Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: March for Life? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 12:08am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Has anyone ever taken their entire family to the March for Life in DC? It would be a 7-8 hr drive for us. Is it unrealistic to imagine my preschooler and toddler there all day? Is it a lot of walking and is it going to seem like hours of standing around to the little children? I just don't know what to expect and if we go, I'd like to make sure it will be a positive experience. If its not "littles" appropriate, I might just send dh with the older children.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 12:32am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I bring the entire family except for very young babies. I just keep toddlers in the stroller the entire time for safety. Now we live a little over an hour away from DC, so it would be a much bigger effort to bring the whole family from so many hours away.

There is a lot of standing during the rally at the beginning. Last year we were with our pastor for quite a lot of the way. He was joking with the girls about how it should be called the "Stand for Life", then the "Slowly Inching Forward for Life", then finally the "March for Life."    I'd recommend bringing snacks for the standing around time if you go.

I just talked with dh earlier tonight about whether he thought I should pass this year since our baby will be only 3 months old. He agreed that I should stay home with her if it is typical January weather.

Of course, if we keep having these 60 degree days, our entire family will be there once again.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

We've gone several times and loved it. We took my dd when she was just 6 months. It was no problem at all since she was very content to be in the backpack most of the time. We took a large wagon for my 5yo and it was great because there was lots of extra room for people in the march to pile their extra signs, coats (it was unseasonably warm that year) etc. I have to admit we have not been back since the other two have been born. We're hoping to get there soon though.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 6:04am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Books,
one other thing. As far as the littles go there are usually people there with some graphic signs. I don't know how you feel about these but I just thought you should be forwarned. My dc never even noticed them, or if they did they had no clue what it was. My 13 yo would definitely notice now, but I believe he is old enough to understand. Just thought I'd let you know as this can be hard for some people. Really though, that is the only thing, besides dealing with the weather and making sure all your kiddos are right there with you, that I would see as a possible problem. Often the pro-choice people have a rally at the same time but it is rather insignificant and I've never even noticed they were there. What your kids will probably notice are the thousands of pro-lifers praying, singing patriotic songs and in general being very upbeat - a group anyone would want to be a part of! And during the actual march when you can see all the people in front of you and all those behind it is really amazing! Can you tell I love the march?!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Thank you all. I appreciate the head's up on what its like. I will ask dh about it, now that I have more information,and see what he thinks.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version