Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Going outside twice a day? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 18 2006 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

I'm just curious...is there anyone who takes their kids outside twice a day (once in the morning & once in the afternoon) and still manages to get lesson time and housework in? I've heard of this and was wondering how to fit it all in.

Typically, our routine is to do chores in the morning (the only time my pregnant body has the energy to get them all done!), followed by school, lunch, nap/quiet time and then outdoor play. Since my original posts about feeling worn down by this pregnancy, we've been spending more time outdoors in the afternoons than ever before. However, I'm really struggling to keep my 6 and 5yo's attention on these beautiful fall mornings and am finding myself looking out the window, daydreaming about getting fresh air, wondering why we shouldn't just put our pencils down and go outside and play for an hour!

I'm already struggling to get in any "formal" lesson time in the morning with chores taking up so much time and then all the interruptions from the littler ones...I can't believe I'm actually considering this change of routine (to add another outside play time). Elizabeth has suggested retreating to the outdoors in one of her posts about burnout, but at this point in my little ones' lives, they won't be using that time for anything other than digging in the sandbox and driving their bikes through the mud. Although I can find educational merit in almost any non-seatwork type of activity, I hesitate to say this added time outdoors (in the morning) would be "learning" time...

I just want to go out and play! Is it selfish to do this just for me (for the new baby )?? I already feel like I just can't get it ALL done, so how could I justify giving myself time to do even less? Dh is fine with it, even encouraging it, but I always feel like the "homeschool police" will be on the lookout...

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Nov 18 2006 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Kristine,
My kisds have really learned the lingo. On one of those beautiful mornings last week, Stephen (7), invoked Charlotte Mason and said, "You know it's almost winter and pretty soon it won't be so beautiful. Don't you think we shouldn't stay indoors if we can be out?"

I'd go with that sentiment...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 18 2006 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

Kristine,
I would just be outside as much as you can. I have been "avoiding" lessons with my two youngest since September. We started right in with Alphabet notebooks but as we did our activities I kept saying to myself "this would be great if it wasn't so beautiful outside". After two weeks I opted for outside. Our entire fall has consisted of reading stories and playing outside. I try to let them take turns helping in the kitchen but I am too often in way too much of a hurry to get things done.
Some days they play and I do yard work, some days I watch them out the window while I help the older two with their work, and somedays we are all out playing.
Most days the first thing ds (4) asks at the breakfast table is if he can outside and play after he eats.
They learn so much just playing and exploring outside - how can we say no to that?????   

"We can do no great things - only small things with great love." Blessed Mother Teresa
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2006 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Can you move chore time to right after outdoor play - then the mud, etc is cleaned up once - not twice!

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2006 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

No, we can't if anything is going to get done in the house. Once they are hyped up, there's no way they are coming back to settle with books and they always gripe that I call them in just when they are getting into things. (building a fort for example) We do chores, school, lunch, then activities out of the house until dinner time, baths, reading/quiet games or family movie, then bed. We switch school and outside activities during the really hot days of summer to take advantage of the cooler weather.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2006 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Kristine, your children are still so little. What harm would it do to just take more time off if you and the kids all feel you need it?
I advise doing school in chunks. Take the rest of november off, come back and do some school including advent studies in december, take Christmas and baby time off in January, get back in the groove again when you can after that. Even if you take 2 months off for baby you still have 3-4 months of school left. Plenty of time.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2006 at 9:39pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I've just recently started adding a quick 15 min to 1/2 hour break after our seatiest seatwork is done (piano, math, and phonics). I'm finding that it lets them burn off a little excess energy and still settle fairly well after (we're a fairly calm crew here), but we settle back to the sofa for the cozier part of our school day.

Sadly, I usually switch laundry or do some other chore during that time. You've inspired me to get out this week.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2006 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

lapazfarm wrote:
Kristine, your children are still so little. What harm would it do to just take more time off if you and the kids all feel you need it?
I advise doing school in chunks. Take the rest of november off, come back and do some school including advent studies in december, take Christmas and baby time off in January, get back in the groove again when you can after that. Even if you take 2 months off for baby you still have 3-4 months of school left. Plenty of time.

Absolutely! If I only had my six year old and her younger brother and sisters, we wouldn't come inside until the cold weather forced us.

Read many, many picture books, do nature study, play games, banish the television, and enjoy this magical time!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2006 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Well, that settles it! Out we go!

Thanks, ladies. It's such a blessing to be able to bounce your thoughts and ideas off of other homeschooling moms...I'm so thankful to be a part of this forum and seek wisdom from all of you great moms!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version