Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: neophyte here Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom3bme
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 10 2006 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote mom3bme

Hello! My name is Kelly. I am mom to 3 kids ages 9 (3rd grade), 6 (kindergarten), and 2 years old. The oldest is a boy and the younger 2 are girls.

I am neophyte in all senses of the word...except Catholicism. I am a cradle Catholic deeply committed to raising my children to love Jesus and to help them become warriors for His glory through the working of our Holy Catholic Church. I am brand new to homeschooling. As a matter of fact, we haven't even formally started yet.

Background: My son has attended our local parochial school for 1st through 3rd grades. He's in 3rd grade now. The school has some positives (good academics, strong catechesis, vibrant church community) but in general there approach is fill, GRILL, and drill, especially GRILL. There is not alot of love or respect exhibited towards the children. Last year (second grade) I experienced a major faith crisis due to the realization that my dreams of a Catholic education for my children were not materializing. Things improved and my son wanted to return for 3rd grade. However, by the beginning of October he was exhibiting major signs of stress at home. I finally "closed the door" on this school and began (once again) praying in earnest. After 3 days of rosaries begging our Lady to intercede on my behalf the Lord revealed to me (in a middle of the night waking) that what my son needs is my TLC not a different institution. I knew in my heart that Jesus was calling me to homeschool my son.

To make a longer story short, I continued to pray in earnest and said I would do it if my son and husband were in agreement. Surprisingly (to me not to Jesus) everyone is on board. So the plan is to start homeschooling in January. I figured I would need the next few months to explore curriculums, approaches, and also to get through Thanksgiving & Christmas.

My daughter is currently attending kindergarten in the local public school. I'm not sure what we will do with her next year. She cried when I told her she would not be going to the local parish school. When I asked her why she said, "I'm Catholic and I should get a Catholic education". Big sigh in Mom's heavy heart. I told her that I know and that mom is starting with her older brother and that we would see how it goes. I promised her a Catholic education either through homeschool or another means.

Right now, I feel that Jesus is calling me to just start and put one foot in front of the other. I don't know if we will homeschool for 6 months, 16 months, or 16 years. I just know that I am called to begin. I struggle with what to do with my daughter in the Fall. However, I am leaning towards keeping her in the local public school for 1 more year and starting (formal)cathecism at home. I'm also exploring a different parochial school about 30 minutes away.

So that's my story. Sorry to ramble. I am going to be posting a question in the general box about the CM approach. Your insights and prayers are greatly appreciated.

God Bless,

Kelly

p.s. Before I had kids I wanted to send them to Catholic school. Early in my marriage, I made it clear to my husband that this was very important to me. He wasn't Catholic at the time (he's the Catholic neophyte in the family right now), but he was completely supportive. That is why our disastrous school experience has been a true crisis of faith for me. It has made me stronger and has forced me to examine in depth the ways I share my faith with my family. God has brought good out of this rocky road!
Back to Top View mom3bme's Profile Search for other posts by mom3bme

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2006 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Welcome to the board, Kelly -- I also pulled my two oldest out of parochial school in 3rd grade and Kindergarten, respectively.   That was 13 years ago     I will add your intentions to my prayers!

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2006 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Welcome, Kelly!

This group is so wonderful...you'll learn a lot, and it sounds like you have a lot to give to this community, too! I'm sure you'll find some of the answers you're seeking.

Looking forward to getting to know you better,

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2006 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Welcome Kelly
You could not have found a more supportive, caring bunch than here!
My children have attended Catholic schools also, long ago. I was not impressed, for the same reasons you relate.
Have you read Real Learning yet? If not, it is the very best place to start.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2006 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Welcome Kelly

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 1:28am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

Welcome - have fun reading at the boards.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 11 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Welcome Kelly!
I find that the most difficult part of a beginning is the decision. You already made that. You are half way there

This forum is a great place to be! welcome

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version