Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: gift ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

Anyone have any ideas for what they are planning to get for Christmas gifts? Is it too early for that? :) I'd like to at least start thinking about what I'd like to get so I can plan my budget a little. We do three gifts on Christmas morning, as well as a little thing or two for epiphany (religious in nature) and PJ's on Christmas Eve. I am not coming up with any brilliant ideas so far for anyone but my 9yo...probably because most of us have fall birthdays so I feel like I've tapped out.

For the 9yo boy, I'm thiking of Keva planks, a kit I found where you "excavate" gemstones out of a block of sand/rock, and one of those waveboards.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Lacrosse thing today.. I'm thinking I may need to plan equipment as gifts at least for the older kids..

and I was thinking fisher price little people for the two youngest..

hmm.. books.. love books

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Oh, it's not too early! I usually procrastinate with EVERYTHING and then regret it. I need time to find items especially while on sale.

All four of my children want skates. I haven't priced them, yet. I imagine that's what will break the budget for us.

My 9yo who wants to be a firefighter when he grows up and asked specifically for two firefighter action figures and house to pretend he is putting out fires.

Nicholas wants Legos -- always
DH and I are looking for some sort of weight equipment or punching bag for him.   (we've found a few things very inexpensive on our local garage sale list -- like craigslist, but even cheaper.)

Olivia wants dolls and craft kits.

Each child will receive a crucifix necklace -- Nathan specifically asked for a St. Benedict cross (his patron saint).

Kmart has 70% off of their 14kt gold -- Olivia miiiight get some earrings (5 pairs of 14kt studs and tiny hoops are now $19).

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I'm already slowly working at it too.

So far I found a brand new Melissa and Doug floor puzzle for $1 at a thrift store

Your Story Hour CDs-ebay
Two movies my older guys were hoping for: Master and Commander ($2.99 ebay) and Night at the Museum (ebay-$3.25)

My 14yo ds has a blacksmith forge in the barn, so he will be happily receiving a bag of coal for Christmas!

My 18 yo ds wants a skirt, oops, I mean a kilt to go with his bagpipes...

I'm hoping American Girl will have a free shipping sale soon, my little girls would love the Bitty Baby twins.

Christmas shopping is so difficult for me, I hate **stuff** we already have enough Lincoln logs and Playmobil to choke a horse, I want to find a few quality items and be done.

Looking forward to more ideas here.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

"to choke a horse" I love that!

Real simple this year: mucking boots for everyone, a few movies and books!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I want to do more etsy purchases this year. I could do this myself, but I know I have no time, but I was thinking felt food. DD 4yrs asked already for one of those annoying dolls that turns her head, drinks a bottle, cries etc. I hate those things! But she so wants one, might break down on get that one. She also wants a makeup kit. So I might just buy some "real" makeup for her in a pretty bag. My boys love football jerseys and socks! The oldest dd, 14, loves movies and books, she's easy! I have problems with dh!!!!! No ideas!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Just started planning out homemade Christmas goodies for my littles (two 3yos and a baby) last week and took a trip to the fabric store this morning...

Each of the kids will get a simple saints doll. I used the Saints N Stitches pattern on Waltzing Matilda (thanks, Charlotte!) to draw my children's patrons. Then I'm just going to embroider, stuff, and sew.

I'm going to make something like the Treasure Bag from Amanda Soule's Handmade Home for my two 3yos to take on nature outings.

My son will be getting some felt "vestments" (he loves pretending to be Father!).

My two daughters will get some new hair bands (I'm making headbands for the baby and ribbon ponytail holders for my older daughter).

I have holy card key rings ready for each of them for their St. Nicholas stockings.

I make an ornament for the children every year; this year it will be the birds from Joelle Hoverson's Last-Minute Quilted Gifts.

And I think I'll pick up a set of plain wooden doll turnings for them to use in make-believe play with their blocks--they don't have any person-like figures to play with yet.

That's the plan for now, though I'm hoping to come up with a few other simple things.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

KackyK wrote:
I want to do more etsy purchases this year.

Me too! I've fallen in love with etsy!

And, I would love to continue our tradition of trying to make one thing for each other.

I fall in the less is more category. Less stuff to be overwhelming for the children...less stuff in the traffic pattern...but I haven't given any thoughts to specifics yet. Hmmmm...guess I should start getting organized and making a few plans and lists!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

DominaCaeli wrote:
And I think I'll pick up a set of plain wooden doll turnings for them to use in make-believe play with their blocks--they don't have any person-like figures to play with yet.

What a great idea! If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I always see these and think, "Wouldn't it be nice if I had the ability to make clothes and/or paint those cute things?" But, alas, I feel I have underestimated my children! I'm going to give them to them plain and let them pretend they are anything they want!

Thank you.

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Waverley wrote:
DominaCaeli wrote:

What a great idea! If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I always see these and think, "Wouldn't it be nice if I had the ability to make clothes and/or paint those cute things?" But, alas, I feel I have underestimated my children! I'm going to give them to them plain and let them pretend they are anything they want!

That's me too, Waverley--I would love to paint a set for my kids like the adorable peg-people families I see online, but I'm not sure they'd be recognizable as people by the time I'm done with them!    And at least by leaving them plain, my toddlers can't argue over who gets which ones!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

My MIL is always asked to bake her famous Scotcheroos for various functions, and is always "misplacing" her cake pans. I ordered a custom cake pan from the Cake Pan Lady.

glinNC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote glinNC

I just learned how to crochet a circle and am going to make each of my boys a warm hat!       I started in the summer but just couldn't "snuggle" in with the wool on a hot and humid day! Time to get back at it!
Back to Top View glinNC's Profile Search for other posts by glinNC

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version