Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Geography and Christmas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I wasn't sure where to post this but the book has so much history and geography, I figured I'd post here.

I found one of those treasures I always hope to find when I go to a used book sale:The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder is just such a treasure.

This book is divided into the 24 days before Christmas so you can read a chapter a day, starting on Dec 1. This book is about a trip from a small town in Norway all the way back thru time and space to Bethlehem ... and each town set in its place in history, is described.

The book is so well-written and builds to such an exciting outcome ... you really need to see it (and Amazon has used copies for $1 so it's worth the shipping!). The characters start out in Halden, Norway and travel thru Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Croatia, Dalmatia, Macedonia, Constaninople, Antioch, Nazareth and Bethlehem. Because they are also traveling back in time, there is 2000 years of history explained too. As the travelers go on their way, they pick up sheep, Magi and other travelers also heading to see the Christ Child.

A great Advent read-aloud with lots of build-up and mystery about the outcome on Dec 24th!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Thanks, Mary!

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sounds Great, Mary. How about age level?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Ooh! My library has a copy .

Thanks, Mary.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Jenn, Your guy might be a bit young as the chapters are probably 20 minute read-alouds and he may not be able to keep the folks straight. I'd say it's probably a listening level of 7-12 ... something like that.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2007 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Woohoo Mary...sounds great...Thanks!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Thanks, Mary! I picked this book up at a garage sale this summer for a dime, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Time to go dig it out!

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Thanks, Mary. Just ordered my copy!

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

This will be our third year reading this fabulous book! The first year, my kids were 15, 9, 7 and 4- and they *all* loved it, even the youngest! My very visual son had Daddy copy out the map onto poster board, and followed along with the story, drawing in little pictures, etc. This year we will do the same, and my 12yo wants to add the little pictures at the beginning of each chapter to her Advent/ Christmas notebook.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 24 2007 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

LoriB -- I'm so glad to hear that this is such a hit at your house ... I'm really thinking the littles are going to like reading it too ... and it's a great geography/history unit!

It's always a mixed blessing for me -- I love getting great deals on used books at library sales but I HATE that they're getting rid fo some of these fabulous books .....

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version