Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Antibiotics and ... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 27 2006 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I just got out of the hospital 1 week ago after spending 10 days there because of pneumonia. I had 3 xrays taken and have been taking major antibiotics until yesterday. I hope that I am finished with all the antibiotics, but will definitely be having another x-ray in the first week of January. We have been abstaining this entire month because I was just feeling lousy and then because of all the drugs.

My question is how long does such a therapy effect your system as to have a negative impact on an embryo???? I mean, we have been praying for a child for more than a year, so it is not likely that I would get pregnant now, but it is also not impossible.

Thanks!

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2006 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Stephanie,
I am so sorry that you had to spend all that time in the hospital and were so sick! I am so glad to hear that you are doing better.
I see you are in Germany. Is there a pharmacist you can call? They would be the most knowledgeable, as to how long your medication stays in the body. If you were in the States, I would say, call Walgreens or wherever. Not sure there?
You mention a repeat x-ray? I would try to wait until that, definitely, to conceive.
God Bless you! You sound like you've been through a lot!

Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2006 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Thanks Stacy! It looks like I have to start a new round of antibiotics this evening My lungs are not yet healthy, so we will just have to be patient.

Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Stephanie,

I wish you a speedy recovery - this happened to me coupled with plureisy, two years ago, tomorrow - it is an terrible thing.

I am very alternative with my health, so I don't like antibiotics but naturally due to the severity, I had no choice but I read recently (and I have always believed it) that situtations such as this is precisely the time that antibiotics are heaven-sent.

Still, they effect our bodies that can take time to recover, I understand your concerns with possibly conceiving. If you are open to alternative care, maybe a visit to a herbalist/natropath who can help heal the lungs with good herbs, put you on a good pro-biotic to clean up the gut and maybe something to support your adrenals? Adrenals can really get knocked around with this disease and you can suffer excessive fatigue/weekness that can seem endless (my experience, I couldn't function properly for a month.)

This sort of alternative treatment can also be seen as good pre-conception care too, but as Stacy said an x-ray would not be adviseable if you thought you could be pregnant.

All the very best!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2007 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

The last x-ray is now in my past - everything looks much better in my lungs and I do NOT have to continue antibiotics!
It is now 2 weeks since I left the hospital and I am feeling stronger. School begins on the 8th and that is when 'normal' life sets in. No dh at home to help care for home and child, and also no car available most of the time. I do have help, so it is not such a sudden load to carry, but I do know that I have to manage my time and strength carefully so as not to overdue it.
Dear Anne, you may think I am totally stupid, but I don't even know what adrenals are!!!! I also don't know the german word for it, so maybe I am not so stupid and do know what it is in german only?!?!

How long did you need to fully recover?

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2007 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Stephanie,

I just checked my online dictonary - Nebennieren! - (now I hope that's right ) - I read once that many a person who has died from pneumonia, could have lived if they had been given cortisol during the crisis - cortisol is produced by the adrenals - I was a weak little kitten for months and then I found a new doctor who ran a 24hour test on my adrenals and they were under functioning and exhausted - I also read recently that it can take quite a bit of time (couple of years) to get them back to par - so my doctor has had me on a ginseng formula to help nourish and restore them.

My case was different though, I had pluerisy as well and I was in hospital for 3 days before they stumbled upon what I had! (not joking - in fact after they ruled out blood clots, I told them that my girlfriend's husband had had the same thing and that it was a virus going around - I was on continual morphine at this stage - but the doctor did not think so, he thought I had pulled a muscle, breastfeeding )   Originally they were convinced that I had a blood clot to the lungs so they gave my poor lungs a blast of nuclear radiation BEFORE a simple chest x-ray! - I have a non-functioning thyroid so adrenal weakness is not surprising.

Still I understand that all adrenals are effected by the disease...

St.Ann wrote:
How long did you need to fully recover?

It can take a long time to feel completely 100%.   To function adequately for the family and return to normal life, it may not take too long. Mine became complicated as I backed into a massive thyroid collapse which I contribute to the nuclear radiation scan - I personally think I have not completely recovered but all those other factors are added to it.

Yet one of my girlfriend's husbands had exactly the same thing as me, with the same bumbling complications (he went to the same hospital) and they thought he was having a heart attack, so they gave him very invasive tests, CAT scans you name it! he ended up checking himself out (as sick as he was) and going to another hospital that discovered his true condition immediately...but this man was back to work very quickly after work and he told me he felt normal...so everyone is different.

Still my advice would be plenty of rest and nutritional support being very important. I am so pleased to hear no more antibiotics are needed and that you are feeling stronger - just pace yourself with that strength and I am sure you will make a beautiful recovery.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2007 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I had pneumonia with pleurisy, too! But it was my sophomore year in college. It took me quite a long time to recover, and I know no one looked at my adrenal function! It took quite some time for them to even figure out I had pneumonia (only the x-ray showed it.)

The most I can offer is to make sure you are eating really healthy and get all the sleep you need (or can get with dc - hopefully yours are "sleeper!")

I will pray that your recovery is fast and complete!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Thank you both Stacy and Anne!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version