Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Quick survey ?--religious upbringing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Hi Moms,

In terms of your upbringing do you consider yourself:

A. Cradle Catholic, practicing and devoted
B. Convert from Protestantism
C. Convert from Non-Christian Religion
D. Convert from Atheism, Agnostism, Secularism
E. Revert from Catholicism, lax or "in-name-only"
F. Other!

Thank you for answering another getting-to-know-you query!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

I think I'm an "E"...I'm a cradle Catholic, and we went to church on Sundays and holy days, but that's about it.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Michaela

E -- "in-name-only"

When asked, I'd say I was Catholic. Now I understand why people would roll their eyes at me. LOL   

My parents only took us to church one time when I was 16 or 17. My grandmother came to visit from Germany and she was a practicing Catholic. When Sunday came, she expected us all to attend with her. We said bedtime prayers & sometimes prayed before meals, oh & lit candles 4 Sundays before Christmas (the extent of Advent) & Easter -- more about the bunny than Jesus (no Lent). That was the extent of any religious instruction in my home. I've learned more in the past 1-2 years than the 34 years before.

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I'm a B. Baptized a United Methodist, raised as a generic Protestant (in the US Military chapel system), confirmed as a United Methodist in high school, was "saved" and rebaptized as a Southern Baptist after college, spent 6 years as a Southern Baptist before my entry (being confirmed again!) into the Catholic Church in 2000.
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I'm B.

I was raised and baptised in the Church of the Nazarene, became an Episcopalian (was confirmed)when I was 23, and was received into the Catholic Church in 1998, when I was 33.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I'm between A & E. Born and raised Catholic, practicing, devoted, but just in the past few years really understanding what being Catholic means.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I'm a D and E. Raised with no church, became a Catholic at 19, and a revert (along with my dh who is a cradle Catholic) over the last several years.

Carole N.
From the Hearland
Back to Top View Carole N.'s Profile Search for other posts by Carole N.

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Nina,
I am mostly in B with just a touch of D. I was raised in an Evangelical home, baptized as an infant, made a "born again" decision when I was about five, but in my teenage years I lapsed in my faith quite a bit and lived and thought in mostly secular terms for a while. I got back on track with my faith before I married, then converted to Catholicism afterwards; confirmed 16 years ago. My husband is a cradle Catholic.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

I am a B, with a sprinkle of E.

My mom had me baptized Catholic (single 18 yr old, it was all she knew to do for me - which says a lot about her, I think). She met my dad and they attended Lutheran services until I was about 6 - I was never confirmed Lutheran. Rode a Baptist "church bus" to Sunday school from grades 2 - 5 (or there about). "Saved" about the 5th grade - which is a story unto itself. Quit during junior high years. In high school I discovered the "Vineyard" and was a very happy evangelical fundamentalist for quite a few years.

Then, a friend of mine decided to attend a Christmas Eve Mass (she was a Vineyard devotee too, but we were about 19, our own church didn't have any Christmas Eve service and it seemed "daring" at the time). That experience haunted me for some time.

I met my dh - a cradle catholic (in name only). He wanted to marry in a Catholic church, and I was ready to leave hime for it (during the 5 years we were dating it never once occurred to me that his Catholicism was that important to him) - I could never vow to raise my kids Catholic. Then the Christmas Eve service came back to memory, a few other beauties of the Catholic church caught my interest. Then a few books. Then, voila, confirmed into the Catholic church in 2001.

It humbles me to think I was baptized Catholic as an infant, and that it took 28 years later to come home.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

My upbringing is "A" - My parents are very devout and definitely brought us up with strong and practicing faith in the household.

This is very interesting to see the responses.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

B! I was raised Episcopal, by a mum who had been Baptist before she married my dad, who was raised Episcopal, but attended whichever church my grandpa was singing at. (My dad's parents were Anglican- my grandpa was from England and my grandma from Germany, converted from Lutheran to my grandpa's faith.)
I became Catholic at 1983 Easter Vigil, by the Grace of God.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 7:14pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I guess I would say E. Both parents were Catholic, Dad converted shortly before they married, though through his own preference (he had been raised nominally Methodist). By the time I was in high school, my mother had become disgusted in general with the Catholic church (don't ask!). My father had never attended church with my mother, sister, and me; he went every Sunday and Holy Day, but alone (again, don't ask). During my high school years, my mother, sister, and I began attending a Methodist church; my father continued to go to Mass. As I started college, I didn't go to church. Junior year of college, as dh and I started "getting serious", we felt it was important to our future family life that we share our faith. I returned to the Catholic Church, with the commitment to actually learn what she really teaches, rather than reject her based on parental prejudices. It has been a good thing (understatement of the century).

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

stefoodie wrote:
I'm between A & E. Born and raised Catholic, practicing, devoted, but just in the past few years really understanding what being Catholic means.

Ditto, what Stef said!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

"A" applies to me.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

I didn't really know what to put, as I'm really a convert from nothing. I've always believed in God and in Christ His Son, but I don't know why or where it came from.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

D. Raised agnostic/athiest.
Converted 14 years ago and never looked back!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

I am A and F. I was born and raised by a committed devoted Catholic family, and was very devout myself, when I met dh in high school. After a trauma in high school I was looking for a devoted man of God and dh, a very devoted Protestant, was the most Godly man I found. So, though we were both committed to our own separate faiths, we married. Initially, he forbade me from practicing though he did allow me to go to confession. Over the years he has softened slowly and allowed us more and more participation in my Faith. Though we still attend both churches (all together as a family), my children received their 1st Holy Communion this year! He is a good man, wanting to do right in the eyes of God. It has been a rough road for both of us, but there have been many blessings as well.
Back to Top View MichelleW's Profile Search for other posts by MichelleW

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Dawn wrote:
stefoodie wrote:

Ditto, what Stef said!

Ditto Stef and Dawn

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

A...for the most part. When we moved to NY, we (my mother and brothers) stopped attending church at our parish, after coming from a neo-Gothic-type church with kneelers and communion rail (gone now, I see) and coming to a "parish hall" with orange plastic chairs and no kneeling, random liturgy, etc. In college, even though Mass was in the (neo-Gothic) chapel, it was more   "like" Mass iykwim. Tried to be good ever since .

However, I have learned way more about being Catholic since becoming a Catholic wife and mother than I ever knew as a youth.

Of course, then there was the whole Buddhist thing with my parents in their hippie days .

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 31 2006 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

I'm an A & E. I stopped practicing in college and returned to the Church when I was engaged to my dh, 10 years ago.

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version