't order from Baby Bungalow but from The Baby Catalog. They came recommended but I can't share my personal experience with them until I get my order.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Sept 02 2006 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

MicheleQ wrote:
Hey I just ordered one of these too! Just yesterday in fact. I got the original not the mini - my last baby was 10 lbs. and who knows how big this baby will be and I would like to use it for a year. I did get mine through a vendor though. I figured it was worth it for the savings as I only paid $139 and the shipping was free.

Rats! Timing is everything. The one I ordered the same day as you, Michelle, was also from a vendor, but a bit more money than yours. Oh, well . . .

I couldn't justify going with Arms Reach, with both the higher price and the extra shipping. (My shipping was free too.) But, neither my vendor (Baby Bungalow) nor Arms Reach had the leg extension kit in the natural color in stock. So I had to place a separate order with Babies R Us for that. Even with the two separate orders, I still saved a bundle. And they are both already on their way to me according to the shipping emails I received the next day.

I noticed that there were references to the co-sleepers made before 2004 being a different size on a few websites, so I was hoping that Elizabeth's problems with fit were related to that. By buying both things new now, I am assuming the crib with fit the extension legs fine.

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 03 2006 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

Thanks for the info Elizabeth! We just ordered one from Arms Reach, and saved by getting a discontinued color. Your customer service story is pretty amazing! It's nice to hear of companies that still treat customers well. We're looking forward to this new bit of elegance for our bedroom - thanks ladies!

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 05 2006 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

It just got here via UPS! WOW that was fast since I only ordered it Thursday evening. I haven't set it up yet but it's all here and in good condition. So far I would say that Baby catalog has my recommendation!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version