Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Group B Strep Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 07 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Christine

This has been one of my more mentally draining pregnancies, as I have had an unexplainable worry about my baby. The nausea was bad. After it went away, I felt constantly tired and eventually found that it was due to anemia (I was anemic with my 3rd child too). I have been concerned about this baby's weight, as my last little blessing weighed 10 lbs 12 oz, over 2 pounds heavier than any of my other babies. I was maintaining a decent weight until recently. Yesterday, the doctor confirmed that the baby is still breech and he decided based on the baby's current weight to do an external version, without induction, next week. He also told me that I had tested positive for Group B Strep. I am trying to trust and pray. At the same time, I am feeling a little overwhelmed. Sorry, for the whining. I came here to ask whether anyone has any experience with Group B Strep? I will be given an antibiotic once I am in labor (hopefully, I get to the hospital at least 4 hours before the baby is born).

Does anyone know of any possible natural ways to curb or eradicate Group B Strep?

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 07 2006 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

There are natural ways, but it's too late in this pregnancy. Suppositories of garlic and tea tree oil can work, but I wouldn't mess with it now. Go for the IV antibiotics and then eat lots of live yogurt and take acidophilus to get your gut back in shape. Watch the baby for signs of thrush...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2006 at 11:18am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Christine,
I tested positive with #5. I was worried too because my deliveries happen pretty quick...within one hour of water breaking.

I went to the hospital at 4 cm. that morning and they started me on the IV and broke my water. We all thought she'd come quickly. The staff knew to watch the baby closely for any negative signs but the dr. thought enough antibiotics would get in my system before she was born.

Turns out she had her hand on top of her head which slowed down my labor. I dilated very, very, very slowly. She wasn't born until 2:36 PM.   

Everything was fine. Your dr. and the staff will be on close watch. My prayers are with you.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Dec 07 2006 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Christine,
Usually in the case of a qucik delivery, where there isn't time for all (or any) doses of the IV antibiotic, the baby hasn't spent much time in the birth canal. So, those babies are usually able to avoid infection.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 07 2006 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Risk factors for transferral of Group B to baby are _

prolonged premature rupture of membranes

long, drawn out labors (but most medical settings are so nervous about long labors anyway that they don't let you go too long)

prematurity (the strep grows on the machines needed and can be a source on re-infection)

not every mom who has group B passes it on to the baby but it is scarey if the baby actually does get the full blown disease.

If the group B is something that the mom has had for a while it seems like the baby develops immunity along with the mom - but if it is something that is transmitted in the hospital from baby to baby or something odd then it seems to be scarier for the baby.

every region seems to do something different - but antibiotics in labor are a reasonable safety precaution. Antiobiotics can also be given before labor - and sometimes they suggest treating both mom and dad. When this is done, there is some risk that the group B recurs by the time labor starts. Dr. Bradley said they never saw a case of infection from mom to baby in a homebirth setting - probably due to minimum interference. One of the best things is to not let anyone break your bag of water's intentionally and to minimize internal exams in pregnancy and labor as much as possible.

Will they allow you and the baby to be together from the beginning. Here they mandated 24 hours of isolation and observation but this is not necessary as it is not done in the state next to us and doesn't seem to be common in other areas.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2006 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

I tested positive for Group B Strep with my daughter (8 mos now). Because I have read that the antibiotics are protecting less and less babies from Group B Strep because of germ mutation, I wanted to help my body to fight it too. A naturopath I went to had me take alot of Magnesium -- which has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. I also took Grapefruit Seed Extract drops in water I think 3 times per day -- have you heard of this? it kills EVERYTHING bad and it's totally natural. Actually, for future reference my sister in law used it to wash herself before her test and she tested negative when she hadn't in the past -- several people I know swear this has worked for them.
Also my naturopath also told me to cut down my carb and sugar intake to 60g a day -- because carbs and sugar feed bacteria. i did this for my last 3-4 weeks of pregnancy.

I don't know if this is information that you are looking for, but I hope this helps!

This article was very informative for me:
http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_prep aration/group-b.html
Sorry -- I can't do the linking thing!
Back to Top View mary theresa's Profile Search for other posts by mary theresa

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Christine

mary theresa wrote:
I tested positive for Group B Strep with my daughter (8 mos now). Because I have read that the antibiotics are protecting less and less babies from Group B Strep because of germ mutation, I wanted to help my body to fight it too. A naturopath I went to had me take alot of Magnesium -- which has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. I also took Grapefruit Seed Extract drops in water I think 3 times per day -- have you heard of this? it kills EVERYTHING bad and it's totally natural. Actually, for future reference my sister in law used it to wash herself before her test and she tested negative when she hadn't in the past -- several people I know swear this has worked for them.
Also my naturopath also told me to cut down my carb and sugar intake to 60g a day -- because carbs and sugar feed bacteria. i did this for my last 3-4 weeks of pregnancy.

I don't know if this is information that you are looking for, but I hope this helps!

This article was very informative for me:
www.mothering.com

This is definitely information that I am looking for.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to share your experiences and knowledge. It is all very helpful. Elizabeth, I couldn't help but smile when I read your recommendation of yogurt and acidophilus. I needed it, as I wouldn't have thought about it right now. My mom recommended it everytime anyone was taking an antibiotic.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2006 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote nissag

Christine wrote:
This has been one of my more mentally draining pregnancies, as I have had an unexplainable worry about my baby. The nausea was bad. After it went away, I felt constantly tired and eventually found that it was due to anemia (I was anemic with my 3rd child too). I have been concerned about this baby's weight, as my last little blessing weighed 10 lbs 12 oz, over 2 pounds heavier than any of my other babies. I was maintaining a decent weight until recently. Yesterday, the doctor confirmed that the baby is still breech and he decided based on the baby's current weight to do an external version, without induction, next week. He also told me that I had tested positive for Group B Strep. I am trying to trust and pray. At the same time, I am feeling a little overwhelmed. Sorry, for the whining. I came here to ask whether anyone has any experience with Group B Strep? I will be given an antibiotic once I am in labor (hopefully, I get to the hospital at least 4 hours before the baby is born).

Does anyone know of any possible natural ways to curb or eradicate Group B Strep?

Christine,

I had GBS with my first two. BTW, it is a fallacy that once you have it, you always have it... I don't know that you have a lot of time to do much other than to have the IV antibiotics. However - I swear by straight cranberry juice. Not the funny cocktail drinks, but Knudsen Just Cranberry" Cranberries contain a natural antibiotic. I've done that for each of my last 3 babes and tested negative.

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Hope you don't mind me jumping in to ask a question:

I tested positive with my first and had antibiotics given twice because my labor was sooo long. I tested negative with my second. I am praying I test negative for this pregnancy in four weeks.

I've read that some of you have said, that it may be too late to use some of these natural remedies. When is too late? I'm 32 weeks.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Thank you for all of the advice. Even though it may have been a little bit late to do so, I drank cranberry juice, ate raw garlic, and took acidophilus and grape seed extract. I was only able to get one dose of the antibiotic before our little boy was born. Please keep him in your prayers over the next few weeks, as he is at risk for developing late onset GBS (due to the fact that I did not get the full course of antibiotics).

Pretty Lilla Rose

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 1:14am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Christine, I didn't realise these concerns you have at present - I am making an ongoing novena to Our Lady of Guadalupe for my health and I will add your little Finnian to it as well until he is out of danger.

God Bless, Anne

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Ruth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote Ruth

Christine,

I will keep your baby in my prayers.

God bless.

mom to 7 miracles

My family blog

Loreto Rosaries
Back to Top View Ruth's Profile Search for other posts by Ruth Visit Ruth's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Christine,

So glad to hear you had your baby! I will keep you and Finnian in my prayers. I understand!   

I will be getting tested this Thursday for Strep B.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version