Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: car seat sleep news warning from 12/06 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 03 2007 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Um... I thought I would copy my own reply from the "Car Seats" thread below into a new thread for anyone who missed the news stories. People are always telling me I worry too much, maybe I do! I just would've liked this info it it were available when our babies were in their carrier seats, and don't know how much attention it got when it was in the news.

Reply from other thread:

Not to be alarmist, because obviously a lot of people (including myself) have done this many times to no obvious ill effect, but did you ladies see the stories about babies sleeping in car seats (not just in the car) being a serious risk to their ability to breathe?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/OnCall/story?id=2709135&page=1

Our younger son had reflux problems and we ended up with him sleeping at night strapped into his carseat on the floor of our bedroom for probably most of his newborn period. The pediatrician didn't say anything against that and I think said she knew of other parents doing that, when we told her so I guess the risk really is newly known. It apparently has to do with the position they end up in: according to the link above, "all nine of the babies had been sitting with their heads flexed forward and their jaws pressed against their chests." I'm sure you all do your homework and check on the babies a lot but I just wanted to mention it because with our extensive history of carseat-sleeping babies the story struck me and it's not a warning that has become widespread yet AFAIK.

Theresa
Back to Top View insegnante's Profile Search for other posts by insegnante

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 04 2007 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Twice when Michael was a baby, he fell asleep and turned blue. Once, he was in a swing and the other time in a carseat installed at the proper angle. Both times, we were right there and we adjusted his head and all was well. You never forget what a blue baby looks like. Never, in 8 babies, have we left a baby alone to sleep in a swing or a carseat.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Well, all of our babies have napped in car seats, both in the car and in the house.

I think the newer infant seats have a better angle than the kind that were around when my first two were babies. For most of the middle kids, I used a big seat, not the portable kind, that reclined more so that their little heads would not flop forward. It was designed to straighten up on impact to the position of traditional seats.

The last two, I did use an infant seat, but without the base. That way I could recline it more than the little indicator line told me to because it never seemed safe to have them so upright. I have never thought of it in the house.

When they are new I use those head supports anyway, so their heads aren't able to flop down. I wonder if the babies in the study had the head supports.

I don't use a swing. I hated the way the baby's legs would get cold, at least with the old swings where the bay's legs hung down. Of course swings are dangerous in our house anyway, with too many helpful "pushers"!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We had our son sleeping in the car seat because he wouldn't sleep any way else because of his reflux. I'm glad he survived this!

So if I ever have another one with reflux, I'll get an Amby.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2007 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Seems if you need baby to sleep more upright.. it would be easy enough to just be sure that the car seat is tipped enough to keep the baby's head resting against the seat instead of hanging forward??

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version