Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: burnout Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LML22
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote LML22

I think I have burnout. I don't think its just homeschool burnout; but maybe large family with many small children burnout. I have read Elizabeth's article on it and its great. But some of those things seem such a struggle to do. Its so hard to get outside, exercise, organize, etc. Also, school is not going well and I don't feel like doing it. (neither do the kids) I am tired of checking their work, listening to them fuss about it, etc. We are doing a more text/workbook this year for various reasons. I would like to step back from it for a while (or maybe all together) but several things are keeping me from doing so. First, is the cost I put into it. I hate to waste money. Second, these feelings of mine and the children may blow over in a few weeks. (we were all satisfied with it before Christmas) I also don't want to get "behind" and be doing school work until June if we take a break. I tend to make them finish all the work if we use a curriculum.

Just life with many children--- the noise, the mess, the fighting is getting to me.
Back to Top View LML22's Profile Search for other posts by LML22

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Hugs to you!

I don't have an answer or good suggestion, but I heard this story on the radio this morning:

Depressed? Not Surprising. It's Blue Monday . January 22nd is the gloomiest day on the calendar.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Donna

JennGM wrote:
I don't have an answer or good suggestion, but I heard this story on the radio this morning: Depressed? Not Surprising. It's Blue Monday . January 22nd is the gloomiest day on the calendar.

I just heard this as well, and as soon as I heard it, I thought, "Of course it is the gloomiest day of the year..it's the anniversary of Roe v. Wade."

You are in my prayers for overcoming that feeling of burnout .

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Do you have the book Real Learning? There is a nice chapter in there about burnout that might be helpful. I was feeling very similiar to you not too long ago. I think it is just the grace of God that gets us through the difficult times. We did something that helped a little regarding schoolwork - we changed location. I know it sounds strange but moving from the classroom up to the dining room table and changing our schedule a litte gave me sort of a fresh outlook. I don't know if it did much for the kid's attitude, but you know what they say: "when mom's happy, everyone's happy" or something like that. I wish I had more to offer you. I will pray for you!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

When my mom felt that way she told all of us to stay upstairs- all day! We played boardgames, fought, and talked about how happy we were upstairs instead of getting yelled at or made to work. She called us down for dinner/supper and then back upstairs we went. We were told that we couldn't come down the next day until the upstairs was clean!

During that day she cleaned and recovered. We all appreciated each other a bit more the next day.

At other times when she was worn out from the fighting we kids would all have stay in different parts of the house with no contact with each other. She brought PBJ and water to each room for lunch. At first I was happy to be away from my horrible siblings but after a while (that night!) we all were ready to play together again. Mom explained that siblings were a privilege or gift from God and that we needed to appreciate that and treat each other right.

Maybe something like that would help? If you are not too far gone maybe a day from one of the two scenerios would help!

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

I feel the same way today. My Dad just came back from retreat and that sounds like exactly what I need. Just prayer and peace and quiet for a day or two. I obviously have no answers, but I will pray for you and all the moms out there who are feeling overwhelmed right now.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2007 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Nicole -- I love that idea.   Thanks!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2007 at 5:29am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Nicole

What a beautiful way to impress upon children that their siblings are a gift and privelge. I really love it. Thank you for sharing.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version