Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Who is your 4Real patron saint? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 04 2007 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Mary Ann, I joined the same date you did! I think I'll need all seven of them.   

Great thread, Helen!   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2007 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote amyable

I joined March 7th, 2005! Can it really be almost exactly two years? Time has flown...

Here are the saints for my day:

Ardo
Deifer
Drausinus
Enodoch
Eubulus
Felicity
Gaudiosus of Brescia
German Gardiner
John Ireland
John Larke
Paul of Prusa
Paul the Simple
Perpetua
Teresa Margaret Redi
Theophylact

I had only ever heard of Felicity and Perpetua ...but I think I'll need all of them too! Holy Saints of God, pray for us!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2007 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Great idea

I joined on 27th February 2005. That means I get St.Anne Line, one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales, who was executed for harbouring priests.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Well well well....

GWENDOLINE
Also known as
Gundelindis; Guendelindis
Memorial
28 March
Daughter of the Duke of Alsace. Niece of Saint Ottilia. Benedictine nun. Abbess at Niedermunster.
Died
c.750
Name Meaning
white (= gwen)
Canonized
Pre-Congregation

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2007 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Gwen, that is so neat!!!!

I joined on February 7, and I'm not too familiar with the saints of that day, but there are some neat ones. Many are only beatified, though.

There are some interesting historical perspectives all in one day. There are martyrs from the Hugeuenot War, English persecution, World War II, Spanish Civil War, Russian persecution....

Juliana of Bologna I don't think I could imitate. She raised 4 children alone because she willingly let her husband leave to become a priest!

St. Pius IX

From John Paul II I have:

Blessed Adalbert Nierychlewski, a priest who died in Auschwitz.

St. Giles Mary-of-Saint-Joseph who is also known as "Saint of the Little Way" with great devotion to St. Joseph.

Blessed Anselmo Polanco and Felipe Ripoll Morata, both martyrs of the Spanish Civil War.

Blessed Rosalie Rendu.

Blessed Peter Verhun, Siberian martyr.

Eugenie Smet was a friend of St. John Vianney, and founded Society of Helpers of the Holy Souls.

Not sure which one I would choose.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Wendy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2007 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote Wendy

I like this thread.

I joined on February 14! I have always liked St. Valentine's Day...

Momma to Grace, Sam, Ben, Maggie, Mary Cate, and Jamie
Back to Top View Wendy's Profile Search for other posts by Wendy

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 05 2007 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I joined February 11. When I first looked at the saints list, I found that there weren't any I was familiar with or that jumped out at me. I kept thinking, "Isn't there a major feast day?" Well, sure, it hit me later - Our Lady of Lourdes! It just wasn't listed on the Catholic Forum site Helen linked to. What a fitting patron for me - we just visited the Lourdes Marian Center here (one of only two places that distributes the healing water in the US) as it is adjacent to our parish.   

Liked your connection, too, Gwen! This was a great idea, Helen. There are a lot of us February joiners after it opened.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2007 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote mariB

I joined on December 20, 2006 and my patron is St. Dominic of Silos. He was born 1000 A.D. and was a Benedictine monk and is a patron saint for
pregnant woman.

It's amazing to me my patron 4 real saint is a Benedictine monk as our whole family started a book of St. Benedict at that time and St. Benedict is a saint that our family has devoted themselves to. He is our patron St. for this year!

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2007 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

February 23rd - Saint Polycarp, bishop of Smyrna (modern Izmir, Turkey), disciple of St. John the Apostle and friend of St. Ignatius of Antioch.

"Stand fast, therefore, in this conduct and follow the example of the Lord, 'firm and unchangeable in faith, lovers of the brotherhood, loving each other, united in truth,' helping each other with the mildness of the Lord, despising no man" (Polycarp, Letter to the Philippians).

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2007 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

Great idea for a thread! I joined October 28, 2006. The saints are:

Abraham
Alberic of Stavelot
Alfred the Great
Anastasia II
Anglinus
Cyril
Cyrilla of Rome
Demetrius of Rostov
Dorbhene of Iona
Eadsin
Faro
Ferrutius
Fidelis of Como
Godwin
Honoratus of Vercelli
Joachim Royo
John Dat
Jude Thaddeus
Remigius
Salvius
Simon the Apostle

Too many to choose from, but of course, I tend to lean toward Jude Thaddeus and Alfred the Great.

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Helen wrote:

Elizabeth,
How did you know the date of your first post?

I pressed 'search' on one of my posts and a list of all my posts came up. It's chronological by last rather than first post on the thread, but I recognised which was my first post and saw the date.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 06 2007 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

St. John Bosco

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I joined February 12 and didn't recognize any of the many saints off-hand. I clicked on St. John the Hospitaller though and discovered that he is the patron saint of Boatmen!!!

How is that?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2007 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

marihalojen wrote:
I joined February 12 and didn't recognize any of the many saints off-hand. I clicked on St. John the Hospitaller though and discovered that he is the patron saint of Boatmen!!!

How is that?

TOTALLY!

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 08 2007 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Mine is the Nativity of St. John the Baptist (my home parish) and St. Alena whom I have never heard of, but my middle name is Elena. Pretty although she had an arm ripped off something I don't plan to emulate....

Joann in AL
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 09 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Joann in AL

These are "my" saints for March 29th:

Armosgastes
Barachasius
Berthold
Firminus
Gladys
Gwynllyw
Hugh of Vaucelles
Jeanne Marie de Maille
Jonas
Lasar
Ludolph
Mark of Arethusa
Pastor
Saturus
Secundus

I had a great-aunt named Gladys. She was, like the Queen Gladys, quite wild in her younger days. So I like that saint. I like St Jeanne Marie as well since my name is Joann Marie
But I do want to say to Annie that I would LOVE to have had St Eugene de Mazenod.
I "adopted" him in 2002 as a patron for our family after finding out some pretty awful stuff about dh's family of origin which impacted our own family terribly. Dh's middle name is Eugene and so I asked St Eugene to intercede for his conversion. Dh came into the Church last Easter. At our youngest son's christening, I put St Eugene specifically in the Litany and after Mass a friend of mine asked about him. She prayed to him and things in their family are turning around. I wouldn't say he was particularly quick like St Anthony, but he interceded for my husband for only 3 years and I prayed for my husband's conversion for 17 years before that...
There are other prayers that I have seen this saint answer (or more accurately, help obtain a favorable answer to from the Lord)that I am not comfortable posting on so public a forum. But really, he's quite a good friend.

Joann

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Thank you for sharing this saint's powerful prayer intercession Joann in your family's life ~ isn't it wonderful there is a saint for everything and that you know they can relate to your prayer intention?   

The reason I recognised him is that a couple of suburbs over from us is a parish called, St Eugene de Mazenod......and it's not like we don't have our disfunctional moments.... I now know exactly who to turn to. (maybe it is the times I sit on the computer a bit too long.. )

I love his devotion to the Immaculate Conception and he was a missionary...a beautiful saint ~ what an informative thread it has been!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 09 2007 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

On my calendar for April 3 it's St. Isidore of Seville, but he's not listed on the Catholic Forum list.

St. Isidore, born in Spain, was the last of the ancient Christian philosophers (he introduced Aristotle to his country--mucho gusto) and the last of the great Latin Fathers. He wrote the first "summa," the fame of which popularized encyclpedic writing.

I like this quote from the Catholic Encyclopedia: ". . . he had availed himself of the resources of education to counteract the growing influence of Gothic barbarism." And this: "His [writing] style, though simple and lucid, cannot be said to be classical."

We try, our efforts may not be as perfect as we want them, but they can still bear good fruit. That's my hope, anyway.

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 09 2007 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote julia s.

Kathryn UK wrote:
Great idea

I joined on 27th February 2005. That means I get St.Anne Line, one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales, who was executed for harbouring priests.

Me too! I had never heard of her before (or any of the others on the list) and I had decided she was very brave and I could use that so she was my choice for patron.
Nice sharing a patron saint with you Kathryn.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2007 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I joined May 18 - didn't recognize many but looked up the ones with links.

Dioscorus was a martyr in 305 in Egypt. Other martyrs were Theodatus and Venantius (martyred as a teen) so guess he'd be a good patron for faithfulness in our teens.

Eric of Sweden was also a martyr and known for defense of country and faith. The little blurb said that he codified Swedish law under gospel principals. Sounds like he'd be a good one to ask for our countries' return to Christian roots.

I've always been fascinated and drawn to martyrs.

John I was 53rd pope and kidnapped by an Arian and died in captivity - not technically a martyr but pretty close. He died of thirst and starvation in prison.

Merililaun is patron of apprentices and founded society of ST Joseph and director of a college for working men. I guess I have been pondering what direction to go with one dc who finds academics extremely difficult and trying to find a new balance. I think I'll ask St. Merililaun for some ideas.

I guess I most identified with Felix of Cantalice (not a martyr) since he couldn't even read (I can read, but feel like the most uneducated member of the board) but was consulted by many saints on matters even on Scripture and helped St. Charles Borromeo come up with the constitution for Oblates of St Ambrose (happened due to St Philip Neri's recommendation) And, get this, he worked with children teaching them catechism.

I think I've found a great intercessor for all the times I wonder how someone with no knowledge is going to teach ... He nicknamed himself the Ass of the Capuchins and others nicknamed him Bro. Deo Gratius. Now this is something I need to work on - more gratitude so again a great intercessor when my negativity gets the upper hand! He was great buddies with other Saints (all of whom were known for cheerfulness) and seemed to be a great supporter of others. I tend to be a better supporter than leader/starter so that seems appropriate.

Thanks for starting this. I found a new special Saint and certainly learned about others.

Janet

Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version