Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Vitamins- what kind and why Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

What vitamins do you all take and why?

For those of you breastfeeding, do you continue with prenatals the whole time?

I have been taking Rainbow Light Complete Prenatals for years. I was just about to order some more when it occurred to me that there might be something better out there.

I honestly don't feel a difference between the times when I am faithful to taking them everyday and when I am not. Not quite the testimony I would hope to give about my vitamins.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

I am breastfeeding, and the only vitamins I take are my prenatals - made by Ethex - it's a prescription.

And don't feel so bad, I don't feel much different between taking them and not either!

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I take Shaklee Basics with Iron. I've been taking them for nearly 3 years now, and I do notice a difference when miss a few days, or if I try to go frugal and switch to just the Vitalea. It's the whole enchilada for me! LOL!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I take my prenatals, NF Formulas Prenatal Forte.. it is VERY close to the Rainbow Lights (6/day)..

Be very glad that you feel the same even when you're less faithful in taking them (if they're the same level as the rainbow light complete or the ones I take)... it means you're getting enough to have sufficient stores. (or particularly if you use a much lower dose vitamin.. it could mean that you never have enough even when taking them)

I took a much lower dose of vitamins from my first pregnancy, through #2 and #3, a miscarriage and partway into #4. After #3 if I did not take my vitamins I could feel myself sliding into postpartum drepression (quite a few vitamins have depression or symptoms of depression as symptoms of deficiency). By the time I was pregnant with #4, I simply could not make it through the day without about 2 hours in the afternoon where I was so tired that even if I couldn't nap I couldn't do more than try and stay away during that time.

We moved.. my new midwife recommended the Prenatal Forte, I got hold of a copy of Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Balch (excellent book, the 4th edition is out now).. and read about vitamins.. and within a week of taking the higher dose vitamins.. I not only stopped needing a nap.. but I didn't even feel tired during that time of day... HUGE difference between, having to park the kids in front of the tv and locking the doors so that they couldn't get out if I accidentally dozed off... and not even needing a significant rest during tha time.

I also now don't take them as faithfully as I might.. but I have built stores back up to where I can skip it some without feeling the deprivation.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

gwendyt
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote gwendyt

I second Shaklee vitamins - I definitely notice when I don't take them for a few days. I take Basics w/Iron like Lisbet and also keep Defend & Resist and Garlic on hand for fighting off stuff. Their new Nutriferon seems a good product - I've been taking it this winter and have yet to get sick!

Back to Top View gwendyt's Profile Search for other posts by gwendyt Visit gwendyt's Homepage

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Can I be a heretic and confess that I don't take any vitamins, apart from folic acid during the first trimester of pregnancy?

I try to eat a balanced diet with lots of fresh fruit and veg, nuts and seeds. My concern is that some of these vitamins have such massive doses that they could do more harm than good. And I don't know what the evidence base for them is. (Can you tell I'm married to a doctor?)

Anyone care to enlighten me? (Or ignore me, if I'm hijacking the thread, sorry Molly!)

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

The best source for explaining the levels of vitamins I've found in the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Balch.

My short take on it.. the RDA (recommended daily allowence) is the MINIMUM for preventing the DISEASE associated with the deficiency. Not the optimum for health. I can't tell you most of the info.. but the book also covers the maximum you should take, often says why, talks about symptoms of deficiency (without being so deficient as to get into the disease aspect) as well as when taking too much.

Also with modern commercial farming methods once the soils are depleted of nutrients only the ones that make the plants grow well are replensished and so you can get good food that simply doesn't have all the nutrients you would expect.. This is different if you're able to grow your own or purchase organic.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version