Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Home Comforts vs Martha Stewart Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I've heard a lot about Martha Stewart's Homekeeping Handbook and Home Comforts but can't get my hands on them through the library or bookstore. Could someone briefly describe either one or better yet compare them both?

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I have both and I like MS better; she seems to have a better way of describing things and the volume is definitely encyclopedic. HC is good too, but I just got the impression that there's a lot of yada-yada-yada to fill out the book (of course the author is an attorney and they're used to boilerplating things )

Anyway, if you could only buy one (both are good but there is much redundancy) I'd go with MS.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

i didn't know there was a ms book! i'll have to check it out. i have HC and really like it. it's very helpful and fun to read...just because. some of the things are a bit obsessive... not realistic with small children . but it's still great as a reference point.

but, now i'm curious....about ms...

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Washington Post had a review, comparing both.

I have both, owning Home Comforts first. I wrote a review of MS' book. I've now given a few copies of MS as gifts, and received rave reviews back.

I agree with Susan, Home Comforts seemed a bit obsessive. While enjoying to read it, I just come away with the question "when can I enjoy life when I'm doing all that upkeep?"

I expected MS to be obsessive, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a book to pick up for reference, a guide to help daily, weekly, monthly, seasonly. It's environmentally friendly and practical suggestions for cleaning, and then help on upkeep, decorating, and much more. And as usual, it's beautiful. Glossy pages, soothing colors, gorgeous pictures.

Costco had it for $25.

The lists at the beginning of the book for Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Seasonal tasks are good, and I'm trying to type them up and incorporate them into a plan.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I like MS' book better, reads more like Real Simple. (When Real Simple first came out I thought it was a Martha publication). More friendly to for visual people like me who like seeing pictures. (A bit of trivia: at least 6 people have left Real Simple to join Martha Stewart)

HC is a TOME, sorta like a reference book that I keep on hand for when I really need to read up on something. But not for quick advice. It's like MS' book is a cookbook, and HC is McGee's "On Food and Cooking" or The Oxford Companion to Food. One's what you use for practical everyday use, the other is an encyclopedia.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
I like MS' book better, reads more like Real Simple. (When Real Simple first came out I thought it was a Martha publication). More friendly to for visual people like me who like seeing pictures. (A bit of trivia: at least 6 people have left Real Simple to join Martha Stewart)

TOTALLY Off topic, but just a little rant.

I love Real Simple but I won't subscribe or buy on principle. Why? You'll think I'm a nut. Am I the only one that is bothered by the poor English Grammar in their title? Is it supposed to be "Real. Simple." or "Really Simple"?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Oh my goodness, Jenn.....you are NOT crazy. my mom and I ranted about this YEARS ago, and it is still one of the things that we LAUGH about when ranting about grammar! You are RIGHT, of course!!! not that I am a grammar snob for everyday things, but IT'S THE PUBLISHING WORLD...they are supposed to know this stuff!   

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

It bugged me, too (and I'm a big fan of "Real" ). The other thing that bugged me was the contradiction of buying (or worse subcribing to) yet another magazine when trying to simplify...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Martha

hmmm, I have to confess. I have never, ever, in all my life felt the slightest urge to guilt myself by buying such books. Guilt over buying it and then never reading or using it. It seems like most are so basic as to be useless to me or so OCD as to be impractical with a home that is actually LIVED in.

However, you ladies actually have me a bit curious about this Martha Stewart book. I like the idea of lists! I've also seen the home management books and been at a loss as to how to put in writing all that has become second nature to me over the years. Most of which I rarely think about as I do it.

Doesn't she have a similiar book for gardening too? Tells you what to plant when and how and lists things out as far as outdoor upkeep?? I would be VERY interested in that one.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 11:31am | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

I had to get Home Comforts out of my house because it caused too much guilt (and paranoia) around here. It is thorough, but I think, philosophically wrong. I think it tends to be overly obsessive - as mothers, especially homeschooling mothers, we don't have time to commit to keeping our homes operating room clean. Again, it is a good resource, but it puts house keeping as too high a priority (and I fairly obsessive about such things myself!).

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

One thing you need to understand about the woman who wrote HC -- this was her hobby. She researched and did housework as a HOBBY! She's a corporate lawyer, her husband does something big and I don't think there are kids at home.....that's why she's so obsessive.

MS takes it from the standpoint of making your home beautiful or making things last; HC takes it from the standpoint (in my opinion) of housework for housework's sake! Just differnt views....

But then I don't know how y'all do housekeeping notebooks or set-in-stone lesson plans....I much prefer flying by the seat of my pants somewhat and it all gets done....again, just different views of the same subject....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Okay -

I admit to having the same reaction as Elizabeth (both parts). You all have given me the courage to unmask the *silly* things I allow to take up time and space in my head!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I have both books. I have had HC for years and just received MS for Christmas as a gift. I do enjoy both, but if I had to choose I would choose MS. The only thing I enjoy reading in HC are the opening chapters about routines and housekeeping in general - the part where she talks about her grandmothers and how things used to be done. I love all that. I have never really used the rest of the book, I'm afraid to say! Like Jennifer said - way to obsessive. Too scientific! I cannot imagine trying to keep my house so clean.

I love the MS book so far. So visual and easy to read. Jenn, I am also using her schedules to make up my own! I think they are very efficient and do-able.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Bought HC to have in house for DD#3.
When a house keeping thing comes up, we read the section about the topic and follow through. Therefore some of the finer points are not missed and my way of doing things is not me being too demanding and I learn another way of doing things sometimes.
For example--sweater washing--I hate handwashing, they (Read here DD's) wash their sweaters far too often. My solution--they wash, hand wash, their own sweaters. As a result, they know the correct way not to destroy knitwear and the sweaters just are not in the laundry room as much.

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Elizabeth wrote:
It bugged me, too (and I'm a big fan of "Real" ). The other thing that bugged me was the contradiction of buying (or worse subcribing to) yet another magazine when trying to simplify...

That's why you check it out of the library! I had a 6-month free subscription (back in the day when every purchase at half.com meant a free subscription or two). I cancelled it right before I was charged. What bugged me more was the recommendations for REAL expensive stuff. How can I simplify my life if I buy $200 umbrellas and $400 coats? I think they got several letters about it too.

I also got the impression that Mendelsohn did housework as an end in itself. It RELAXED her. It relaxes me too, but there's a goal beyond that -- to spend time with the kids, hubby, to have a place that the whole family loves going home to. (Jenn et al aka grammar police :D, please forgive me, I'm tired of making sure my sentences don't end in prepositions ).

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

stefoodie wrote:
   (Jenn et al aka grammar police :D, please forgive me, I'm tired of making sure my sentences don't end in prepositions ).

no, no, no....not US!!!! The PUBLISHING WORLD, professionals in advertising and marketing....their editors are supposed to avoid ending sentences in prepositions! We are just having convos here or writing for fun or whatever......
But, there are SUPER BOWL commercials that have spelling errors!!!!!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I use HC as a reference book.
here are some of the things i have looked up in the past:

Researching mold (a big problem here in the NW)...chapter on "air in your castle"

Compositions of diff't types of wood floors and upkeep

Cleaning ceramic tiles

The whole section on "cloth" is good. 15 chapters on textiles and laundering.   I like the sections on the description of the difft textiles and fabrics

Question about pipes and drains

The proper way to "break in" a book. (my dad was big on this and i wanted to see if she agreed with him )

How to repair an antique book

Electrical safety

Looking up disposal of hazardous substance

Looking for Ideas about using rags and aprons

Chemistry of household cleaners section is good. ie; looking up cleaners: is it an acid or alkali? for a possible cleaning solution if OTC areen't workign.

Best way to store a certain produce to make it last longer.

doris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2007 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote doris

stefoodie wrote:
    (Jenn et al aka grammar police :D, please forgive me, I'm tired of making sure my sentences don't end in prepositions ).

Did you know that Winston Churchill got so fed up with his secretary correcting his prepositions in his dictated letters that he returned her typing to her, with the commentary, 'This is the sort of thing up with which I will not put!' So you're in good company.

ETA -- I've been disabused. To my great disappointment, apparently it wasn't Churchill. If anyone is as weird as me (I!) there are more details here

Sorry, completely and utterly OT. Think I need to go to bed...

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2007 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Thank you everybody for your insightful review! I think I"ll go ahead and get MS's book. It sounds like it suits my needs better.

ChristinaK
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 25 2007 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote ChristinaK

I am severly domestically challenged and am constantly trying to improve. I borrowed the Home Comforts book from the library. I think I read about 40 pages before I had a meltdown and had to quit reading it. There was just no way that I was ever going to be willing or able to do all the stuff that she listed and she really did strike me as obsessive. I ordered the Martha Stewart book after reading Jenn's review on her blog and it has been useful to me. I've already learned several things that I didn't know. My mother tried to teach me cleaning stuff but I was very stubborn and resistant and I am paying for it now! I've not made it all the way through the Martha book but one of my goals for this year is to really improve my housekeeping and the Martha book is main resource for help in that area.
Back to Top View ChristinaK's Profile Search for other posts by ChristinaK Visit ChristinaK's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version