Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Migraine Headaches Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 02 2007 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some help or advice from anyone who suffers from migraine headaches. I have had eye checks, head scans - yes there is a brain in there to my dh's amazement.
I have used lavendar, pain relief, showers, ice-packs, hot-packs, camomile tea, massage from my very helpful dc's and lying down (only because when I get to this stage I can't remain standing). So I have tried quite a lot.
They could be hormone and stress related. It is also hard to pray during them but I do offer them up and hope that God can use my discomfort for his will.

I would love to know if anyone has some other ideas or ways in which they cope with headaches. I'm a bit uncomfortable posting this as I don't want to seem ungratful to God for suffering but it's my h'sing and dc's that miss out on mummy during these periods.

God Bless
Chem39

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Tami

I've had migraines for years - headaches since I was a pre-schooler, by adolescence they developed into full-blown migraines, complete with hours and hours of unremitting vomitting. Oh, and my mother has them, and my sister...

My first question would be can you identify the triggers? If not, I'd start a journal (I know, like you need one more thing to do ) but just a quick note or two on your calendar as to what happened before the onset. You mentioned stress - what do you do to combat it (meaning the stress) before it takes over? And hormones - does that mean the the migraines are predictable? Can you start your meds in advance - along with the other comfort measures you mentioned?

Are your meds OTC? Did you know that you can alternate Tylenol and ibuprofen every 2 hours, to keep the pain at bay? I even do this with my dc when fevers are running high. Can you drink caffeine? It really helps get the medication into your system faster, before the pain becomes crippling. I've had great success with it. Coke, the Elixer of Life!

I could go on and on, but don't want this post to get too long. I know others on the boards will have much to offer. I'm happy to chime in more, though. I've read and experienced so much with this...

And please don't feel bad about asking for help - Our Lord had help carrying His cross. And if your migraines abate (mine have, I can share about that another time), I somehow doubt that it will be the end of all suffering you can offer up to God. You have seven children, right?

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

I agree with Tami about finding your triggers.
Monthly cycle, too much caffiene, stress, and bright sunny days when I am inside--the light in the corner of my eyes can really get me going.
My sil had to watch food-red wine, freshly baked bread, aged cheese....

That said-with the beautiful sun streaming in the windsow and the calendar just right, think I will premedicate, just in case.

After I finish this first cup of coffee

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

My triggers appear to be yeast, cheese, lack of sleep, and the computer!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Sugar is a huge trigger for me (now. It wasn't when I was younger). As are my cycle and the weather. Red wine is an occasional trigger. Peanuts and cold cuts (nitrites) are not usually "triggers" for me, but I have noticed that when I consistenly cut them out, my cycle related migraines decrease. I have tried a variety of things. Prescription meds never worked, but Excedrin Migraine does, as does sleep (if I can manage to fall asleep at all). Showers and smells never remove the migraine, but do alleviate. I would journal if you don't know your triggers, and then try to eliminate common migraine causing foods from your diet to see if you improve.

I am of the opinion that crosses should be offered to Our Lord, but we should also do what we can to alleviate or eliminate them. God calls us to do what we can to care for our bodies in service of Him and of our families. There will always be an abundance of crosses in our lives, so we will have ample opportunity to offer things up in prayer and praise.

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

My triggers are strong smells (perfumes, pollution etc - but only if I'm really tired or they're really strong), fatigue, stress, humidity, sinus allergies.

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Worst triggers for me continue to be bright light, humidity, low blood sugar, lack of sleep and hormones. I've learned to avoid most food triggers. If you can lie down in a dark room, for even half an hour, that usually helps. Our 15yo ds gets migraines and he always gets relief by lying down in a darkened room, after taking Tylenol. I second alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen (quick release or gel versions work best and give faster relief). My sister's OB/GYN told her to use Benadryl when she is dealing with allergy related triggers, and that has helped her immensely. I do use Imitrex (prescription med), but very seldom need it since entering menopause (usually only when humidity is extremely high and unrelenting). Investigating your triggers and trying, as much as possible, to avoid them, is one of the best things you can do! As moms we still need to be available to our families.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Not only does caffiene help get pain meds into your system.. it can stop a migraine entirely on it's own. I get migraines if I have caffiene EXCEPT when I already have a migraine, and then the caffiene usually stops it dead in it's tracks.

If I get any other type of headache, sinus, tension.. the headache will trigger a migraine.. so I take plenty of vitamin C to keep hay fever type allergies at bay and try not to let stress settle in my shoulders and neck (causing a tension headache)

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote soodow

Since you've mentioned menopause and migraine I will jump in and ask... has anyone heard of beginning to have migraines at menopause???
I have 24/7 migraine symptoms/aura (pressure, dizzy, lightheaded etc) without the pain . The neurologist thinks it's hormones stuck in a "bad" place related to menopause Would love to find someone else who has/is experiencing this. I am doing plenty of research to see if it can be caused by something else... a daily prescription med did not help and I did not like being on it so discontinued.
God Bless,
Sue
Mom of 6
Back to Top View soodow's Profile Search for other posts by soodow

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Since some women get migraines only while pregnant, and my own 40 something sister is having an increase in migraines as she seems to be entering perimenopause, hormones would seem to be the culprit. I would have a good gynecologist help you deal with the menopause issues and imagine the migraines would be relieved as the menopause is dealt with.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

red raspberry LEAF either as tea or capsules.. helps normalize hormones.. it's possible it could help.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2007 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

soodow wrote:

I have 24/7 migraine symptoms/aura (pressure, dizzy, lightheaded etc) without the pain . The neurologist thinks it's hormones stuck in a "bad" place related to menopause ... I am doing plenty of research to see if it can be caused by something else...

This sounds more like sinus - have you considered that?

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 04 2007 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote soodow

Yes, Tami, I have been to my regular physisian, an ENT, and 2 neurologists. It has been a long 6 months and LOTS of appointments. I have had hearing tests, eye tests, MRI, work up on my heart (chest pressure..which I now believe is caused by muscles tightening beginning in my neck and radiating down as the pressure in my head gets worse, and an endoscopy. The 2nd opinion neurologist is the one who theorizes that this is hormone caused. The 1st said it was stress , as did the ENT and a couple of nurses who couldn't imagine having 6 children and being sane There were a few appointments that made me ! Talk about stress... I have an appointment with my GYN in april...
Sue

soodow
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 04 2007 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote soodow

Jodie, thanks for the tip..
Sue

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 04 2007 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

I went to an ENT. He suggested going in for a cat scan while I am having a migraine. If nothing showed up, he siad he would refer me to a neurologist.

What showed up was a deviated septum (crooked nostril divider). I had the septoplasty and hardly ever have migaines anymore!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2007 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Thank You everyone for your advice, testimonies and ideas. It seems I have similarities to almost everyone's situation. I am approaching 40 and think I maybe premenopausal although I hope not. I have rather bad allergies - hay fever and asthma that I need to take 3 different medications for. The really evil headaches started in my pregnancy with my 5th child, where my eyesight would be affected and I couldn’t see, then the pain would set in and that was it I was useless for the next 24 hrs. Since then they seem to come quite randomly except for the ones around my cycle.

I think a journal would be the best way to work it all out and I haven't ever thought of that before Tammi (good idea). I just seem to deal with them as they come. I have tried taking something as I feel them coming on but doesn’t seem to work. It is very hot over here at the moment so that could be a trigger. Keeping tension down would be nice but I find by the end of a school day that my shoulders are up near the roof. Doesn't sound good I know. I don't find schooling that relaxing at the present.
To combat stress I generally have a glass of wine (Which doesn’t give me a headache at all), or sit out and look at the view, say the rosary or pray for calm. It’s very hard to de stress as I find h/s and motherhood challenging.
Dark rooms don't seem to help although lying down is good. The only guarantee for relief is to take an analgesic which basically knocks me out but as a mother at home you can’t afford to be a zombie or worse - unconscious. Fluctuating between pain reliefs could be a wise option, if we have those brands here. Even if we haven’t we would have something similar.

Coffee is a beverage that I don’t drink to often as it can bring on a headache but I will give it a go if it has worked for you Jodie then it’s worth a try.

I find I have pressure in my head most of the time. So I am willing to try anything.

Thanks to all, it’s comforting to know that you can ask something personal here and get lots of great sincere responses to help.

God bless to you all
Chem39
P.S Tracy what a blessing that you found the cause and now are migraine free.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 05 2007 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Chem39 wrote:
Coffee is a beverage that I don’t drink to often as it can bring on a headache but I will give it a go if it has worked for you Jodie then it’s worth a try.

I think that this is why Excedrin Migraine works for me when prescription drugs failed. The Excedrin contains caffeine as well as aspirin and acetominophin. I've tried coke and a pain killer, but somehow I just can't get the proportions right.

I am praying that you find your triggers and more importantly, a solution to the migraines. It is so hard (impossible at times) to school the kids, cook dinner, or do anything at all in such pain. I am sorry.   

Zeliemum
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 4:20am | IP Logged Quote Zeliemum

Thank you Janette for your kind words of support and prayer - it is very comforting.

God bless to you and your family.
Chem.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 5:03am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Hi Chemai

Triggers is often the case here, I suffered from migraines as a child and teenager it wasn't till I changed my diet that they stopped.

We have just discovered Dominic's triggers too, the flavours in red foods, ie. tomato soups and baked beans. We already knew what colours caused his migraines but hadn't pin pointed the rest. Now we have

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

My triggers seem almost too simple, but for me its low blood pressure and dehydration. I never knew what a regular headache felt like until my first pregnancy b/c I was finally drinking enough water!

I also find if I take 2 ibuprophin as soon as I feel migrane symptoms coming on, I can nip it in the bud.

Good luck!!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version