Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: School with "Morning Sickness" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

We're announcing a new person coming into our lives.

However, I have horrible all day and night morning sickness, unrelenting. . . with no relief.

What would you prioritze as important to get done each day?

What did you do to cope? Last time we did nothing, but this time I'd like the kids to do something, even if its minimal. I'm really worried about how we'll do any school.

I'm 5 weeks now and the nausea is creeping on. By next week I could be very sick, if its anything like the other 6 first trimesters.

I'm scared to suffer so much. Do you ever feel like that when you see that positive test?

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

I also have severe morning sickness throughout my pregnancies. Since I can not be vertical for long and have difficulties talking, my oldest always has to step up to the plate.

The kids that can read continue to do their lessons (many workbooks, etc..) and they also read to the littles A LOT! Their book reading (and movies) cover almost every topic but Math. I have all school kids narrate orally to me as I lie on the couch.

Math is mostly done using computer games, flashcards, and board games that require little from me.

I'm so sorry you have this cross. Sometimes it is hard to feel the joy when you first have to go through 10M of stomach flu! I always have cramping when I ovulate so I know chances are favorable for pregnancy. It honestly makes it hard to enjoy the moment!

Praying for courage and strength!

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

Absolutely. I suffer with hyperemesis gravida during my pregnancies, and often have to do the non-stop zofran in order to remain even slightly human during the whole first 16 weeks or so.

Doing school consisted of them bringing books and sitting beside me on the bed. We would do what we could, and hope for the best There were lots of days I didn't leave the bedroom.

Try to stay as hydrated as you can. I know that's extremely difficult when even sips of anything can start a vomiting episode, but hydration really does help. And if you can stand the thought of any kind of protein--protein helps with nausea, "they say."

The kind of nausea I get is the mind-numbing, overwhelming, "don't talk to me, don't turn on a light, don't make me open my eyes" kind--so I try to be as aggressive as I can to try to head it off. Getting too far down the road makes it very difficult to get back to a "normal" level.

You'll be in my prayers!

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Sarah in SC wrote:

The kind of nausea I get is the mind-numbing, overwhelming, "don't talk to me, don't turn on a light, don't make me open my eyes" kind--so I try to be as aggressive as I can to try to head it off. Getting too far down the road makes it very difficult to get back to a "normal" level.

You'll be in my prayers!

Thanks ladies. You understand.

Even certain lighting makes me sick not mention smells, colors, sounds, temperature. I wake up frequently with my heart racing (probably hydration issues).

These next weeks will be a challenge for us.

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

Congratulations Sarah! At times such as those, we homeschool from my bed. It doesn't mean I'm necessarily actively schooling, but I'm present (sometimes sleeping even).

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Congratulations!

I think I have blocked out the first 20 weeks of my twin pregnancy, because when I try to remember what we did, I just can't. Of course, we were moving at the time, but still... I know we did *some* thing.

Mostly I think they did a lot of their work on the floor beside the couch, where I could answer questions if necessary. And sometimes they would sit beside me and read to me. As I recall, we didn't do too much written work for various reasons... I just read, read, read to them a lot.

My biggest problem was always that I was constantly hungry, but everything made me sick. And if I didn't eat, that made the nausea worse. If I did eat, though... who knows if it would actually make it down.

My sympathy and prayers!

--Angela
Mom to 3+2
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 17 2006 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Congratulations!
Sarah wrote:
I'm scared to suffer so much. Do you ever feel like that when you see that positive test?

I worry each month I am pg, not that I wouldn't welcome a new addition, but the morning sickness (who called it that anyway?, I get it all day) and having school get thrown off again is nearly a paralyzing fear. I loose 20 lbs each pregnancy and spend nearly all of the first 4 months horizontal. I totally sympathize.

Time for video/audio school? Stock up on books on tape and good videos and have them watch/listen when you don't feel well. That's how I survived my last pregnancy.

One thing I did this year when I thought I was pg is, I bought several Playmobil items on clearance. I planned to pull them out on bad days to give them something new to do. Older children I know will be fine, but the little guys are harder to please when their routine is thrown off.

As far as school goes, can you pick 2 things that must be done and skip the rest until you feel better? Religion, science, and history can be picked up through video/audio. If Math and English or whatever gets done maybe you won't worry as much.
God bless.

MarieC
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 4:16am | IP Logged Quote MarieC

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I do want to say CONGRATULATIONS!! and that I will be praying for you.

Out in the Orchard
Back to Top View MarieC's Profile Search for other posts by MarieC

rivendellmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote rivendellmom

I had all day sickness with my last pregnancy and my advice is to cook a lot of meals this week and freeze them. My older kids were great last time and we schooled from bed. I also did non stop zofran. But, the hardest thing for us was eating. My older kids didn't cook beyond convenience foods and my DH often doesn't make it home until 7:30pm- so dinners were hard. We'll be praying for you!

Congrats!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Congratulations Sarah! I've lots of thoughts on all-day-long, the-whole-nine-months sickness, but they will have to wait until later today. For now, I just wanted to welcome your wee one!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Sarah,

No suggestions, but I wanted to offer my congratulations and prayers for you! I'm so happy to hear about a new addition to your family!

Dawn

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Congratulations Sarah! We will pray for you. Even though we're not big on workbooks here, I ordered some for my kids when I was pregnant with my last baby. I was too sick to teach most of the day. I love the idea of just snuggling in the bed and reading, but I couldn't even read to them. So, they all got out their workbooks and I felt like at least they were getting something.
Blessings!
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

Congrats Sarah!!!! I will add you to my prayers!!!

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Thanks everyone. . .

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Woohoo, Sarah! I'm so happy about your news, but understand the trepidation. Prayers for you!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sarah in SC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah in SC

Sarah wrote:

Even certain lighting makes me sick not mention smells, colors, sounds, temperature. I wake up frequently with my heart racing (probably hydration issues).

Oh, Sarah. I can remember my last pregnancy that my husband replaced a light bulb in a lamp with a flourescent bulb. The color that the new bulb reflected onto the wall was enough to send me straight to the bathroom & then straight to bed. The sight of a label on a can of soup or vegetables could be enough to start an episode of vomiting. Getting too hot (waiting in the carpool lane at CCD) was horrible. My children playing too loud or shrieking at one another during playtime could just knock me straight into the bathroom to stay.

I felt like no one understood at all. None of my friends had had anything but "normal" morning sickness--and they seemed to think I was some kind of weenie for not being able to "shake it." It was disheartening and depressing. I am so sorry you are having to go thru this.

Have you talked with your doctor about the meds that might help you? There's also a website to support women with HG: www.helpher.org   (You may have to sift through some of the info, as it is a site for all women with HG, and a few have made sad decisions--but they have message boards with very supportive women there.)

Please feel free to PM me or email me anytime if you feel the need to "lean" on someone who has really, truly, been there, done that, got the maternity t-shirt.

You are in my prayers!!

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Yea! Congratulations, Sarah!

I wish I had some advice on "coping" with morning sickness! Mine is so bad that my only goals have been to get a bath at some point during the day and to try to eat something (me AND the kids).

I pretty much couch it all day (between bathroom runs) and the kids play around me. I do have a learning "center" chart (centers are similar to Montessori) so the older ones can pick and choose SOMETHING to do for themselves. I usually rely on our oldest to run errands in the house and turn on music or pull out quiet activities for the littler ones. As for school, it's handwriting and math-type workbooks, but no big deal (I don't check them. It's just something for them to do, like coloring books...)

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Thanks again for all the info and support.

I have tried all the drugs for nausea-Reglan, Zofran, Compazine (sp?).

Compazine is the only one that completely takes away the nausea, but it snows me and is category "C" so its not even worth the trouble.

In the heat of it I have gotten IV's and that does help.

I am going to try a very positive attitude this time and see how that helps me. It is easy for me to get very down when I fell my world is falling apart.

My goal is to get dressed and get everyone else dressed, and get outside everyday, even if I'm lying on the grass .

Other than that I don't want to set too many unrealistic goals.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Sarah,
Congratulations and prayers for you and your little one. I will pray for strength to handle your debilitating nausea...It's a long road but worth the precious bundle you get at the end, right?

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Congratulations, Sarah! How exciting for you!

I have no advice but I will pray.

With my 1st and 4th I had debilitating all day sickness that lasted 9 months....I could barely keep anything down!

to you and yours!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version