Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Wal-mart goes TOO far!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Please check out the following link: http://www.afa.net/walmartpetition.asp

Wal-mart will be donating 5% of their sales over Thanksgiving weekend to homos*xual groups! This is just an in-your-face insult to the families who are their life-blood!

I gave up on Wal-mart years ago, with the morning after pill and other anti-life policies. I know that for many it is very hard to not shop there because of limited budgets.

But please read the petition and at least let them know that they not get your money during the specified time. I intend to write them personally to let them know that I will not be shopping at their stores for my seven children this Christmas!

Please pass the petition along to everyone you know as well. Remember what happened with American Girl last year. Money talks.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

Thank you for posting the link. I just signed the petition and will forward it to those in my address book!

momwats8
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote momwats8

my homeschooling group passed this around too. It is further evidence that I need to stop shopping there and even if my budget suffers I am goig to stop. I do not want them to get my money anymore.

http://www.momwats8.blogspot.com
Back to Top View momwats8's Profile Search for other posts by momwats8 Visit momwats8's Homepage

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Yuck! I've signed the petition. I'm really disgusted about this.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2006 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

momwats8 wrote:
It is further evidence that I need to stop shopping there and even if my budget suffers I am goig to stop. I do not want them to get my money anymore.

My feelings exactly!

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2006 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Hi,

The headline to this petition, which is itself incomplete information, says it is "5% of online sales" that will result in such contributions, not all sales over Thanksgiving weekend. Later the petition clarifies that "The cash donation will come from ALL online purchases made at Wal-Mart through the homosexual group's Web site" (emphasis mine.) Note also this line: "Every purchase made online for books, music, videos, clothing and accessories, children's clothing and toys, and electronics at the site will automatically send 5% of the sales to the homosexual group" (italics mine, bold theirs.)

I did some more research on the petition's claim that "this was an ideological decision by Wal-Mart, not a business decision. Wal-Mart decided to give the promotion of homosexual marriage their full support" in part because someone recently gave us a Wal-mart gift card and we cannot easily afford to throw it away. I found this Palm Beach Post report which clarifies that the "donation" only comes because the homos*xual group has been participating in a Wal-Mart affiliate program since 2002. The claim that "this was an ideological decision by Wal-Mart, not a business decision. Wal-Mart decided to give the promotion of homosexual marriage their full support" seems to be utterly false.

Theresa
Back to Top View insegnante's Profile Search for other posts by insegnante

Jeanna
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 12 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanna

I think Walmart has made a bad decision, and it's not their first. When I first got this e-mail I decided to snopes it and discovered more. If they want to boost their business by forging "partnerships with minority organizations to attract diverse suppliers" that's fine with me. When it comes to morally challanged minority organizations though....that's when they've lost my business.
Back to Top View Jeanna's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanna

momwats8
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2006 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote momwats8

I guess for me it stems from the same thing - lots of bad decsions by Walmart compounding my conviction that I need to stop shopping there. I agree that if you were given a gift card you should use it. I would never suggest to anyone they throw away a gift card. We all have to do the best we can with what we have adn if I was given a giftcard I would thank the person and use it.

http://www.momwats8.blogspot.com
Back to Top View momwats8's Profile Search for other posts by momwats8 Visit momwats8's Homepage

insegnante
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2006 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote insegnante

Oh, I'm not a big fan of Wal-mart, and there are things that could make me consider a complete boycott (I guess the gift card usage is a bit different since the money has been spent.) I have seen the information in the Snopes link Jeanna posted and DH and I will have to discuss that. But I think it's important for people to have accurate information. The program that the AFA petition describes in such alarming terms is not the same as the "partnership with National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce" that Snopes reports.
Back to Top View insegnante's Profile Search for other posts by insegnante

Jeanna
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 12 2006 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanna

I agree that the last AFA petition didn't do a great job reporting the situation. It sort of bothers me when the groups that I would like to trust put their own spin on them. What's wrong with the truth?
Back to Top View Jeanna's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanna

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 12 2006 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I'm not a big fan of Wal-mart either. They are so bad for local business. I have tried to boycott them in the past, but have been unsuccessful. This time it was a family decision. Haven't shopped there for a month, and believe it or not, we saved money.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

While I agree with everyone about Wal-mart's bad decisions, I'd like to point out that it's not just Wal-mart that's the "culprit" here. If you go to the GLBT website that is referenced at the petition:

Link here

you'll see that there is a LONG list of vendors that have "signed up" for this "support".

What these are basically are affiliate programs that online vendors approve on application. i.e., the same ads that we put on our websites and blogs -- they can be applied for through affiliate programs like linkshare, commission junction, text ads, or the vendor's own, etc.

These vendors, from what I know anyway, most of the time approve any application that comes in (as long as it's related to their product, e.g., I have a Garden blog so I've been approved to put an affiliate button for Gardener's Supply) because it means traffic and it means sales.

IOW, it's more a money/traffic decision -- more than a support decision, i.e., "Let's approve this application because we support the gay lifestyle". I'm not saying Wal-mart does not support the gay lifestyle, they obviously support of lots of causes that you and I don't.

But I just wanted to clarify that almost anyone can get these affiliate links to put on their website regardless of what cause they represent. i.e., You and I can put these same links on our sites (and I'm sure you've seen the links on moms' blogs, websites, etc. where it says, "please help support this site by clicking here or shopping through my link, etc.") -- doesn't mean when I put such a link on my site that the vendor supports Catholicism or homeschooling or healthful living. Just that if you click the link and/or buy through it, *I* make money. And any traffic I can send their way, *they* make money.

What's important to understand is that GLBT *only* gets money from these vendors if people click through using the GLBT link. And since *we* won't be doing that, we won't be supporting the GLBT cause through our purchases.    But yes, the people who shop at GLBT will be supporting THEIR cause, in much the same way that we support each other by clicking on each other's links when we visit our friends' blogs and websites.

I know the other links here explain all these, but I just wanted to detail it in case there was a question about how affiliate programs worked and how these people get money.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Did anyone see that Wal Mart just last week announced that they are no longer going to use the term "Happy Holidays" but are returning to "Merry Christmas"?

I hate to be pesky, but it almost seems like the Christmas attempt is an effort to court the Christian community and to perhaps distract from their new stance on homosexuality?

It reminds me of several years ago when Target started a huge ad campaign using Amy Grant's and Michael W. Smith's (big contemporary Christian artists at the time) faces at the same time that they were sending money to Planned Parenthood.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2006 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Bookswithtea wrote:

I hate to be pesky, but it almost seems like the Christmas attempt is an effort to court the Christian community and to perhaps distract from their new stance on homosexuality?

I wondered the very same thing. I was happy that they (and Macy's)had made this decision, but was wondering the same thing you are, Books. Hmmmm....

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version