Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Writing Religious Program for teenager Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Dd13 is ready for the next step in learning her faith!! But I'm unsure how to proceed.

She is an avid reader and quite logical in her thinking. She has a deep faith and is ready to know more. I was thinking of her studying the catechism but am unsure how to go about doing that. I think she is also ready to move beyond the Ignatius saints books to the adult versions. I have thought of studying the Bible too but never having 'studied' the bible I wasn't too sure where to begin there also. Apologetics I thought we should leave till later when she knows the Bible better.

I would love some direction

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2007 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I am very happy with the Didache Series' Introduction to Catholicism. It's very teen-oriented (lots of "what would you do" scenarios) but totally based on the CCC and very, very orthodox. It comes with a workbook (good for review, but not necessary if you do the study questions at the end of the chapter). We are using this for 9th grade religion this year.

You might consider focusing on the Bible for the rest of this school year...my 9th grade Bible course included Genesis, Ecclesiastes, the 4 Gospels, Acts and some papal encyclicals. Very enlightening. Then, next year, you can add in another resource book or two.

Hope this helps a bit!

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote mariB

Erin,

We are reading How to be Happy How to be Holy by Fr. Paul O; Sullivan out loud.
It is incredible! It talks about the power of prayer,the Sign of the Cross, the Rosary,theMass, the Saints and a lot more. The book was first written in 1943 and I am enjoying it immensely.

Another great series is the Fr. John Laux series. We are reading Chief Truths of the Faith. That is a great way to study the Catechism.

Of course the Saint books. We just completed Saint Benedict by Windeatt.
That was incredible. It was a great hit in our house across the board!

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 3:03am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Maybe something like The Greatest Stories Ever Told you can buy it from St Benedict's Bookshop in Australia.

This book gives a very thorough examination of each of Our Lord's parables. We have often done one parable per Sunday on our way to Mass (1/2 hour drive) and the older children have gotten alot from it.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thank you very much for these suggestions I really appreciate them

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2007 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mari
I have been told that Fr Laux's books can be rather dry. Is this true?

I have to be honest and admit that we still have not done anything since I wrote Case of still not too sure what would fit dd.

And I am rethinking the apologetics angle as that may well appeal.

jennthmg
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 03 2007 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote jennthmg

Erin, Being a cradle Catholic, I'd never studied the bible before.
For my 11yr old last year, we used Jeff Cavins' Great Adventure alongside the OT readings suggested for RC History's CWH, Vol 1. This year, she and I are reading through Mark Schea's
You Can Understand the Bible together as we read the NT. I'm also reading Peter Kreeft's book recommended in the parent section of RC History. It has been a wonderful Bible Study for both of us.
In the highschool years, I intend on moving from Jeff Cavins into Scott Hahn's bible study.

I, too, am looking ahead and wondering what's next for the CCC that will continue to make things come alive for her (and had heard the same about Fr. Laux). I can handle the liturgical end with the resources available (just living the liturgical year, and studiing the Mass), but I'm unsure as to the CCC. So, along with my bible study suggestions, this is a bump to see if there are other suggestions.

Jenn
http://myhomeschool101.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View jennthmg's Profile Search for other posts by jennthmg

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 04 2007 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

We are using You Can Understand the Bible too (with a young 14 yr old), and I am very happy with it.

I expect a summary of each book of the bible (usually works out to 2 a week, which is often only 1/2 a chapter a week) along with a piece of copywork from each book. If you want to pm me, I can send you the list of copywork we have chosen.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version