Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: family bed plus one more Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kathleenmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote kathleenmom

What do you family bed veteran mommas do when new baby comes along and there is still a resident or two in the momma/dadda bed? We have had more than one in the bed with us before, but what do you do at the beginning? My husband usually abandons ship at the beginning when momma and baby are working out the kinks in the nighttime nursing routine. However, the other children's rooms are at near capacity (small house), and he doesn't really have anyplace to go and hide. He is also the 20 month old's cuddler and puts him down to sleep most nights.

Have you just brought the new baby into the bed with the existing occupants and has everyone acclimatized? I'm afraid that new baby is going to wake up 20 month old....or visa versa. Can you tell that I am late pregnancy obsessing about details ?

Kathleen

AMDG Academy
Back to Top View kathleenmom's Profile Search for other posts by kathleenmom Visit kathleenmom's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 1:38am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't make any effort to have quiet for any of my children to go to sleep.. so it would take more than a little fussing while I get new baby latched on to wake my older kids and babies seem to sleep through the others just fine too.

You can also put your bed into the corner so that you have one side along a wall and can safely put older kids in their corner and tiny baby in the middle.

Also, some kids do better to share with a sibling.. especially ones that like someone to cuddle with.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I agree with Jodie, my little guys sleep through noise (and my little "newborn light" - but all my little guys (born 8 or 9 lbs) are all good at getting down to business and sleep pretty well. My newborns only cry when I'm changing them and it's just a split second with those handy zipper sleepers.

And I should note that I'm not a purist with the family bed - so take or leave this advice!! Since our kids are pretty close in age, we do modified family bed because our toddlers start off in their own beds, but then end up in ours. (This morning all but one of us was in the bed and it's a Queen size!!)

To help me keep everybody in their "own space" in our bed, I have a co-sleeper next to my side of the bed -- pushing our bed against the wall would work too, but I don't like to be trapped! So the co-sleeper keeps the toddlers going to Daddy's side of the bed (which they usually do anyways). Then the "extra" guys go in the middle or Daddy holds him or another on his side -- while I keep the baby between me and the co-sleeper. The baby never makes it in co-sleeper, but I use it as a changing station and a security for "falling off the bed." Then to leave the middle of the bed open for the toddlers, I just learned to nurse both sides of me-- while just lying on my left side (I think a lot of moms do this).

A few weeks after #4 was born, we did have a few nights, where #3 was having trouble sleeping, but that was because of his own teething. So Daddy and #3 went to the couch on those nights because #3 was keeping Mommy awake .

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

This is when we upgraded to a King size bed... best investment of our lives!   

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

We currently have 3 in our bed, and my advise is alot like Jodie's. The baby always sleeps between me and the wall, toddlers between me and dh. Once baby is about 8-9 months old or so, after all the children are sleeping, dh and I snuggle up with one another until someone beckons me for a little nursing!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet