Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Fruit Flies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I can't believe we have these in the middle of the winter, but we definitely do! They seem to be worse since I started using vinegar as a primary cleaner. I know I got rid of them before using apple cider vinegar and soap in a bowl, I think. But now I really don't remember exactly how it worked. Any suggestions for fruit fly elimination?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

I'm not sure Elizabeth. I haven't ever had a real problem with them.

Here is something I found...

My mother has been using apple cider vinegar to get rid of fruit flies for years! Take a small bowl and fill it part way with vinegar, than wrap it in plastic wrap. Poke a few pinholes in the plastic wrap, and the fruit flies will fly in, but can't fly out, so they drown in the vinegar! Place the bowl whereever you are seeing the fruit flies (like near the garbage, or the bananas).

mary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote mary

they may be hitching a ride on your bananas. i have a little jar and i put a piece of banana inside of it. then, i take a coffee filter and roll it up like a funnel (wide end and pointy end with very small hole.) tape it together. then put the filter funnel in the jar with the pointy end towards the banana. tape the sides to the jar. the flies will be drawn to the banana piece and enter the funnel, but unable to get out. you'll need to empty the jar before the fruit flies reproduce (unless you want to teach the fruit fly life cycle )

also, you might want to stop buying bananas for a bit. good luck!
Back to Top View mary's Profile Search for other posts by mary

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I thought I was having fruit flies, but the little critters were actually from my houseplants...so after removing the plants the flies disappeared.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Tami

What works best here is to eliminate their food source. I make sure all foods are off the counter or tightly sealed all the time - breads, etc., included. Fruit, obviously, is not left out until they're gone.

Oh, and sometimes they'll hang about in potted plants, once they've become accustomed to a food source in the kitchen. Just moving the plant to another room for short time, coupled with the food containment, usually works.

Of couse, you could pull out the microscope and make a morning of it! Sorting and classifying by eye color, body color etc. Drosophila melanogaster! One of my favorite memories from college.    

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

I second Jenn. My husband works in landscaping and often when plants come in for the winter, the little flies come with them. There is a safe spray you can apply to the tops of the soil (check with your garden center). Or just move them back outside if possible.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

WTOP's garden plot piece on Sunday was about fruit flies...maybe you can go to www.wtopnews.com and find it? (Sorry, I would do it but have to leave for the doctor in a moment!)

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Also, check your potatoes.

Mine have a tendency to have this problem.

Rachel
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

They are definitely fruit flies. And they like rags used to clean (vinegar is the cleaner of choice), the diaper pail (diapers are washed every other day and the diaper pail is sprayed with vinegar and tea tree oil), the kitchen sink...

I'm going to try the vinegar traps and then I will read the wtop piece. I love Mike Mcgrath.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

We had them a few weeks ago in our kitchen - drove me crazy. They came in on some organic onions and potatoes I believe. It took us a few days to eliminate them completely - and the kids trying to swat them drove me crazy too!! And the way they were hovering around us while we were eating. Anyway - this is what we did:

- switched from vinegar to a tea tree cleaner for surfaces
- put all potatoes and onions in the fridge
- emptied the fruit bowl - in particular the bananas -and kept all fruit in the fridge - till they were eliminated
- left no food lying around at all. Cleaned up spills and crumbs right away

Good luck!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Tami wrote:

Of couse, you could pull out the microscope and make a morning of it! Sorting and classifying by eye color, body color etc. Drosophila melanogaster! One of my favorite memories from college.    

Well, that's what I'd do .

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I figured that would be MacBeth's advice and somehow Tami doesn't surprise me either. My microscope is useless for something like this...

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

LOL, you could do a tie-in to Gregor Mendel and genetics...since they're breeding already...

(ducking)

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

OK MacBeth - I have come a long way on the bug front since I started homeschooling - still cannot pass myself off as a bug lover though

Not being over fond of bugs dates from my childhood - my parents worked in Southern Africa - and our house house was big and airy and let lots of wildlife in - lizards on ceilings, snakes (mambas ) in wastebaskets, black flies crawling all over, mosquitos galore (we slept under mosquito nets), bats on verandah, monkeys turning up in our dining room for breakfast, all sorts of exotic creepy crawlies all over.... not to mention marauding hippos and crocodiles....

You would think that I might have gone the other way and become a naturalist...

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

MarilynW wrote:
my parents worked in Southern Africa - and our house house was big and airy and let lots of wildlife in - lizards on ceilings, snakes (mambas ) in wastebaskets, black flies crawling all over, mosquitos galore (we slept under mosquito nets), bats on verandah, monkeys turning up in our dining room for breakfast, all sorts of exotic creepy crawlies all over.... not to mention marauding hippos and crocodiles....

You would think that I might have gone the other way and become a naturalist...

Sounds like a cross between heaven and Jumanji!!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I don't WANT to study them. I want to eradicate them. They are, in my mind, a testimony to poor housekeeping.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Elizabeth wrote:
I don't WANT to study them. I want to eradicate them. They are, in my mind, a testimony to poor housekeeping.

I forgot to mention - they LOVE red wine - we had a decanter on the countertop and several hundreds of them would hang about this hopefully!! So..got rid of the red wine too... (well my husband did anyway!!! - red wine is not too helpful for hyperemesis)

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Elizabeth wrote:
They are definitely fruit flies. And they like rags used to clean (vinegar is the cleaner of choice), the diaper pail (diapers are washed every other day and the diaper pail is sprayed with vinegar and tea tree oil), the kitchen sink...

I'm going to try the vinegar traps and then I will read the wtop piece. I love Mike Mcgrath.

Does the tea tree oil make the vinegar smell any nicer? I only use vinegar to clean my baking stones because I am not a fan of the smell. After your reading the favorite things post on your blog after your sweet Karoline was born, I added the already combined tea tree and lavendar essential oils to my basically unscented Shaklee Basic H. It is wonderful - thanks for the good idea!

Sorry to hijack, but what other essential oils do you (or anyone else) use?

Thanks!

Blessings,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I make traps with red wine in a narrow neck bottle.

We get our fruit from a natural food market, and they just seem to be inevitable.
Back to Top View sewcrazy's Profile Search for other posts by sewcrazy

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Elizabeth wrote:

You are not a poor housekeeper, Elizabeth. Think about it...all you need is two to produce thousands. Two can sneak in the house behind your back when you are not looking.     I felt the same way though about wanting to get rid of them when I had many "take over" my kitchen last summer.

I used to used vinegar to clean and now I think that might have been part of the problem. I understand that it can be used to kill them but I swear they are attracted to it.
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version