Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Tznius skirt Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

I know there are other threads out there regarding what we wear, but I just had to tout this skirt. I ordered the Cotton Twill Wrap Skirt in dark brown. It shipped on Friday and arrived to my house in today's mail.

I'm 5'4" (okay, maybe more like 5'3-1/2") and am currently running around a size 18 - I've still got that baby weight hanging on. This skirt falls to the top of my feet (I'm not tripping on it when I walk) and totally fits around me. It has many different "holes" to insert the tie through ensuring that I can keep wearing this skirt as I lose the baby weight. And the feel - oh my goodness! What a soft fabric and so flowy I hardly even knew I was wearing a skirt!    I am SOOO going to buy this in all the other colors!

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Thanks for the tip! They have several beautiful skirts. Can't beat that $1.99 shipping either.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Cindy, I looked at that skirt the other day. Mine are begining to get pretty snug on me now at 8 weeks, is this something that would work throught pregnancy? Or would I look like a mobile tent?    It would be great to find something that would work before during and after pregnancy.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

And I worry about the length, I'm barely 5'2" will it just be too long? Thanks!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Lisa -

If you are wearing shoes it shouldn't be too long. It might be if you are going barefoot. The only trouble I have walking is when I'm going up stairs, and that's just because I'm not used to wearing long skirts . I've read that many people have worn this skirt throughout pregnancy. There's plenty of material to go around.

I don't know what your body looks like while pregnant, but I plan on wearing this as I lose the baby weight, and then on the next go round of pregnancy. HTH.

PS - I'm wearing it again today I'm loving it so much.

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy
Back to Top View Cindy Mac's Profile Search for other posts by Cindy Mac Visit Cindy Mac's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Lisa,
I'll try Cindy's skirt and give you a length check.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Thanks for all the info! Elizabeth, that would be great!

Cindy, it's great you've found one that works so well for you. Before you head up the stairs, bring you knee up to your hand and take hold of your skirt a bit, this will get you to the top with no foibles!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I have two of these....a denim and a black corduroy. The design is brilliant! My girlfriend who is 5'1" bought one and she hemmed it up. Did you see she has a couple of prints now? She has a hard time keeping these in stock, so when you see a color you like, don't hesitate, cuz it could be a year or so until she gets it in again, and they sell out fast!

I have 2 friends that wore these through about 7-8 months of preg. It's def. do-able, as Cindy said, there is LOTS of fabric and it would go aroudn the belly. but, I felt a bit "tenty" in it....it was just too much....but that's just my personal preference and my body shape. It definetely would work....it's just how you would like/dislike the look of it.

For those in warmer climates....try Modest World wrap skirt ....this one is the same design, lighter fabric....100% viscose.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Elizabeth -

We're on the same wave length - I was going to bring it over and let you try it on. Oh wait a minute, that means I'll have to take it off!

Lisa -

Great advice; stairs are MUCH easier now!

Suzanne -

Thanks for the tip on the Modest World wrap skirt. My husband is going to have a fit that I want to keep spending money

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

I do think you will need to hem the skirt if you're 5'2". I'm 5'4.5", and I do trip on it on the stairs at times. I don't trip on it otherwise though.

Years ago, Tznius did have a petite option, though I've not seen it in a long time.

The skirt can last you through pregnancy; I did it with our last baby.

What I am trying to do now is make similar skirts in more summery material, based on info in Sew What! Skirts book (there is a wrap skirt option, and it really seems quite easy). I am pretty sure someone on this board recommended it.

Unfortunately, I was shy a bit of fabric from what I had on hand; so, I'm going with an zippered a-line. Still, summer wraps are in my plans. I love these Tznius skirts, but the twill can be a bit heavy in the summer -- the denim is much more manageable.

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

WOO HOO!!! Hubby just gave me the go-ahead to buy more skirts!

As an aside, I asked him if he liked my new skirt, and he said I look like a nun! He followed that up with "well, it hides your really nice legs from anyone else looking at them". Is this a compliment?

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Cindy:
Woo-hoo is right!
These skirts are a bit more than I would normally spend for a skirt, but they are worth EVERY PENNY! Because you can wear them plus or minus probably 50+ lbs....you can do that with NO other skirt!   Very important during childbearing years.   You will be able to wear them until they wear out....YEARS. And, they are SO CLASSIC!

Alice R
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote Alice R

I have the skirt also and it is sweet!

I didn't have it when I was pregnant but I imagine you can use it for the first few months and it would be perfect for after the baby.

I'm 5'5" exactly and I think it is too long for me. I will sew it up when I get around to it. (yeah right)

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2007 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Cindy,

Thanks so much for the review. It looks gorgeous!! I LOVE the cut. I'm about 5'4 1/2" & my best skirt length is 34".

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

Yeah! Just ordered 2 more skirts - a navy and beige. Wish they had black.

In case anyone is interested, the skirt makes a lovely duster as you are sitting on your hardwood floor

Lisa- I took my skirt over to Elizabeth's today and reluctantly took it off so she could try it on. It would probably be a bit on the long side - Eliabeth was maybe going to try and email them to see if they will make it a couple inches shorter. Their customer service has been fabulous!

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Thanks so much Cindy. I ordered one Wednesday, and it arrived today. I really needed a skirt that would fit my growing midsection and I figured if it was too short I'd hem it. Well, I was really suprised that it's not too short at all! I did tie it above my baby buldge, so that offered me a little less length, and it falls just below my ankles! I will have to hem it after baby comes, since I'll wear it lower on my waist, I'll have my MIL do it while I nurse the bubba!

I also ordered the silk tiered skirt and I was suprised that it too was shorter than I expected it to be. It falls midcalf on me. Suddenly I'm feeling tall!

BTW, the wrap skirt is fabulous, it's very soft and I think it will work this summer even. It will definetly take to the end of my second trimester or so. It's a beautiful skirt. So beautiful that I ordered a denim one from Modest World too. (tax return, just in time for maternity clothes! ) I'm tryint to opt for skirts that will work after baby too, and so far I've done good!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

The black corduroy was the one in this post from a couple months ago.

You can sort of see how long it is....I'm 5'5".

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

That's funny Suzanne, because I did look at that pic to get an idea of length, I fully expected to have to hem it, since I'm just shy of 5'2", but it's perfect on me. Do you have one from Modest World? Is it the exact same skirt/maker? Or are there differences?

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12

Cindy Mac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2007 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Cindy Mac

I'm planning on getting some from Modest World on the next shopping spree. I'd love to hear about the skirts as well.

Kellys Klassroom Korner
St. Anne's Academy

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Lisa:
That's great that you didn't have to hem it.

Mine are from Tznius/Modest Clothing . It says on the website that it is 1 meter (39.5 in) in length. Mine are exactly 38.5 inches.

Modest World says theirs is 40" long.

My understanding is that they are exactly the same skirt with the exception of the fabric.

Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version