Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: UPDATED! Making a sling Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 14 2006 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Jenn wants to make a sling like the one I made recently so I'm starting a thread here to walk her through it.

First things first, gather your materials.

You will need at least 2 (preferably 2 1/2) yards of fabric for the main body of the sling. Don't choose anything too thick but also not too light. You want to be sure it has some strength to it. If you want to line the sling you'll need another 1 1/2 yds. of fabric. If you like the satin brocade JoAnn Fabrics has it half off right now.

The rings: I use nylon rings from Sling Rings.com but I am sure you can find them elsewhere online too. The size I used for my sling was medium (2 5/8" in diameter .4" thick).

The only other things you need are a sewing machine and thread. Tip: Don't use cheap thread - it breaks. Personally I prefer Gutterman.

OK let me know when you are ready to begin.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2006 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'll just mention Solar*veil material as an option. My single layer sling made of this material has worn like iron. (I haven't purchased the material from the site linked, just saw that they sold it by the yard and they have a link that explains what solarveil is.)

Thanks so much for walking us through this, Michelle!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

I can go to the fabric store tomorrow. Michele, you are so sweet to offer to do this! And with a baby that is just one week old--amazing!

Can't wait to get started. This will be my first big sewing project besides the one I did in my beginner's sewing class last spring!    Can you hear me saying to myself, "I think I can." "I think I can.".....

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Michelle that sling is gorgeous! Of course, little Maria is the frosting on the cake...

Take this idea with a grain of salt as my baby will be twelve next week but when she was little I tied her to me in all sorts of different ways with a sarong I'd picked up in Hawaii. I'd never in my life seen a store bought sling until a couple of years ago! But this site has pretty clear instructions for many different ways to tie a sling if you cannot find Sling Rings.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

I am in love with both Maria and that sling. You are too much, Michele! I am in awe!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to go through the process and make another sling.

I will take pictures and add instructions as I go along and then put it on my blog as a tutorial. It will have its own permanent page and be accessible to all. Of course you can ask questions at any time but this way everyone can go at their own pace. Since I can make a sling in an afternoon it shouldn't take long but oh yeah it's Christmas soon so it might be a little while yet as I have some gifts to finish for my girls.

God bless,

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2006 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Michele,
Husband took yesturday off and I had a midwife appointment. Here I am catching up. So thankful that you have started this! I don't know how you do it, but thank you for sharing such an amazing talent with all of us.

Since I'm not sure when I can get the material, I may need to catch up. I will attempt this week, since husband took it off !

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

My sewing machine thanks you too!

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Oh, Michele! Alright if I sew along? I need a prettier sling. You know, I have to MATCH!   

I'll try to keep up and post pictures on my blog too. Oh, I adore that brocade - we bought fat quarters last year and made a quilt for Sophie.

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2006 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

nissag wrote:
Oh, Michele! Alright if I sew along? I need a prettier sling. You know, I have to MATCH!   

I'll try to keep up and post pictures on my blog too.

Absolutely Nissa!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2007 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

OK, so is everyone ready to go?

I'm washing my sling fabric this afternoon and time allowing will start on my sling later today. I plan to take lots of pictures and post a tutorial page on my sewing site. In the meantime if you have any questions just ask.

OR if you already started (or finished) tell us about it!

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

I'm nearly ready - can't wait to get out to the fabric store and pick up something to make the new sling from. I thought I might pinch some from my stash, but I decided against it - I'd have to sacrifice a skirt for Catherine and a pair of jammie bottoms for William.

That could endanger my well-being! ;-)

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2007 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Hi Michele!

I couldn't decide on what kind of fabric to use--but I plan on just going to the fabric store today and getting something--so I should be ready tomorrow!! I am excited to start!!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Yikes! I forgot it was Wednesday (I am completely off on days with the holidays!) and that means I have RCIA business I need to attend to so I'm not going to be able to get started on the sling until tomorrow.

If you got your fabric yesterday be sure and wash it. Trust me you don't want to skip this step. A sling will most likely need to get washed and you don't want it to shrink AFTER you have made it. Wash and dry the fabric just like you would the sling.

I'll be posting and updating here (this isn't a blog post page it's actually a separate, permanent page that I'll link to from the main blog page) and of course posting and updating here on this forum (but without pictures...they'll be on the tutorial page).

See you tommorrow!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Once you have chosen your fabric be sure and wash it. Trust me you don't want to skip this step. A sling will most likely need to get washed and you don't want it to shrink AFTER you have made it. Wash and dry the fabric just like you will the sling. Once you have washed your fabric you may want to iron it. Be sure to use a press cloth or iron on the underside of the brocade.

I'm using a maroon poly silky (lightweight but strong) for the main body of the sling and a pale pink satin brocade for the lining.

Next, decide on how wide you want your sling to be. I prefer 30 inches but you can certainly go larger or smaller (for safety's sake, I do not recommend going smaller than 25 inches wide).

You can use the selvages of the fabric if you'd like but I prefer not to, especially for a lined sling because the selvage edge can pull and distort things.

To get a clean cut I fold the fabric over and use a rotary cutter. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be perfectly straight but do try to cut it on grain as it will give you a smoother fit when you cinch up the sling later.

More to come - stay tuned. . .

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

My apologies for being so slow on this. It's a busy week for me. Maria's baptism is this Sunday and I am still playing catch up with business and RCIA stuff from last month. Next week looks to be less busy so I will get back to it then. I hope that's OK. Do let me know you're progress!

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Michele, I just love that you're doing this!! I found a whole box of leftover baby fabric in my basement (pretty big pieces) last weekend and am planning to see if I can't get my hands on some rings after my dr. apptmt. tomorrow. If this baby's going to take it's time getting here, I might as well try to make a sling for him or her!

I've never had a sling before, not with any of my babies, but I hear it's wonderful and I'm ready to give it a try...

Thank you in advance for the photos. They are soooo helpful for us beginners!!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I'm sorry this is taking so long to get to but believe it or not I'm waiting for sunshine! My camera takes MUCH better pictures when it's sunny and it's been terribly dreary lately. Yesterday we had sun but it was Wednesday - my RCIA day so I had no time to sew.

If anyone is needing help please let me know. We'll get this done eventually.

God bless,

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2007 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Michele,
I haven't ordered my rings yet--so there is no hurry on my acct. I ended up ordering a OTSBH sling online since the baby could be here anytime...I still hope to join in and make my own, though!   

Let the Little Ones Come

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2007 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

It's done!

Sorry it took me so long.

You can see the tutorial at:
http://family-centered.com/needleworks/?page_id=154

AND

As a bonus, if you leave me a comment you get a chance to win this sling!

Thursday March 15th I will draw a name from all those who leave a comment and the winner gets the sling. I'll package it up and mail it to you for free!

Just to be clear, it's not perfect (I don't do perfect) but hey it's free!

Also if you see any obvious typos or something really isn't clear please say so. I was up until 2 am last night with a happy but very wide awake baby.

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2007 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Okay, confession here...I never got around to making my sling. Before I get started on one, I want to make sure I can still USE one.

Since I've never had one before, what I'm wondering is, how big are the babies when it's time to put away the sling? How much weight does a sling hold? My little guy is only 7 weeks and already weighs 14 pounds. Will he be too heavy for a sling? Will it hurt my back?

Thanks!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version