Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: lent and easter in the domestic church Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote mary

my liturgical notebook group is using lent and easter in the domestic church for lent. the book looks wonderful~ it has a cross made from symbols like a jesse tree, how to make stations of the cross grottos and several other activities listed below. we bought ours at the local catholic shop, but here's the code for a discount at adoremus books.

Pre-Lent Sale! Get Ready for Lent! We have many great items to get you through the Lenten season!

10% off All Items in the Store. Now through Ash Wednesday Febraury 21st.

Type in Discount Code Ash07 at Checkout
and Receive 10% off your Entire Order!

Also see our Google Checkout Promotion at the bottom of this Email!

Free Shipping on orders over $25.

Visit our website for these and other lenten favorites!

lent and easter in the domestic church
$15.95

This is an illustrated book full of wonderful activities for children and families to help better understand and celebrate the Lent and Easter seasons. This large size, spiral bound volume is the perfect book for families to learn together and share the traditions of this important time of the liturgical year.
Filled with a variety of family activities, saint's celebrations and crafts, this book has something for everyone in the family. Family activities include making of a Paschal Candle, special Stations of the Cross, a Family Altar, a Garden for Mary, the Seder Meal, activities, recipes for special homemade breads and more. Also included are stories of special saints for the season with activities and prayers. Finally, it offers numerous craft activities including cross stitching Guardian Angel patterns, making alms boxes, Easter eggs, Stained-glass pictures, table runners, and many coloring pages. It also includes a helpful index.

stations of the cross grotto kit
$45.00

Each kit contains everything your family will need to create their very own COMPLETE set of three-dimensional Stations of the Cross grottos, including semi-precious gemstones, pre-cut wooden sticks, and full color art work.

This kit is recommended for children age 10 and up... OR... for children 6 and up with close parental supervision and guidance.

What a great way to focus your family's thoughts during Holy Week!
Recommended for ages 10 and up.
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Can anyone compare this book with A Year With God? I have AYWG but don't use it as much as I intended. I am actually considering selling it. I am wondering if Lent and Easter in the Domestic Church would be more do-able for us.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Oh, and I am drooling over the Stations of the Cross Grotto kit! I think it would be an excellent way to focus on each station throughout Lent! Saving my pennies for that one!

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote mary

i have both. i rarely use AYWG, mostly i use it for coloring sheets, crossword puzzles, etc. something to stick into our liturgical year notebook. i like this book better because it's devoted to one season and the items appear to be simple enough for me to manage with 4 small children.

we haven't used this book yet, but here a more detailed look at the book. it's broken into 3 sections:
family activities
1. practice of lenten observations - explains fasting and good works\
2. family altar - what would be on the altar
3. shrove tuesday - recipes
4. lenten cross - symbols and reading for 40 days of lent. (this is my fav part of the book)
5. fasting with homemade bread - recipes
6. going to confession - examination of conscience, praryers
7. stations of the cross
8. seder meal - preparations, menu, prayers
9. light of the world: making a paschal candle - directions
10. a garden for mary - stories of flowers & mary, some flower suggestions.
11. pentecost - the red hot celebration - recipes

saints of the season
celebrating feast days - suggestions
saint patrick - story, games, recipes, prayers
saint joseph - life, recipes, prayers
annunciation - story, activities, prayers
saint george - life, recipes, prayers

crafts
making easter eggs - symbols, papier mache eggs, natural dyes, dipped eggs, tie dye eggs, masking tape eggs, resist eggs
pysanky eggs - how to
alms boxes - papier mache, mosaic, tin can
making banners - saints day, lent and easter, party banners
holy water fonts - whittling a sprinkler
shrines and stations - how to make the stations of the cross grottos. all the pics are included in the book, you just need the sticks and rocks.
guardian angel cross-stitch - directions and pattern included
stained glass pictures - directions and patterns

coloring pages
stations of the cross
15 more coloring pages

Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I echo Mary's review of AYWG. It's a lovely work. I just looked through the Lenten section and found it too piecemeal. I know the authors/publishers were really trying hard to find original ideas for their book, but I like some of the older traditions. The Domestic Church book is very good and balanced with spiritual background, overviews of Lent, programs for the entire Lent, and then specific feast ideas and crafts and coloring.

I also recommend two other homegrown books. These both are self-published plastic comb binding, but very well-written. They highlight many of the older traditions and family practices for Lent, with some newer twists and explanations.

Women for Faith and Family has Lent and Easter Sourcebook for Families.

Emmanuel Books sells Celebrating the Faith in the Home Series by Teresa Zepeda and Laurie Navar Gill.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thanks for the detailed information Mary. That really helps me make my decision.
Jenn, I hadn't seen the Women for Faith and Family web site. What a lot of great stuff there! Thanks so much!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version