Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Christmas ideas for Dear Husbands Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote DianaC

The most difficult gifts for me to choose are gifts for my husband. Does anyone else have this problem?

So far, I've purchased the planner for men from family-centered which I think he'll really like. And, today, my daughter and I found a nice bird feeder which he might like. But, we are at a loss as to what to get him. He doesn't like to get clothes or gift cards for Christmas, and he has (or has lost!) just about every electronic gadget that you could imagine.

Any ideas?
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Is there anything you like to do together? Last year dh and I got tickets to a play as our Christmas gift to each other. That only works if you have kids at good babysitting age, of course. If you need to stay in maybe "date night in a box". My dh would love some good chocolate and a bottle of wine in there. Maybe a movie and popcorn? A book you'd enjoy reading aloud together?

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Easy here..husband just likes books.

Another thing that he has liked, that his mom bought him, was a Starbucks gift card (he is too thrifty to go there and get a deluxe drink without the card- wish I could have that will!!)

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Okay this sounds cheesey...I thought it was an unexciting gift to ask for but now I see why it'll prove useful.

My dh asked for an air compressor. It's not inexpensive, but it is relatively inexpensive compared to others out there. He wants it so he won't have to take the vans to the gas station anymore to fill up tires and it'll do all the balls in the house great.

Dh asked for books too

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

We got an external harddrive for the computer so that it can be kept backed up. It'll go under the tree with his name on it

And I want to get him a book I know he wants. That and stocking stuffers will be all.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

Kacky I was going to suggest an air compressor too! I think I might get my husband on of those, and a pair of hunting boots.

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Do you and dh play games together? We love to play Ticket to Ride or Settlers of Catan after the kids are in bed-- my dh even enjoys them and he's not really into board games.

I'm getting my hubby an iPod this year-- not a cheap gift, of course, and you mentioned your dh might lose it easily...

Other ideas.... something to listen to in the car if he commutes (a book on CD, perhaps?), a "gift certificate" to have an entire weekend day to himself to go off and do his own thing, a new (ahem) set of "pajamas" for yourself -- of course, he can't open that one 'neath the tree with the whole family watching . I know you mentioned he doesn't like gift cards- but what about one to a restaurant near his work, so he can guiltlessly eat out for lunch once in a while?

I try and think of the tasks my dh does and see if I can find a gift that will make any easier for him- i.e.-- if he chops wood, would a nicer axe make the job easier for him? Or a power tool that would save his back when he's repairing things around the house? A space heater to warm the garage if he's tinkering out there in the colder months? A nice snow shovel? My guy doesn't usually replace his things if they still work fine-- even if a nicer upgrade to one of his tools/clothes/etc would make life just a bit more luxurious. Upgrading something he has can make a nice gift.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote DianaC

Great ideas!

He's already got an air compressor. (We've been married nearly 24 years, so we've accumulated lots and lots of stuff.)

I think that the audiobooks would be a hit - now why didn't I think of that??

Keep the ideas coming!
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote JenPre

My husband asked for 2 specific movies; I got him the Consumer digest buying guide for 2010 as he loves that. I made him a "photo book" on snapfish of our honeymoon. And the only other thing he asked for was "stuff for the baby." So there's a whole bunch of presents that will have his and the baby's name on them under the tree! (But that only works if you've got a baby!)

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Oh, I pray he doesn't find himself reading this thread! Ha.

I usually get him a coffret of petite fragrances every year (it's actually cheaper than a full bottle and he can try out which brands he likes). My husband is one of those men that wears fragrance so well...he always smells good and never cloying. He and I both appreciate fragrance. (Okay..........I LOVE it. I LOVE perfume. You can send me some.) It is a fun, totally indulgent Christmas-type gift.   

Next!

He also has a passion for Catholic fiction. There is a new book on Flannery O'Connor out, who is one of his faves, so I hope he is surprised when he opens it that I found this (advertised on Catholic radio) !

Lastly, I always get him a couple of new shirts. He "goes through" them quickly with shrinkage, cuffs wearing out, stains, etc. so he appreciates getting a new spiffy shirt for work! )

Sometimes I'll frame a cute picture....

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

Dh hasn't had time to shop so I have been taking notes
He loves the fleece sheets ds has on his bed so, I got a set for our bed--for him I am just SO sweet. Yeah. I kind of think they are warm,soft and cozy, too.
Needs a new electric razor--bad. The battery no longer charges and he usually shaves in the car on the way in to work. He now has to shave before leaving the house. So, I was going to replace that for him, but wait....maybe I don't want him shaving in the car?
T shirts. Every other year I have to do this-buy him new white T-shirts for work for Christmas. It is a pain. He doesn't like to do it and neither do I. JC Penney online, here I come.
Chocolate covered espresso beans.
That is it. Also, his birthday is 12/25 so this stuff will get distributed between both days.
Nothing too exciting there but it works for him.
I like the air compressor idea..
Anne

Back to Top View mom2mpr's Profile Search for other posts by mom2mpr

AnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 04 2009 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote AnaB

I'm getting my dh a Kregg Jig (he's been wanting this a long time), a stainless steel water bottle, an insulated tote for the water bottle, and a book light (it's called a hug light and goes around your neck).

I know it would be meaningful to him if I were to find a good picture of him and the kids and frame it. Gotta look for that.

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2009 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

(Cute new avatar, Nina!)
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 04 2009 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

My dh wants a shop-vac...as ours died of over work and under care
I was thinking that I would put a huge red bow on it and place all of the individually wrapped prerequisite socks and underwear on the inside
The kids and I are scrambling around making the money for said gift...and we are having a blast...even the 4yo..."look mom, I found a penny!"
it looks like we may get more a kick out of it than he will...   

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I was stumped, until we heard about a family from church who are in need of clothes and food. He told me not to buy him a gift, that he wants to help sponsor them.

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

KackyK wrote:
O

My dh asked for an air compressor.

My DH wants an air compressor too!

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

My dh loves to pop popcorn on the stove. He hates microwave popcorn. I found an old-fashioned Whirlie Pop stove top popper in the Lee Valley catalog and ordered him that, plus some Amish popcorn kernels. I hope to add a big enamel popcorn bowl and five of those plastic movie theater like holders if the budget allows.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

We just recieved the Whirlie Pop stove top popper from my grandmother. We made our first batch today and it was quite tasty!

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2009 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Gift certificates to "Timmies" ~ that's Tim Horton's up here in Canada eh?!   

Gift certificates for a car wash!

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 09 2009 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

AnaB wrote:
I'm getting my dh a Kregg Jig (he's been wanting this a long time), a stainless steel water bottle, an insulated tote for the water bottle, and a book light (it's called a hug light and goes around your neck).

I know it would be meaningful to him if I were to find a good picture of him and the kids and frame it. Gotta look for that.

My dh loves his pocket hole jig and even crafted an attachment to hook it up to the shop vac so he could do multiple tasks without a build up of sawdust inside.

Dh just told me he was getting me a gift. Aaagh! Even he admits he can't think of anything he wants. He mentioned wanting one of these Residential Construction Academy books which are expensive but really the best. Of course, it doesn't sound like much fun to me to get as a gift. He mentioned that there were some things he could get me that would be practical, but he was planning on getting me something impractical.

All this came about yesterday, and now I'm stuck in that do-I-get-something-just-to-get-it place?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version