Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Raspberry Tea? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 27 2006 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

I was inspired by Kim's mention of Raspberry tea on her post. And then I saw Elizabeth bought a bunch of stuff to make her own.

But I'm really too tired to take on any big endeavor like that (making my own tea) right now (32 weeks and counting!). I just want to go to the store, buy some, and be done.

My question: Do I just drink a few cups a day? Is the Celestial Seasonings Raspberry zinger enough (I'm guessing no)? Where do I buy Raspberry Tea, anyway? Favorite brands? Do you drink it "plain" or flavor it with milk/sugar/honey?

Like I always say...it's these simple things that seem to get me everytime!

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2006 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

It is the Red Raspberry Leaf tea that is helpful for uterine muscles during pregnancy. Raspberry Zinger does contains some raspberry leaves but not in a very large quantity. The Zinger is mainly a raspberry flavored tea, not a pure red raspberry leaf herb tea.

You can buy the herbal variety at Wild Oats, Mustard Seed or even (locally) at Nature's Bin. I know many places online sell it if you don't want to venture out.

I drank one cup during the first trimester, two in the second and three in the third though, IMHO, it was barely palatable by the last three months. I have also heard warnings not to drink it in the last trimester until you are close to your due date.

Maybe Elizabeth or Kim might know more about that though...

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote Kim F

I use the capsules. They are easy to find and use and then there are no worries about the tea being exposed to air and therefore less potent. (that happened to me after one pg) It is the leaf you want as opposed to the flavored tea. You can add flavored tea to it if you like the way it tastes though.

I don't begin the tea til the last month. However while I have heard it is toning and can strengthen contrax I have also heard that it relaxes the uterus, which is what it does for me. It totally calms my Braxton Hicks problem and takes the pain away. (after pains too) So I can't say if waiting that long is really necessary. Rebecca's plan of one cup a day til late pg is pretty standard advice. By the last 3 wks I increase that to a few capsules a day.

Kim

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I have always enjoyed RRL, even between pregnancies. I particulary enjoy it iced.    I make a quart in the morning during the summer/second trimester on, and it's gone by the end of the day. During the winter it's great hot and steamy with a touch of honey or brown sugar. CiCi, if you buy it loose (which is how I prefer it) It's really easy to make your own cuppa using one of these: IngenuiTEA teapot It makes one yummy cup at a time, and you can add whatever other teas you may like. (red clover, nettles, peppermint, borage, etc...)

I am begining to wonder about using it in the early weeks though, esp. with my history of miscarriage. Anyone have any good/bad experience or any advice?

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote Cici

Rebecca - thanks for the warning. My labors are usually (well, both of them so far) FAST. 2 hrs or so and then 15 minutes of pushing and voila! Baby arrives. So I'm somewhat hesitant about helping things along too too much.

Kim - where do you buy the capsules? Health food stores? Do they typically come in one particular dosage? If I start planning/shopping now I might actually make it to the store in time to start by early February (have I ever mentioned how much I dislike going to ANY stores?).

Rebecca/Lisbet/Kim/Elizabeth - what's your favortie online health food/supplement store?

Thanks,
Christine

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Christine

I drink Traditional Medicinal's Pregnancy Tea throughout most of my pregnancy. During my third trimester, I alternate between their Pregnancy Tea and their Red Raspberry Leaf Tea.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Kim F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote Kim F

I usually shop locally but I used Viable Herbal Solutions online during my pg 2 yrs ago. They shipped fast and weren't too $$. The capsules I have at the moment are from Nature's Gate (or is it Natures Way? the ones with the white bottles and green leaf on them) and cost about $9 for 100. For some odd reason our hfs doesnt stock much boxed tea.

Most of my labors have been pretty quick but intense. The rasp has helped with the pain a LOT. This last labor sorta poked along but the whole dialation was very tolerable.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Kim F wrote:
I usually shop locally but I used Viable Herbal Solutions online during my pg 2 yrs ago. They shipped fast and weren't too $$. The capsules I have at the moment are from Nature's Gate (or is it Natures Way? the ones with the white bottles and green leaf on them) and cost about $9 for 100. For some odd reason our hfs doesnt stock much boxed tea.

Is this them? I use these and I agree that the capsules are better. Personally I am not fond of the rrl tea and the capsules make it easier to make sure I get it in, plus I too think the potency is more reliable. FYI, I take them with really warm water because otherwise they feel like they get "stuck".    They run about $5 for 100 here but I would pay more because they are worth it!

Quote:
Most of my labors have been pretty quick but intense. The rasp has helped with the pain a LOT. This last labor sorta poked along but the whole dialation was very tolerable.

My last 2 have been quick and intense with this last being the fastest and most intense (I went from 4 cm. to 10 cm in 3 contractions. ) I did take the rrl before and during labor so I can't think it helped with the pain for me but it has really helped with recovery and the nurses were all quite impressed with how firm my uterus was so quickly after birth.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

What about taking prenatal vitamins containing raspberry leaf (such as Rainbow Light) if you have a history of miscarriage? My doctor just gave me a perscription for some prenatals today, but they're full of articial dyes, which I really want to stay away from. I was reading the vitamin thread and checked out Rainbow Light, but... I'm still a little uneasy about raspberry leaf in early pregnancy, but I am hoping for a VBAC after 2 C-sections. I'm not sure how the amounts in the prenatals compare with the amounts in the capsules or tea?   

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Angel wrote:
What about taking prenatal vitamins containing raspberry leaf (such as Rainbow Light) if you have a history of miscarriage? I'm not sure how the amounts in the prenatals compare with the amounts in the capsules or tea?

I'm not sure either but I did take the Rainbow Light prenatals through my entire pregnancy and it wasn't a problem. My doctors/midwives were fine with me taking them. I really don't see how they could be dangerous to use in pregnancy since they are sold as prenatal vitamins.

Congrats Angela!

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Angel wrote:
What about taking prenatal vitamins containing raspberry leaf (such as Rainbow Light) if you have a history of miscarriage? My doctor just gave me a perscription for some prenatals today, but they're full of articial dyes, which I really want to stay away from. I was reading the vitamin thread and checked out Rainbow Light, but... I'm still a little uneasy about raspberry leaf in early pregnancy, but I am hoping for a VBAC after 2 C-sections. I'm not sure how the amounts in the prenatals compare with the amounts in the capsules or tea?   

--Angela
Three Plus Two

Shonda Parker addresses Raspberry Leaf in early pregnancy in her book. I can't type it all right now, but perhaps someone with the book can give a narration. I'm pretty sure it's in the pregnancy book. I did a check of her website (and used up all my online time)and didn't find it there, but I know she addresses it in the book.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 29 2006 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Elizabeth wrote:
Shonda Parker addresses Raspberry Leaf in early pregnancy in her book. I can't type it all right now, but perhaps someone with the book can give a narration. I'm pretty sure it's in the pregnancy book. I did a check of her website (and used up all my online time)and didn't find it there, but I know she addresses it in the book.

I don't have the pregnancy book but I see she addresses it in Naturally Healthy Woman. She says that "Red raspberry has a long use in pregnancy for morning sickness, uterine irritability, and threatened miscarriage. Standard dosage: 2 capsules 3 times daily."

But she has a note of caution about some speculation between different varieties of red raspberry. Some feel that the cultivated variety, Rubus idaeus, may be a danger to pregnant women because of the caffeic acid. Therefore the wild variety, Rubus stringosus, is often advocated as an alternative. But she points out that the research on this is not there and she feels the need to defend the use of R. idaeus. She writes, "It is found in almost all herbal combinations, and as a single herb, in liquid or capsule form. It stands to reason that we would see a great increase in miscarriages among women using red raspberry during pregnancy if R. idaeus is indeed a problem."

She does say that perhaps if a woman is prone to miscarriage she may not want to use it, just to be sure - though she does mention a doctor in Oregon who has a prenatal formula with R. idaeus in. He does not feel it constitutes much of a concern and Shonda thinks this is significant given that he has written several books on herb toxicity.

All that being said I have NO IDEA what variety the prenatals have or the capsules I use. I checked and neither says anything other than red raspberry leaf but since Shonda says the R. stringosus can be hard to find, I would suspect it's R. idaeus.

In any case she does say that R. idaeus would certainly be safe to take after 16 weeks when hCG levels have stabilized.

I hope this is helpful and hasn't confused you even more.

God bless!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version