Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Need to be recalled to life... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I am so weary. I need to revamp school, the house, put Christmas decorations away, rethink preschool activities, prepare for Lent, clean up the yard after a major ice storm, get through the first trimester, wean the toddler, read aloud to my dear little guys, stock up again on groceries (which means leaving my house, I hate doing that), do several house projects....and the list goes on.

I feel so stretched with the wide range of children in my house. I can't do the "teen things" with my older guys all day as we have little ones all the way down to 2. I can't do the "little guys things" all day because I have the teens and preteens. Housework and meals are never ending, so time is limited due to responsibilities. Time goes by so fast and I mourn not being "there" for everyone as I used to be able to do when I only had 3 or 4. (We're expecting #8) Now I'm suffering Post-Christmas Chaos. Revamping feels like
Groundhog Day

How do you all do it? I feel so silly asking as I should know by now, but I keep finding myself back at square one revamping, reorganizing, making new chore charts, new meal schedules, new daily schedules, etc. Then, how do find time for everyone? I hate to think of children getting lost in the daily shuffle, but there are days that go by and my little guys just go off and play dolls all day long and I don't see them but at meal times.

I can't seem to keep all my balls in the air at once. So I guess all this jumbled post is asking is: How do you manage the different age groups? How do you snap yourself back into reality and get that Homeschool Newbie zealousy? When I first started hs, I read every book, listened to every tape, etc. Now, I try to pick one up, but it doesn't have that zing. What motivates you mid-homeschooling journey?

Help?

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Poor Maddie. Making a simple phone call can be daunting in the first trimester.

Pick a few mornings a week that you dedicate to the little ones and a few afternoons you dedicate to the bigger kids. Don't try to take care of everybody at the same time. Have really small goals. Like read two books and do a puzzle with the three year old.

Plan a day to do the shopping leaving the olders to babysit and don't try to get anything else done that day.

Have the older kids clean up the yard. Rest with your littlest one while directing the Christmas clean up. Promise money if you have to.

Just shoot for one ball in the air at a time. You'll get your energy up again soon, take it easy on yourself until then.    

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Cheryl M.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl M.

I say shut school down for one week....then pay your older boys to work for you - make a list and assign chores - there will be pay and rewards and bonus bucks if they work together without fussing. Stock up on groceries...I wish I could come help you. Prayers for you and a return of homeschooling zeal.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

For me it needs to be both doing more and doing less..

do more: stop letting things slide, make sure some things happen when they should but

do less: plan fewer things, slow down on the things you do (give them more time)..

like when I get impatient with reading outloud I hurry.. but the kids pay less attention and we get less.. but if I slow down and remember to put expression into my voice.. everyone pays more attention and we enjoy it.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Maddie,

I spent many a day playing with my dolls and seeing my Mom only at mealtimes. Really..if they need you they will get you. They are content and loved!!

I have one ds age 6 and our tree is still up! We need to shovel and my desk is a mess! I am a total slacker next to you.

My Mom wisely states to me all the time...when kids need you they find you...be home so they can find you!
Why don't you join us in the 54 day rosary novena which starts 1/24. If not for anything else than just God's peace for your heart.

I am motivated by making a list with dh of the number one thing(s) which are bothering me the most. Then we make a plan on how to alleviate or change what can be done. Example: tree and all Christmas boxes put away this week, ds working on time and taking a big math quiz to assess his needs for 1st grade and writing Christmas thank you notes.

I am struggling with being ill with some "mono" like illness since December so I feel very behind and disorganized. Keeping you in my prayers!

God bless,
Marybeth

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

With older dc, I'd be putting them to work for you. Anything that they CAN do, get their help on. I've only got three and a half at the moment (#4 is only half-"baked", so isn't much trouble, lol). I had my dds (6.5 and 4.5) help me take the ornaments off of the tree. My oldest helped with some of the lights. If it helps you to have the olders outside cleaning the yard mess up while you read a story to the littles, you are getting two "jobs" done at the same time. Depending on how big the job is, I'd spread it out over a few days, if need be. But if you have a set plan "ok, we'll get all of the broken limbs and such up and over here by 'X' today, then tomorrow, it's on to getting this broken 'y' trashed, etc".

As my Army NCO DH would say, it's all in the delegation. This is family maintenance, and the family needs to be involved.

Pull out your roaster or your crockpot, throw something easy in there (chicken and veggies, whatever floats your family's boat food wise). Then you've got dinner done.

((HUGS))

Having just left the first trimester behind a little while ago, I know how draining it can be. Blech. I had the hardest time yet this time, and not cause of the m/s. The unremitting fatigue was enough to take out a small elephant.

(((HUGS)))

Rachel
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version