Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: The Martha Years Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 27 2005 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Lissa,

I have been reading these aloud to Monica (8), mostly on nights that the boys have boys club at church. We both enjoyed them so much. Often Monica hated to stop so I would tell her that she could read ahead if she wanted to. She is an excellent reader they would be easy for her. But she always said no, she wanted to wait for me to read them to her. It was important to her that we share these stories together.

We just finished "Beyond..." and I wanted to let everyone know, especially Lissa, how much we enjoyed them and what a special time reading them turned out to be for my daughter and I.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2005 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Bridget, thank you so much! Your post has made my day. I love that Monica wanted to hold on until you read them to her--what a lovely thought.

I am awfully fond of Martha as a character and have enjoyed being able to write her both as a girl and as a mother (in the Charlotte books). I've had lots of fun planting seeds in her childhood and watching them bear fruit in her womanhood. It isn't often a writer gets so much space to explore the development of a particular character, and I feel so blessed by the opportunity.

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2005 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Just had to chime in and say that I, too, highly recommend the Martha books as mother/daughter read-alouds. I've read them with my girls more than once ... we loved them the first time, we love them every time. Now, the girls are recommending them to friends. They have a "book club" whereby they swap books with some other homeschooling friends every week or two, and Emily has her friend going through the Martha books.

We love Charlotte, too, but I have a special affection for Martha. Must be my roots in that part of the world.

My only complaint about them is that there are not enough of them being published every year. Lissa, you don't have anything else to do with your time, do you?

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 29 2005 at 5:18am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

You know, this brings to mind the midlife discussion on the Fireside board. We were talking about role models for later years. It just occurred to me that I had a good cathartic cry with Martha over the loss of a baby in Puddingstone Dam. My sense is that if we can be patient enough, Lissa is going to have to come up with a vision of a mature woman (Martha as the mother of a grown girl) for us before the Charlotte series is complete.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2005 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote Leonie

As a mother of boys, I wanted to add that my youngest son, Anthony, has loved the Martha books. He has read them silently and when he finished the last one we own, said he can't wait to hear what name Martha's sister names her baby.

So, some boys like these books, too.

Leonie in Sydney
Back to Top View Leonie's Profile Search for other posts by Leonie

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2005 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Leonie wrote:

So, some boys like these books, too.

Good point, Leonie. In our girl-full house, I don't even tend to think along those lines ... though I know whenever someone sings the praises of Redwall for boys, I like to add that my girls love that, too!

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2005 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I'm going to jump in here to say I have begun the Charlotte series. Oh, I love them so much!!! It is so wonderful to be able to part of the Little House again and enjoy new characters!!!!

God bless,

Marybeth

PS I have the list of books for Martha printed off and plan to head over to the library today!!
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

mrsgranola
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 28 2005 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote mrsgranola

On this subject, I*finally* started cataloging my books. Of course, my LIW collection was the first to be input on my Readerware software.

Now, where would be the easiest place on the web to figure out the chronological order of the continuing series books? The series order of each of the already published books and what's left to be published in the different series, too.

I have most of the continuing series books as far as I know, as well as any other LIW books I can get my hands on.

A dear friend of mine back in SC gave me an old edition of Little House in the Big Woods. It's a hardback 1930's edition with the old drawings. What a prize! It's supposed to be worth around $35 or so today...

FYI, the Bruggeman's were here last night and we had a great visit! It was such fun with all their kids and mine having a blast!

Happy Feast of Corpus Christi!

JoAnna

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2005 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

mrsgranola wrote:

Now, where would be the easiest place on the web to figure out the chronological order of the continuing series books? The series order of each of the already published books and what's left to be published in the different series, too.

Joanna,

If you go to my website and scroll down the sidebar, you'll find a list of all the books in each series in chronological order.

The chrono. order of the five series is:

Martha (LIW's great-grandmother, books set in 1780s & 90s.)

Charlotte (LIW's grandmother, books set in 18-teens and -20s.)

Caroline (LIW's mother, books set in 1840s)

Laura (books set in 1870s & 80s)

Rose (books set in 1890s/early 1900s)

Quote:
The series order of each of the already published books and what's left to be published in the different series, too.

There's no list yet for the books left to be published because I'll be writing those and haven't titled them yet!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version