Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Music at your wedding? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 5:23pm | IP Logged Quote doris

Following on from the wedding thread, here's another.

What music did you have at your wedding?

We had a very weird hymn. My fil sang Schubert's Ave Maria. I came in to Clarke's Trumpet Tune (with a trumpet in the trumpet loft thingy!) and we went out to Widor's Toccata. Those pieces still send shivers down my spine!

How about you?

mellyrose
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote mellyrose

I can't remember my processional or recessional, but a family friend sang "Ave Maria" during our presentation of roses to Mary, and my sister played "The Princess Theme" by John Williams from Star Wars on her flute during our candle lighting.

Melanie
Back to Top View mellyrose's Profile Search for other posts by mellyrose

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

We had the "Air" portion for Handel's Water Music Suite, J.S. Bach's Ave Maria (see selection 10 to listen ,) and Trumpet Voluntary (first selection- and good golly, I got goosebumps and tears listening to it    .)
This brings back such beautiful memories!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Ha ha, I really had an argument with my mom over our music! Her parents' next door neighbor, an Italian operatic singer, was the cantor for our wedding. (That was OK.)

We processed in to Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (yes, I know it is a Christmas song).

We had mostly traditional hymns for the Mass, because we had mostly Protestant guests and wanted them to be able to sing (so we did "Praise God, From Whom All Blessings Flow" and songs like that). My college roommate sang "Wherever You Go" at Communion time.

The big fight? Ave Maria. I am not making this up. Primo Pucinelli (the Italian neighbor) sang it after Holy Communion, while dh and I brought flowers to the Blessed Mother's statue and prayed for her blessings and guidance. My mom did NOT like this "hokey" idea at all. I put both feet down firmly and insisted.   (She's the patron saint of the parish we were married in, where I grew up and received First Reconciliation, First Holy Communion and Confirmation...how could we NOT?)

It seems so silly, now, that huge fight. I am glad I stuck to my guns, but I still have no idea why my mom objected.

There's a happy codicil...the year after dh and I were married, my parents went to Rome and were within touching distance of Pope John Paul II at an audience. My mom (who didn't like him, due to his conservative way of guiding the Church, prior to this visit to Rome) was stunned by the aura of holiness around him. She said it was so, so clear that he was a holy person...and she never said anything negative about him again.

So...when my kids want to have "Ave Maria" at their weddings, I imagine she'll sing along.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 8:34pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

We had traditional hymns and my aunt sang the Ave Maria which was beautiful. But my favourite hymn which my cousin (the organist) suggested was 'On this their Wedding Day' which I later sent to a dear friend whose son produced the wonderful Cantabile SingersCD set of traditional hymns and included 'my' hymn. I was so honoured. The tune is the same as "On this my First Communion Day' which my cousin played for my FHC day

Here are the words:

O Mary Mother Sweetest Best
See kneeling at your shrine,
Here these two who have loved you well,
Two faithful friends of Thine.
O,Mary, bless this happy pair;
Their joy and sorrow share.
Keep them loyal to their sacred vows
On this their wedding day.

They've promised faithfully today
To live as man and wife;
To love each oter, have and hold,
Throughout their married life.
When sorrow comes, when joy abounds,
In health and sickness too
Keep them loyal to their sacred vows
On this their wedding day.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I can't remember all the music we had. I know that Pachelbel's Canon was one of the preludes. During Ave Maria, we left flowers and said a prayer in front of an icon of the Blessed Mother.

But I clearly remember one modern song we had. It's called The Servant Song. When dh and I heard it during our engagement, we both knew we wanted it sung by the soloist at our wedding. Here are the words:

1. Will you let me be your servant?
Let me be as Christ to you.
Pray that I might have the grace
To let you be my servant, too.

2. We are pilgrims on a journey.
We are travelers on the road.
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load.

3. I will hold the Christ-light for you
In the night time of your fear.
I will hold my hand out to you;
Speak the peace you long to hear.

4. I will weep when you are weeping.
When you laugh, I'll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through.

5. When we sing to God in heaven,
We shall find such harmony
Born of all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony.

Simply said, I love this song, and think it's a perfect description of marriage. After many years of not hearing this song, I heard it sung during Mass at my parish twice recently. The first time was back when dh was away for his father's funeral. Hearing this song, particularly verse 4, under the circumstance of mourning the loss of his dad brought tears to my eyes.

The second time I heard it sung was a few weeks ago, with dh kneeling beside me after Communion. My tears flowed again, and I could tell dh was emotional too. I think the song simply represents our love for one another and continues to overwhelm us with the gift God has given us in our marriage.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version