Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: How will you "decorate" for Lent? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

gracie4309 wrote:
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! It's hard to choose which ones I want to use this year. I really like the idea of the crown of thorns and using a purple tablecloth, but I'm thinking of putting the crown of thorns on a shallow
pan(?) filled with sand to symbolize the desert with a votive candle or two.

Oh a great idea! And I just happen to have a bucket of sand on my back steps.

Quote:
Also, last year I downloaded some pictures of the Stations of the Cross, which I hope to hang up on Fridays so we can pray the Stations together.
Does anyone know a good resource for praying the Stations with children?

I do! There's a new book out that's just beautiful. I just posted a review of it on my blog. It's called Follow Me and it's from Suffering Servant Scriptorium. I can't wait to start using it. The author is a truly wonderful holy woman who I have gotten to know through meeting her at conferences. She also has a Rosary booklet that's equally lovely.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

MicheleQ wrote:
There's a new book out that's just beautiful. I just posted a reviewof it on my blog. It's called Follow Me and it's from Suffering Servant Scriptorium. I can't wait to start using it. The author is a truly wonderful holy woman who I have gotten to know through meeting her at conferences. She also has a Rosary booklet that's equally lovely.

Ooh! I love the scriptural Rosary book. Too late for me to get this book for this year, but it is on my list for next.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I stopped in the dollar store today to get batteries and found this lovely little votive candle holder.

Won't that just look perfect in the center of the crown of thorns and sitting in the sand?!

I just had to share.

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas - it's so inspiring!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Perfect, Michele.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

Maria B. wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
Sharon,
I make a batch of salt dough and separate it into three balls. I roll the balls into "ropes" and then braid them. Then, I make a circle of the braid, add the toothpicks and bake. I usually add the flowers when the "crown" is bare and use it as a centerpiece Easter Sunday. The bareness of it all seems to suit Holy Saturday (the day we make the floral wreath).

I have a sleeping baby on my lap, but I'll post a salt dough recipe later if you need it.

Elizabeth:

Question - do your kids pull the tooth picks out during Lent as they make lenten sacrifices during Lent? We always have had trouble getting the toothpicks out. How do you handle this?

Maria

Maria,

In the past, I've also used just a plain styrofoam ring that we painted brown...then added all the toothpicks. It was very easy for my littlest ones to remove the toothpicks out of that...we've had trouble w/ our salt dough crowns before.

Just another option.

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

MicheleQ wrote:
I stopped in the dollar store today to get batteries and found this lovely little votive candle holder.

Michelle, after seeing your post, I march myself over to our Dollar Tree tonight and picked up some for myself. Thanks!!

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Along with a crown of thorns and statue covering, we do a "sparse" theme also.

I make "bouquets" out of bare twigs to fill vases. It sounds ugly, but there is actually something uniquely attractive about it. Think something along these lines:

Sometimes, I add in nice greenery stems of shrubs or leaves too. Of course this is all replaced on Easter Sunday with flowers.

enjoythejourney
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote enjoythejourney

Our church has a cross out front that is bare during lent. On Easter Morning, all the congregants bring in fresh flowers to tuck onto the cross, and it makes a beautiful decoration.

I think you could easily do this at home with a grapevine wreath as discussed above...add some pretty fresh flowers when Easter morning arrives.

I love learning from you ladies. You make faith so beautiful!

Cleo (7)
Marcy-Marie (4)
Reece (3)
http://justenjoythejourney.blogspot.com
Back to Top View enjoythejourney's Profile Search for other posts by enjoythejourney

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MicheleQ wrote:
Won't that just look perfect in the center of the crown of thorns and sitting in the sand?!

I just had to share.

Glad you did! I sent dh to pick up a couple for me at my local store around the corner. He was dubious they would be there, since we're in VA and you're in PA...but they were! Lovely! I had just bought purple votive candles, so they will be perfect!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

[QUOTE=MicheleQ] I stopped in the dollar store today to get batteries and found this lovely little votive candle holder.
QUOTE]

Oh how pretty! I hope our dollar store has something similar. Since we are in PA too, may I ask which dollar store you purchased them at? Dollar General, etc.

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

KellyinPA wrote:
Oh how pretty! I hope our dollar store has something similar. Since we are in PA too, may I ask which dollar store you purchased them at? Dollar General, etc.

No it was Dollar Tree. Our local store just relocated across the parking lot to a bigger space and like I said I need batteries. $17 later I had batteries and a votive candle holder and a few other things.    

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

gracie4309 wrote:

Does anyone know a good resource for praying the Stations with children?

My husband made our own best resource years ago - Stations of the Cross boxes. I wrote about it here. We still use them every year for the younger ones.

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

I posted ideas the other day, too -- here.

Also, some ideas were discussed on this thread.

I love the sand and candles idea!

And, I've always loved your Stations of the Cross box, Irene!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you, Irene!!! I wanted to do these last year but didn't get around to it, of course, high hopes for this year! I was thinking we'll concentrate on the Stations of the Cross for Lent but you know what? Our new church has taken them down as of January when we last visited Why? I sure hope it was for cleaning and they'll be back and better than ever. I have hope, the hooks were still in the walls! There are extensive gardens too, surely there will be an outside set to find! I guess I'm just looking forward to exploring anew.

Went to Pier One today, lots of purple pillows and cloths and CANDLES available there, nothing quite as sparkly as your beautiful mosaic though, Michelle Q!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Michele I love them, they match my "stain glass" purple cloth napkins.   Now if this storm passes I can go to the Dollar Tree
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

One more thought I love the sand theme, but that freaks me out, I have a 3 yr son and I KNOW that sand will be flying    Maybe another year, I want to see your pictures!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

molly wrote:
One more thought I love the sand theme, but that freaks me out, I have a 3 yr son and I KNOW that sand will be flying    Maybe another year, I want to see your pictures!

A 3yo son lives here, too. I'm trying to think of things that can be handled and moved. Tablecloths are out, unless I can glue or fasten them somehow. Sand...yikes!

Our Advent wreath was manhandled quite a bit during Advent, but the candles did survive, so the log and candle idea will probably work. The mosaic candles will be on a small altar or something.

I love your description of your tapestry, Molly. Wallhangings are so great! Pictures sometime please? My favorite store is having a sale and maybe I could find some fabric.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 13 2007 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Maria,
Usually our toothpicks come out pretty easily. If they're stubborn we just break them off as close to the salt dough as possible. I wrap the bare wreath in ribbon and then use a hotglue glue to glue flowers on it late the Saturday before Easter.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

amy7
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 14 2007 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote amy7

Lent decorations -

We put a decorative clear glass bowl on our hutch and place another bowl of dry beans next to it. As the children do sacrifices, they drop a bean into the glass bowl. As it fills, it does have a slightly aesthetically pleasing look, though I am not sure you could call it a decoration!

On Easter, the children wake up and find all their dry beans transformed into beautifully colorful jelly beans. This does look pretty (depending on how many sacrifices they've done!). It also conveys so well that Jesus transforms all that we offer up into something much greater as it is united with Him.

Amy
Back to Top View amy7's Profile Search for other posts by amy7

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2007 at 2:04am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

After reading all your posts full of great ideas, I went to Hobby Lobby (yes, we have one too!) and purchased a grapevine wreath for a crown of thorns. I went ahead and bought the little silk flowers and greenery for the Easter wreath. I already have toothpicks and a violet candle to put in the center of the wreath. I talked to dh and the girls about the whole idea and everyone is really looking forward to this.
Thanks for the great ideas and inspiration!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version