Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: What Katy Did Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 28 2005 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Is anyone familiar with the book, What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge? I came upon it by one of those "suggested reading for girls" lists at Amazon and just picked up the audio version from the library today. It says for age 10 and up, and I wanted to be sure there weren't any themes that wouldn't be appropriate for the whole family. It was written in the late 1800's, and the audio book jacket compares it to the writings of Louisa May Alcott, so I assumed it would be good. I just thought I'd solicit feedback before popping it in the van cd player. Thanks.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: July 23 2005 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Well, it is almost 3 months later and I can finally answer my own post.

After we finally finished the Narnia books on audio, we listened to What Katy Did. We loved it! I highly recommend it. It is a very sweet story about a twelve year old girl who is the eldest of 6 children, whose mother died years earlier. Katy wants to be a good girl, but has such difficulty controlling her temper and impulses. Many children will identify with her. One day, this leads to an accident with serious consequences that change her life forever. I won't spoil the story for you, but suffice it to say that the changes that come about in Katy due to suffering have been a wonderful inspiration to both me and my girls.

My oldest dd has been devouring the 6th Harry Potter book this past week while we were also listening to the final chapters of What Katy Did. I was a bit afraid that the excitement of HP would overshadow the wonderful lessons we were learning from Katy. But a few days ago after we came in from a trip in the van, dd said, "I am really enjoying What Katy Did." I said, "So am I. It makes me want to be a better mom and nicer person." She agreed wholeheartedly. The messages in the book are particularly good for an eldest child who could use some encouragement at being a good example and gentle, loving leader of her siblings.

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2005 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I think there are sequels: What Katy Did Next and What Katy Did At School. I think. iT's been a long time since I read the books! Sorry I didn't see your earlier post, I would have given you the thumbs up!!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: July 23 2005 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Yes, I went to my library sites and Amazon last night and found both of them. Unfortunately neither of my library systems has them, so I'll probably have to use interlibrary loan to get them. I'm surprised that I haven't heard them mentioned in all my years of gleaning good literature suggestions from e-groups. Did you like the 2nd and 3rd book too?

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2005 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I really liked the Katy books as a young teen - but I haven't read them since! I will have to re-read.

Leonie in Sydney
Back to Top View Leonie's Profile Search for other posts by Leonie

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2005 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Irene, I don't remember the details of What Katy Did at School and What Katy Did Next, but I do remember enjoying them as a child. I have always been bemused that the Katy books never seem to be recommended on any American homeschooling lists, as here they are still considered classics and are easily available - our library system has several copies of each. What I didn't know until recently is that there were actually five books in the series. The last two - Clover, and In The High Valley - were out of print for many years but have recently been republished in the UK by a small independent publisher (incidentally, Leonie, this same publisher has bought out the rights to the Chalet School books and is gradually republishing the rarer ones).

Another book I don't remember seeing mentioned is Pollyanna, by Eleanor H.Porter. Pollyanna is an orphaned girl who is sent to live with an unsympathetic aunt. She makes the best of things and wins the hearts of the local community - though not, apparently, the aunt - by playing the "glad game" (looking for something in every situation to be glad about) ... until there is an accident and she isn't able to be glad any more. I think your girls would enjoy this one too . There is a sequel, Pollyanna Grows Up, but I don't remember ever reading it.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: July 24 2005 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Kathryn UK wrote:
I have always been bemused that the Katy books never seem to be recommended on any American homeschooling lists, as here they are still considered classics and are easily available - our library system has several copies of each. What I didn't know until recently is that there were actually five books in the series. The last two - Clover, and In The High Valley - were out of print for many years but have recently been republished in the UK by a small independent publisher .

I find that interesting too. The entire time I was listening to the book, I wondered why in the world it has never been mentioned with other wonderful series like the All-of-a-Kind Family books or the Betsy-Tacy books. I noticed the Clover book on Amazon (as out of print, I believe). I hope the newly published ones become available here in the states too. And both you and Leonie have made me very curious to get my hands on the Chalet School books too!

Kathryn UK wrote:
Another book I don't remember seeing mentioned is Pollyanna, by Eleanor H.Porter. Pollyanna is an orphaned girl who is sent to live with an unsympathetic aunt. She makes the best of things and wins the hearts of the local community - though not, apparently, the aunt - by playing the "glad game" (looking for something in every situation to be glad about) ... until there is an accident and she isn't able to be glad any more. I think your girls would enjoy this one too . There is a sequel, Pollyanna Grows Up, but I don't remember ever reading it.

I think just about every American is very familiar with the basics of the Pollyanna story . . . unfortunately, it's through an old Disney movie and not the book. I do like the movie. (I'm a Hayley Mills fan.) But I think it's sad that I never even knew there was a Pollyanna book until I was an adult. It's funny you mention it now, because one of my girls checked it out just last week when we were at the library. She hasn't begun to read it yet, but I'm sure she'll enjoy it. Maybe I'll convince her to make it a family read aloud instead!

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: July 24 2005 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

We made a great "living book" connection at Mass this morning. Our pastor focused his homily on the 2nd reading from Romans 8:28 about all things working together for good for those who love God. He talked about how God will not just remove suffering, but will help us to use it to get closer to our ultimate goal of heaven and to grow in goodness and holiness here on earth.

I was thinking about the character of Katy in the book What Katy Did the entire time. When I brought it up on the way home from Mass, the girls were able to have a concrete picture of what Father was talking about in his homily. I love it when our reading dovetails with real life!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version