Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: That virtual wine tasting! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I've got a mental picture of that! My dh would do the same thing!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

hmmm I forgot to mention.. the only place I have available for purchasing wine is.... safeway well actually also the other grocery store and Rite Aid too.

I usually buy the cheap stuff ($6 or less) but I buy it cheap and put it in my pantry so I usually end up with some nicely aged wines when I don't get to them for a year or more.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

This sounds like lots of fun. Yes, I'm in! We ususally drink reds. Seems like we haven't found any whites we enjoy. Maybe we'll learn of something here!

We have a friend who lives in California whose hobby is wines. Apparently he keeps something like 2000 bottles in his wine cellar. No kidding. DH telephoned him from the liquor store a couple of days before Christmas (we're in Maryland) for direction in choosing for Christmas dinner.   

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

JodieLyn wrote:
hmmm I forgot to mention.. the only place I have available for purchasing wine is.... safeway well actually also the other grocery store and Rite Aid too.

I usually buy the cheap stuff ($6 or less) but I buy it cheap and put it in my pantry so I usually end up with some nicely aged wines when I don't get to them for a year or more.

This is so funny to read although I know many states are like that but here in PA you can only buy it at authorized wine and spirit stores.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Michelle, we're halfway there in OR.. you can get wine and beer in other stores.. but you have to buy hard alcohol from the special liquor only store. Which is weird enough for me after growing up in CA when you could get anything at the grocery store.

And here.. I just remembered there is a wine store in town.. I totally forgot because the one time I was able to sneak in for a quick browse, it looked real expensive.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Oh, this sounds like FUN! I've never meet a wine I didn't like. I love reds and whites are good as long as they're not too sweet. Dessert wines are interesting too, not that I have purchased any since bk (before kids). I would love to try something new. Count me in!

Lettres de mon Moulin
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

MichelleM
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleM

I'm in!

Thanks Macbeth for bringing this to fruition! A wine for Easter sounds perfect!

I like Jenn's suggestion of doing both a red and a white.

We are not sophisticated here but are trying to expand our knowledge of the finer things in life. This was prompted by a dinner at a ***** restaurant with a business colleague of my husband. He definitely knew what he was doing while choosing & tasting the wine and quite frankly, I didn't. I felt a little foolish but (hopefully) managed to fake it by following his wife's cues.

Shortly after this experience I had to choose wine for a dinner club. I wondered around the liquor superstore for hours trying to choose an appropriate wine. Finally in desperation I confessed to a clerk that I knew NOTHING about wine and needed some direction. He helped me choose some inexpensive but popular wines that were a hit at the dinner.

I resolved to learn what I needed to know to become wine literate & so these dvd's are on loan from our library:
Introduction to Wine Tasting with Bob Betz
and
Jancis Robinson's Wine Course.

The first is a consise 1 hour introduction into "enjoying" wine. We have learned how to slurp and twirl our wine to appreciate the flavors and color. The kids think it is a hoot to listen to mommy slurping at the table!

The second seems to be much more in depth and 5 hours long! We haven't been inspired yet to watch this one.

My dh found this website when we needed to know what type of wine would go with chicken noodle soup. It was really helpful although we ended up drinking passing on the white we had chosen in favor of a delicious merlot that our guests brought.

Our nature blog: All of Creation
Back to Top View MichelleM's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleM

ElizLeone
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 10 2007 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote ElizLeone

Oh, Michelle, I am so excited to have the video and website recommendations! Perhaps there is hope for me to become wine literate! (I'm from the beer-drinking land of Wisconsin, you know. ).

And I think we'll have to add wine to the chicken noodle soup repertoire around here. Can't say I would have thought of it, had I not heard it here.

Munchkins on the Path
Our Adoption
Back to Top View ElizLeone's Profile Search for other posts by ElizLeone Visit ElizLeone's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

What about ordering something from an online store? That way, we could all get the very same thing. Ideas?

Red and white is fine with me (really, no rules here ).

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MacBeth wrote:
What about ordering something from an online store? That way, we could all get the very same thing. Ideas?

Red and white is fine with me (really, no rules here ).

Are there inexpensive online stores that someone can recommend? It's wonderful that we can finally do this, since in VA we weren't allowed to do mail order wine until the law was overturned.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

I wanted to make sure all you wine drinkers know about BOGO, the pro-life wine.. A part of the proceeds are dedicated to Adult Stem Cell research. I love the bottles!! Nope, I haven't tried them yet

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

MichelleM wrote:
This was prompted by a dinner at a ***** restaurant with a business colleague of my husband .

Oh...5-star resaurant . I was sitting here thinking what place name you would visit that could possibly need to be censored !!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
MichelleM wrote:
This was prompted by a dinner at a ***** restaurant with a business colleague of my husband .

Oh...5-star resaurant . I was sitting here thinking what place name you would visit that could possibly need to be censored !!

Oh, thanks for solving that one for me, too, Gwen! I was thinking the same thing!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MichelleM
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleM

JennGM wrote:
momwise wrote:
MichelleM wrote:

Oh, thanks for solving that one for me, too, Gwen! I was thinking the same thing!

My 9 year old daughter warned me that it looked like a bad word when I posted that. I should have heeded her warning!

Yes, I did mean 5-star not *****!

(I should also preview my posts after editing. I'm always embarrassed once I post and then find errors! )

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

momwise wrote:
I wanted to make sure all you wine drinkers know about BOGO, the pro-life wine.. A part of the proceeds are dedicated to Adult Stem Cell research. I love the bottles!! Nope, I haven't tried them yet

Thank you! I was trying to remember where I saw this. I'm up for it...hey and if you order soon they'll send you a free Jeff Cavins CD too! I vote for the Rosso.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

JennGM wrote:
momwise wrote:
MichelleM wrote:

I was thinking, Gee, maybe Iraq, and the gov't won't let her tell????

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

MicheleQ wrote:

Thank you! I was trying to remember where I saw this. I'm up for it...hey and if you order soon they'll send you a free Jeff Cavins CD too! I vote for the Rosso.

I just ordered the twin pack of Rosso to start...one for tasting, one for Easter . Is everyone OK with this? I it's not great, we'll go easy on them for being pro-life, right?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

MacBeth wrote:
I just ordered the twin pack of Rosso to start...one for tasting, one for Easter . Is everyone OK with this? If it's not great, we'll go easy on them for being pro-life, right?

Sounds good to me - I just ordered a twin pack.

MichelleM
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleM

I ordered my twin pack of Russo too! Great suggestion Gwen!

I have Aquinas Napa Valley 2005 Chardonnay in the fridge. Anyone up for trying this for a white? You can order it here for $8.50 a bottle.

The label says this, "Named for St. Thomas Aquinas, a revolutionary scholar in the 13th century who used the laws of science to support his belief in the Almighty...a smooth creamy finish, complimented by light tropical flavors and a touch of French Oak."

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

MichelleM wrote:
I have Aquinas Napa Valley 2005 Chardonnay in the fridge. Anyone up for trying this for a white? You can order it here for $8.50 a bottle.

The label says this, "Named for St. Thomas Aquinas, a revolutionary scholar in the 13th century who used the laws of science to support his belief in the Almighty...a smooth creamy finish, complimented by light tropical flavors and a touch of French Oak."

That sounds wonderful...I'm sure St. Thomas would approve. This is going to be the most Catholic wine tasting ever. We should publish an article.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version