Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Favorite Christmas CD you sing to. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I'm wondering whether you could share your favourite Advent/Christmas CD. I would love to have a more reliable source than the radio. I just love to hum or sing along as I fold laundry or cut up some vegetables.

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I LOVE Every Knee Shall Bend. I bought it when I was at a retreat in Connecticut and I sing along with it every year. This is a great topic. I'd like to see what others recommend.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Es Weihnachtet Sehr - lots of classic german carols. The girls and I love to sing along too. We have to do it when dh is not at home, it just drives him nuts to hear too much Christmas music 4 weeks before Christmas. We aren't to play it at all until the 1st Sunday in Advent and then sparingly. We also have extra Advent music when dh is around. Beginning the Eve of the 24th, we can play as much Christmas music as we want ....

But don't you just get the urge to play Christmas carols when it gets really wintry outside?...even if it is early November????

Stephanie in Germany
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Mannheim Steamroller esp. Extraordinaire, Christmas, A Fresh Aire, and In the Aire.
I was super disappointed in the Christmas Angel and I haven't heard the rest of them. Renaissance Holiday looks very interesting. Anybody heard it?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

We love the Manheim Steamroller Christmas also! Another favorite is Chicago 25. We also like alot of the "Very Special Christmas" series.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

We like the old-fashioned songs on the Williams-Sonoma Christmas CD's.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Our family favorites are:

Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas

Christmas Songs by Sinatra

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Burl Ives, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

My husband really enjoys Anne Murray's Christmas Album, but we argue over that one since it reminds me of long, boring car trips during Christmas as a child. (He turns on that CD and I immediately feel carsick.)

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

5athome
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2006 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote 5athome

I bought the Mark Forrest cd when we purchased his rosary one and we are enjoying it. I believe he had samples you could listen to on his website.
Back to Top View 5athome's Profile Search for other posts by 5athome

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2006 at 1:01am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

I also really enjoy BRIGHT DAY STAR - music for the yuletide season, by the Baltimore Consort. Old carols and dance tunes from the British Isles, Germany & Appalachia. One can not always sing a long, but it is very beautiful.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2006 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Carols from Kings College Choir Cambridge... I like traditional... I also like Nat King Cole.

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2006 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

We love:

Charlie Brown's Christmas

The Very Special Christmas (I think it's from the 80s--has U2, Sting, Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp--you know, the oldies!) The Sting song "Gabriel's Message" is just beautiful!

Captain Kangaroo's Christmas

Elvis' It's Christmas Time

Vince Gill Breath of Heaven

James Taylor's Christmas Album

Burl Ives Holly Jolly Christmas

But my FAVORITE is: (drum roll.....)

Harry Connick, Jr.'s When My Heart Finds Christmas

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2006 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

While Christmas shopping at a department store with my parents when I was ten, I wandered over to the electronics dept where they were playing a Christmas movie I had never seen before. I stood entranced and watched the movie from near the begining to the end. My parents I am sure were pleased, as I was quietly occupied and I was pleased as I had a favorite new Christmas movie. Scrooge is now a must every Christmas. We sing through the entire movie together in the Sound of Music fashion. A CD of the movie was never made, but this CD is available and we enjoy. Our favorites are "December the 25th", "I Like Life", and "Thank You Very Much". The link I provided has samples you can hear if you scroll down a bit. I play "I Like Life" on days I get discouraged.

Christmas Carols from St. John'shas been a favorite for years. You can hear samples here too. We learned to sing "Good King Wenceleslas" from this CD.

Christmas Day in the Morning by the Cambridge Singers is a favorite also. My all time favorite Christmas carol is here, "Shepherd's Pipe Carol" (#21 if you want to hear it, click see all selections). There should be a children's book written to go with this song!

Then of course, there's Bing. All time favorite of his is "Christmas Dinner, Country Style". My dear brother (db) found it one year and played it for me. He said it reminded him of me. Christmas Dinner, Country StyleThe sample here will give you an idea of the tune, but the story of the song is a country family eating the huge Christmas dinner their dear mother made. It's obviously a large family as he calls off their names to help with the dinner. I'm not doing the song justice, but I just know ya'll would love it!

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2006 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

I'm a *collector of Christmas CDs*. I like to call it that, rather than an obsession, as I think my dh calls it.     I think my last count was somewhere in the 80's.

My favorites are:

The Polar Express (one of my new favs because I LOVE Josh Groban's Believe and the song Hot Chocolate).

John Denver's Rocky Mountain Christmas (LOVE this except for Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas    It reminds me of when I was growing up).

Charlie Brown Christmas (definite family favorite)

Bing Crosby's White Christmas- a classic

Harry Connick Jr.'s When My Heart Finds Christmas

Barry Manilow's Because It's Christmas

Nat King Cole's Christmas album

James Taylor's Christmas album

Jim Brickman's The Gift (LOVE, love, love this song!)

Tony Bennett's Snowfall (don't have it yet, but am getting for my birthday next week. I LOVE him!

Mel Torme's Christmas Songs

I was just eyeing this one that I want to order from the EWTN Religious Catalog. It's a string quartet CD, and I know I'd LOVE it!
REJOICE!

Amy Grant's Christmas albums, especially Tennesee Christmas

Kenny Roger's Christmas He has many nice ones, but this is my favorite. It has *When a Child is Born*, which I absolutely love, and makes me cry!

I could go on, and on, and on. Christmas is what brings JOY to my heart, and Christmas music is my favorite. These that I shared are those that have given me so much joy over the years.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2006 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Yay! So many more wonderful suggestions! I can get MORE for my collection this year!!!!        

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2006 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Amy Grant
Bing Crosby
Nat King Cole-we play him every Christmas morning while we open gifts
Steven Curtis Chapman
Andy Williams
Harry Connick

Several years in a row I bought the Hallmark Christmas CD which was a good price when purchasing something in the store...they always have very good artists and songs.

Marybeth

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2006 at 12:55am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Can you believe my kid's like Manheim Steamroller so much they'll play it year round?

Don't answer that.

We also like Christmas in Vienna with Placido Domingo, Jose Carrera and Diana Ross.

Anything with Nat King Cole or Harry Connick, Jr (hubba hubba) is good, too.

Oh, we also like Big Band Christmas music.

My favorite carols are O Holy Night and Silent Night and The Little Drummer Boy.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Nov 07 2006 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

OK...technology has helped me to build my own favorite Christmas music collection , but here are some sources for my faves:

I love the Lester Family CDs both for learning harmonies, and for their great musical selections. We have used their products since the children were little to learn harmonies, rounds and traditional cannons. And it works! Now my kids are very musical, but it's still amazing for me to hear them pull a harmony line out of "thin air" as we sing in the car, or even at church. Their Christmas selections include:
Silent Night
Away in a Manger
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
Hark the Herald Angels Sing
Joy to the World
We Three Kings
And More...

I also love The Watersons, though they didn't have a Christmas album until last year, when they were repackaged as "Yorkshire Christmas" (link above). Their seasonal CD, Frost and Fire has quite a few Advent/Christmas tunes, as well as some Easter and All Soul's pieces. The Waterson's are not everyone's taste ...they are kind of like vocal bagpipes, so if you can't stand pipes, keep away for the Watersons! The kids and I love them, though.

There are a few vocal pieces on
A Cello Christmas, including the uber-exuberant cello, tympani and vocal version of Gaudete, a must-listen for the third Sunday of Advent (I have heard many slower versions of this piece, but there is nothing more purely joyful than this amazing and fast-paced hymn!!).

And, since I was on a bit of a Rutter kick this fall, I just bought Rutter's Dancing Day from Amazon UK. Dancing Day itself is one of my favorite carols, and Rutter's arrangements of carols, sung by Toronto Children's Choir, is amazing.

I think that rounds out my opinion on Christmas music. Now I am so in the mood to hear some!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2006 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

ladybugs wrote:

My favorite carols are O Holy Night and Silent Night and The Little Drummer Boy.

I don't have a favorite CD, but specific songs I had to find that I heard as a child. My mom played all the German music (I can't name a single Album, but remember church bells in the music -- she still plays those albums) and my dad played Motown artists.

Last year, I *had* to find Mahalia Jackson singing O Holy Night. The Christmas CD I bought has wonderful songs. I played it even after Christmas....drove my kids nuts. LOL

Stevie Wonder singing Ave Maria & Little Drummer Boy...chills....the memories.

Of course, Nat King Cole's Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire.....his entire album.

I enjoy listening to Andrea Bocelli's Sacred Arias all year, but the way he sings Ave Maria (Schubert) brings me to tears.

I don't have one specific CD, but many singles that I'd love to have on one or two Christmas CDs.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2006 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Yesterday the boys and I broke out the Polar Express soundtrack!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version