Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Morning Sickness Eating Strategies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 14 2006 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Please would you share how you cope with all day morning sickness. I cannot eat anything!!The hard thing is that I am usually very healthy - plan our menus for 3 weeks at a time etc - but this is not happening as I cannot bear to cook! I do not usually do much sugar - but had to resort to Sour Patch Kid candies yesterday in desperation! (My kids find this amusing!!) We do not usually have soda in the house either - and Trader Joe's ginger ale is the only liquid I can tolerate. I have kids with food allergies - so we do not eat out or get take out. Right now we have a lot of sandwiches, soup and pasta.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Marilyn,

After having just gone through terrible sickness and now just feel bad, I want to tell you that you are in "survival mode." Don't beat yourself up for candy, pop, etc. Don't be hard on yourself for sandwiches, etc.

My kids have survived the last six weeks of suboptimal meals. I am usually very careful with healthy meals, organic foods, etc., but when this hits its whatever keeps us alive.

I couldn't drink any water for 6 weeks, and ended up with IV fluids here and there, but I know how you feel. Water drinking is impossible.

I also have things that are only for Mom--suckers, Jolly Ranchers, hot chocolate, etc. The kids are not to get into them!! Its not always obeyed, but they sure get in trouble . For whatever reason sugar makes me feel slightly better. I know people argue that sugar ruins you with morning sickness, but in between the "meals" I would gag down, a little sugar kept me from gagging too much. Eat anything you feel like. Don't look at the ingredients and try to eat protein. I also read that beef is much harder in morning sickness than chicken. I found this to be true. Eat frequent bites of whatever you can tolerate and lie down. I had to eat something like every hour or more. My husband brought me toast in bed in the morning and then I'd gag down some scrambled eggs (I hope this isn't making you sick by giving you details). I ate every meal lying on the couch since I couldn't sit at the table.

I also could not cook (and still can't cook many things and gag while things are cooking). If I smelled it cooking, or I cooked it I couldn't eat it. Dh ordered a lot of meals in and for the first time ever in early PG, I had a friend organize meals for me. It was humbling each day when those meals came, but I've never been so grateful in my life since most of my day was spent worrying about what my kids would eat. Dh tried to do some cooking, too, but he would get so overwhelmed when the kitchen got messy that he had a hard time cleaning up afterward. The boys tried to help, but it wasn't much help.

Hang in there. You are not alone. I've gotten much support on the forum from gals who feel as you do. Feel free to reach out whenever you need it since I'm now 13 weeks and just emerging from what I think was one of the hardest times of my entire life! Not a day went by when I did baul my eyes out wondering how I'd get by!

This is a hard time but you will survive, even if things begin to feel very dark for a while.

PM me if you need to. . .as as much as you need to.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2006 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was sucking on lollipops and Jolly Ranchers for the nausea, but that came back to bite me because the citric acid killed my esophogus, as I suffer really bad heartburn in pregnancy.

If you can, try to get some protein in you. Not that you can stomach it, but as soon as you are awake intake complex carbs and protein. So much of the morning sickness is empty stomach and low blood sugar.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2006 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

I found the ONLY remedy was to EAT little and often. As soon as I felt nauseous, I would find something to eat. Graham crackers were my favourite. It didn't make it disappear, but it was bearable.
MINTS were a lifesaver (no pun intended ) for me... GINGER really helped. GINGERSNAP cookies were great, but pretty much anything gingery helped.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2006 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Sarah wrote:
Marilyn,

Hang in there. You are not alone. I've gotten much support on the forum from gals who feel as you do. Feel free to reach out whenever you need it since I'm now 13 weeks and just emerging from what I think was one of the hardest times of my entire life! Not a day went by when I did baul my eyes out wondering how I'd get by!

This is a hard time but you will survive, even if things begin to feel very dark for a while.

PM me if you need to. . .as as much as you need to.

Thanks - Sarah and everyone. I appreciate it. Sarah - I did PM you - but I think your mailbox is full.

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

I would only eat what I could handle puking up- skittles were good! I also suck on hard candies constantly whenever I need to be vertical.

Seriously, I found nothing helped but to just survive and keep trying to get something down often. After being pg it takes me 6 months to be able to have soup again

As far as meals for the family they lived on lunchmeat sandwiches and fruit/veggies that my oldest could make himself.
As a child I attended a small school that didn't have a lunch program. Everyday Mom would pack us ham and cheese sandwiches that we would warm in the microwave for a few seconds. We ate this for years! Now it is a staple in our house during pregnancies.

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2006 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

MarilynW wrote:

Thanks - Sarah and everyone. I appreciate it. Sarah - I did PM you - but I think your mailbox is full.

Oh dear, I'm sorry. I'll clear that now.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 17 2006 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Oh Marilyn,

Most of my post could ditto Sarah's as I am in the worst of the morning sickness now . One thing that someone suggested earlier when I posted for help..... was to decrease any white sugar and white flour intake and increase my protien and vitamin B6 intake.

I think this has really helped over the past weeks because I know from previous pregnancies I was a lot sicker during these earlier weeks. For protien I have a lot of hard boiled eggs, roast beef and slices of cheese and nuts that I try to diligently snack on every hour or two (and no later). If I don't do this by night fall the toilet is my best friend.

As for liquids it depends on the time of day and how I feel and fluctuates from week to week but I have been able to get tomato juice, sprite or ginger ale, milk, grape juice and some very cold ice water down. I try to get my fluids down with meals.

A good friend of mine said that she found sucking on ginger altoids really helped her through the sickness. Personally the mere thought of sucking on those right now sounds but if you can do the candy thing then give them a try.

As for brushing my teeth without visiting the toilet, I found some homeopathic toothpaste in lemon flavor and it has worked beautifully.

HTH.

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

fsuadamson wrote:

As for brushing my teeth without visiting the toilet, I found some homeopathic toothpaste in lemon flavor and it has worked beautifully.

HTH.

I too have a real problem with brushing and flossing. I am supposed to go for my check to the dentist this week - not sure I can handle it.

Thanks Leslie for the advice. I can do eggs too. No beef at all. Some chicken. Funnily enough 2 things that look attractive are things I do not usually have - red wine(!!!!!) and hot chili sauce - no idea why? I have found a "healthy" version of pot noodles at Wholefoods - and this is the food of the moment - high sodium but no artificial stuff. Not very nutritious but I keep it down.

Today is baking day in my house - I have four little people (and lots of neighbors) who will be very disappointed if baking does not happen before Christmas. Say a prayer for me please!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version