Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: family nutrition Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 30 2005 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Hi everyone!

Can anyone recommend a good book on family nutrition?

I'd like something that will help me to gradually change some of our eating habits around here but not so radical that I have to eat whole-wheat-everything. I'd love to find a book that gives a how-to of healthy eating, not just recipes for a family of 3 , so that I can adapt our basic recipes a bit. I know I need to cut out refined sugar as much as possible, but I'm such a sugar junkie these days...I need a gentle approach.

Has anyone read Whole Foods for the Whole Family in CCLs catalog?

Does anyone have any great tips for slipping a bit of nutrition into basic dishes that could use a little help?
(My mom used to put wheat germ in our pancakes or anything with bread.)

And while I'm at it, is anyone else frustrated to have been on the "too-busy-taking-college-prep-courses-to-make-time-for-home- ec" schedule in high school?...I could have really used the lessons on nutritional bargains and basic sewing! Lot of good physics is doing me now, huh?!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 30 2005 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I love Whole Foods for the Whole Family. Other favorites are Dr. Sears' The Family Nutrition Book and Laurel's Kitchen. And check outSue Gregg--I have her whole collection and, like the others, they are cookbooks with nutrition lessons interwoven.

My absolute favorites are by Mollie Katzen. These cookbooks are all vegetarian but she has such a balanced approach to food and eating. Her website has a plethora of ideas. She has two children's cookbooks too!

I have a friend who went to Brigham Young University. There, women had to take home-ec courses every semester. She's got a really good liberal arts education and an excellent domestic arts education. I think we need to consciously encourage our daughters to make room for both.

Personally, I rarely use physics but I so wish I were an accomplished seamstress

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 30 2005 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Elizabeth the Mollie Katzen cookbooks look wonderful. I just ordered the breakfast one. Thanks!

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

1Bookworm
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 08 2005 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote 1Bookworm

Another great book is called Saving Dinner. The book is an outgrowth of the Flylady Phenomenon. I'm sorry, I've forgotten the author's name and I loaned it out recently to a girlfriend, but I like it because its really good "normal" food but without ingredients like Cream of Mushroom soup or dried French Onion powder.:-) Her recipes assume a family of 6, I believe, and they are organized according to season. If you wanted to follow a week's worth of her recipes, you could just xerox off her shopping list and be set for dinners for a week (although honestly, I haven't pulled this off yet).

Hope this helps!

Bookworm

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 03 2005 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote mary

Another vote for Mollie Katzen. My boys love her Honest Pretzels and Pretend Soup cookbooks. Does she have a cookbook that is not vegetarian?
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 03 2005 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

I agree with all the suggestions here. I love them all! I was unpacking my cookbooks today and it was several boxes worth...

When I was first into whole foods cooking the Goldbeck's Guide to Good Food was in the LLL library and it was a good primer. Now I think the Sears' Family Nutrition book would be a more ***digestable* choice.

JoAnna, who is very good at giving whole foods suggestions but is a LONG way from that IDEAL right now

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version