Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Springerle cookies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Does anyone have any experience in making Springerle cookies? Are they are nice tasting biscuit? Do you have a particular receipe you could recommend and any particular advise in the cooking of them?

Thank you!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Anne,

Have you feasted your eyes on this site, House on the Hill?

I haven't made springerle, but their recipe is supposed to be perfect. I don't like the taste of anise. I use the molds for speculaas cookies instead...as I love the spices!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Dear Jenn,

Well it was thanks to reading the St Michael's thread that I got onto the lovely website! I saw the receipe there, so I would be interested to know if anyone has had any experience in using it.

So you can use the molds for speculaas cookies? I rang the lady in the US this morning and she said the molds could only be used for springerle and maybe gingerbread.   Well I don't like gingerbread, but spices sound nice Jenn, the patterns come out ok? Do you have a good receipe to recommend for that type of cookie? Thank you so much for your help in this so far!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Dear Jenn,

I just have to add here Jenn....5 mins ago the postman came and delivered, "Cooking for Christ".....YIPEE! Thanks for referring me to this book, I am very happy with it's condition and I am about to sit down and have a good read!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I can't believe this...I post that I am looking for various receipes for the springerle and I have just spotted one in the Cooking for Christ!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

aussieannie wrote:
I can't believe this...I post that I am looking for various receipes for the springerle and I have just spotted one in the Cooking for Christ! [LOL ]

I'm so happy you got it so fast!

Now, I haven't done springerle because I'm a creature of habit. We love the speculatius (or speculaas) from Cooking for Christ. We bought some smaller molds with wedding symbols on them and used them to make cookies as my wedding favors.

The images are on the cookie, but do spread a more than springerle images. But we like the taste better.

My sister did most of the work. When you make the dough, refrigerate in small batches, and only use a small amount at a time. Spray the molds with some kind of cooking spray, use a paper towel to take out excess, and then press deeply into the mold.

It's a little more difficult than springerle, but they were a big hit at my wedding.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ooh, we don't use lard in our cookies. That might keep the shape better, but I prefer using all butter in the recipe.

My challenge this year is to make the cookies free of wheat and dairy. Since it's egg free I have a little headstart.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Hi Anne,
We make springerle every year. I have my grandma's (Margareta Helena Zopff) springerle boards that she brought from Germany, way back in early 1900's.
If you like black licorice, you may like springerle, as they have anise on them. If you hate black licorice, well, you probably wouldn't like them. Only my oldest ds and I like them! And my dad (whose mom is the one from Germany.)

Springerle:
4 whole eggs
1 pound flour (about 4 cups)
1 pound sugar (about 2 cups)
1 grated lemon (meaning the zest- although I do add some squeezes of the lemon juice to the recipe, because I love lemon!)
1 t hartshorn salt (we substitute baking powder, as this is bought at the pharmacy- it would be an interesting ingredient for your dc to do a search and find the origins!)
1/4 t salt

Beat eggs until lemon colored; add sugar gradually and continue to beat- (there is a note that if you are doing this by hand it will take about 40 minutes!)
Add "hartshorn salt" and grated lemon. Add flour. The last of the flour will have to be added with a "cook spoon." Knead until you have a soft firm dough. Place in refrigerator about one hour. (Refrigerating is important, otherwise the dough may be difficult to remove from the boards.)

Divide the dough into four parts and start rolling it out one-fourth inch thick.
Powder the boards well "with a little bag of flour." Press out on your springerle molds (take the dough and lay it over the molds, "using flour bag to push the dough into the molds." (We just press with our hands!)
Remove from the board. Trim each cookie, using the trimmings over again on the board. Set them out over night in a cool place.

Bake in the morning in a slow 250 degree oven about 10 minutes. Before placing cookies on a well-greased baking sheet, sprinkle one tablespoon anise seed over the tops. Only the bottom of the cookie should be light tan; the top white. Makes about 90 springerles.

This is her recipe that was run in the Detroit News back in the late 30's or 40's (the top is cut off, so I only know it was on the 5th of Dec.) Some directions may use older terms. What is in parentheses are my adds.

These can last a really long time, and can get really hard (good for dunking in tea or coffee,) but we like them softer.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I just had a quick thought.
If you wanted to try the springerle, but don't like anise, you could just leave the seeds off. I have noticed other recipes calling for a liquid flavoring of anise, but my grandmother always used the seeds.
Just an idea!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI

p.s. I am going to give the other cookies that Jenn mentioned a try with my non-springerle loving crowd!
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 5:08am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Thank you also Stacy for that info!

Interestingly enough - 3 of my husband's 4 grandparents have German heritage so it is nice to think I could be bringing back something that may have been used on his family line centuries ago.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version