Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: So what do you do... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chandra
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Chandra

...with a 19 month old, very busy boy while you try and get school done with the older ones?!? This is our first year homeschooling and I am at a loss! Michael is our first boy and he is so different from his sisters! He doesn't enjoy sitting at the table with us while we do school, I've tried certain blocks/toys just for school time and they each last about 5 minutes and then he's off to find mischief. I feel like I am constantly interrupting the girls asking them to go check on their brother.

The only things that work so far are *gasp* buckling him in his high chair in front of Little Einstiens. He will sit and watch 3-4 episodes in a row before he gets bored. Or as soon as my Kindergartener gets done with her school (she can usually finish in a half hour to 45 minutes) I make her keep him occupied. We do save the harder subjects for when he is napping, but I am finding myself needing to nap at the same time as this pregnancy progresses. So, what do you do with little ones that are sooooo busy while you are trying to school a few older ones?

Chandra mom to,
Lexi 9
Tori 8
Liz 6
Gen 4
Becca 2
Michael 19 months and baby boy due in June
Back to Top View Chandra's Profile Search for other posts by Chandra

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2007 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

I am relatively new to hs'ing, too. My kids are around the same age as your's. I usually have one of the big kids keep the younger two occupied while I work with each of the biggers. They rotate. It is not perfect, and I still run interference when needed, but my 16 month old doesn't generally want to be on my lap or sitting still for much time at all. Blocks usually turn into weapons at this point. HE pelts whoever is within throwing distance with them. So...having the bigger kids rotate time with the sixteen month old, and sometimes with the three year old, is the best solution I have found so far. Some days we are all together, and it does work, but most days we rotate.

HTH.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 12:28pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Rotating the big kids to watch him is a good idea. Another is to toddler proof the house or at least parts of it. Lock bedroom doors and bathrooms. Secure all scissors and writing utensils that don't scrub easily from walls. Also, strategically place different toys/activities around the house that would catch his eye while he is looking for mischief. For example, instead of giving him blocks or puzzles, put some on a bench in the hallway. If he thinks it is his own idea, he might be more likely to use it.

It has been a while since I had a toddler boy, my youngest boy is 9, but my 3 yr old dd is just as mischievious as any boy! I think she has written on every wall and door in our house. She has cut her hair, smothered the coat rack with Desitin, scrubbed the bathroom mirrors with handsoap, and so on. It is an almost constant cry around here "Where is Kateri?!"

One thing that was a life saver for our little active guy years ago was a Jump-o-lene
He would spend hours playing in this. These days he spends his days on the trampoline outside.

good luck!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2007 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

This is my first year homeschooling -- and my toddler gained TONS of weight when I first started because my solution was to give him a snack every time that he wandered!!

On a serious note, I looked in the Montessori forum here and took some of the "practical life" suggestions and made baskets for 2 year old in the kitchen. Some of his favorites are washing the patio door windows and pouring beans.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

extremeknitter
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 15 2007 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote extremeknitter

I have the girls take care of their brother, too. I have them take turns.   Sometimes we'll move school to whatever room necessary so I can sit on the floor with him while going over math lessons or doing dictation or whatever.

Back to Top View extremeknitter's Profile Search for other posts by extremeknitter Visit extremeknitter's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version